1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Can I use ETK K-Series name / badge in another game as a mod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evolution, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse

Hello! Few days ago I send an email to licensing@beamng.gmbh, but not sure if its the right one, so I will ask here too.
    I've asked the author of this mod ( https://www.beamng.com/resources/1994-etk-k-series.20482/ ) for permission to use his 3D model - he gave me permission and I've converted it as an official mod for Live for Speed - https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/A3D29D

But I'm not sure if I can use the official BeamNG.drive ETK K-Series name and logo?

Also I've another question - can I convert the 3D model of Cherrier Vivace or other official BeamNG.drive car as an official mod for Live for Speed?
    The mods in LFS are free*, I think It's a non-commercial usage, the only gain would be an increased LFS S3 licenses sold if people like the mod(s). *Official mods require an S3 license.

I really enjoy both games and it would be nice if that's possible.

Thanks!

#1 Evolution, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine the prior is most likely fine, though I'm not entirely sure about the latter.

I do recall there being a couple of BeamNG cars being ported to GTA V, and iirc, some of them were taken down (though that may be for a different reason).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

i mean, ive seen the Gavril D series as a mod for assetto corsa, as long as you credit the developers of the game/mod

4. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the replies, but I hope to receive an official answer... otherwise I will remove the mod and upload it again with different name and logo.

5. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine @Leeloo would be able to help you out with this one

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. surprisinguser1

surprisinguser1
    Expand Collapse

You only need to contact the licensing department if you plan on getting a BeamNG.tech license/need an exception or addition to the game's current EULA. The game and its contents are all governed by the EULA. Keep in mind the BeamNG is still copyrighted work in most countries. Pay close attention to section 2, please.

7. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

Contact a licensing department for a fictional brand? Hell nah, I think you didn't read the first post correctly.

From my understanding the ETK name and logo are free of use as long as you credit BeamNG

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. surprisinguser1

surprisinguser1
    Expand Collapse

I said you only need to contact the licensing department if you need to need to modify the standard license for BeamNG or if you need a BeamNG.tech license. Also, section 10 of the EULA allows you to make anything you want from the game as a mod, regardless of the game. I think you might need this.

9. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

That section 10 seems like something a lot of people should read. Especially the people who get mad at the devs that some mods broke. The mod maker has the responsibility to fix his mods, not the devs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

He never asked for a BeamNG.tech license though, so I have no idea why you came up with that. He was asking for more info concerning the use of the ETK branding (which it is perfectly fine to use for other games)

You're not helping anybody with your passive-aggressive attitude either.

11. surprisinguser1

surprisinguser1
    Expand Collapse

12. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

You're limiting yourself to a single sentence as you did not read the entire post.

13. surprisinguser1

surprisinguser1
    Expand Collapse

§ 10 License to BeamNG and other users for User Generated Content
    10.0 User Generated content shall be defined as any kind of content that is generated by the user within or for the Game Including, but not limited to replays, skins, textures, mods, lap times, leaderboard entries, etc
    10.1 If you create, transfer, share, send, submit, post or upload any User Generated Content you will still own the User Generated Content (assuming you have rights to own it) but you grant BeamNG the right to use your User Generated Content to the extent outlined below without the need of further permission or without any form of compensation. By transferring, sharing, sending, submitting, posting, uploading or making available User Generated Content on beamng.com or any of BeamNG's services, you grant BeamNG a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and fully sub-licensable license to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, modify, adapt, translate, archive, store the User Generated Content, and create derivative works from your User Generated Content, in any form, format or medium of any kind now known or later developed and for the entire duration of the intellectual property rights. If BeamNG sells the User Generated Content or integrates it into its software, BeamNG will compensate the creators and will conclude a separate license agreement with them. BeamNG is not obliged to use or distribute your User Generated Content.
    10.2 With respect to BeamNG you waive any moral rights you might have with respect to any User Generated Content you provide to BeamNG.
    10.3 The user should not setup special usage terms or license fees if the User Generated Content is distributed or advertised within the beamng.com website and services of BeamNG.
    10.4 In addition, by transferring, sharing, sending, submitting, posting, uploading or making available User Generated Content on the internet, you acknowledge that other users may use, copy and archive your User Generated Content and create derivate works.
    10.5 BeamNG is not responsible for enforcing any rights you may have with respect to your User Generated Content against other users. If you have a dispute with another user, you are responsible for contacting other users directly, do not contact BeamNG.
    10.6 As creator of User Generated Content you are obliged to follow BeamNG's instructions to fix bugs in the User Generated Content if you want your User Generated Content to be released to the public on BeamNG's website. You may however choose at any point to remove User Generated Content from the beamng.com website. Your removal will not affect any rights of any user who has already obtained access to a copy of your User Generated Content.
    10.7 The creator of User Generated Content is responsible to keep the User Generated Content up-to-date with any features of the Game. BeamNG reserves the right to modify the Game, which may result in User Generated Content not working anymore. It is not in BeamNG's responsibility to fix User Generated Content.
    10.8 BeamNG reserves the right to modify, reupload, change or take down the User Generated Content without further notice and without reason.
    10.9 You are responsible for the User Generated Content that you uploaded and warrant that the same does not infringe third parties' intellectual property or other rights and that the User Generated Content does not violate any laws in any country. You agree to indemnify defend and hold BeamNG harmless from any claims, costs or expenses (including legal expenses) arising from a violation of this clause.

Here is something I think everyone on this site needs to read. @Evolution, this means that you are free to create mods within the game and distribute them as you wish. Go ahead and port the Vivace to Live for Speed. I'm sure it will be wonderful :D

Let's face it, there is no point in this argument. We are arguing in a thread that a dude made so he could ask for permission to port a vehicle that neither of us made to a game that, most likely, neither of us play. I was just a bit bitter at being woken up at 2 AM. Sorry for everything I said, and I wish you a good day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice