Can the carbed engines not rev up after starting up?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Dr. Death, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

its a very simple fix but after i noticed it i just cant stop being weirded out by the fact that all cars rev up to 2k RPM after starting, even if its a very old fuel injected car or a carbed old car.

2. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

They are on the throttle when starting, my bronco revs to about 1500-2000 rpm when it kicks, then goes down to idle, its a 4.9 EFI

3. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

because it has a computer-regulated idle valve. Carbs dont. You can always say that its an "automatic process" in which it simulates you going on the throttle a bit when starting it but even then its not quite like how it happens. Wouldn't it be just easier to have the starter take longer and then slowly rise to idle instead of having it start immediatly and rev high for no reason?

4. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

i wish carbureted engines were harder to start when cold, especially the basic little pigeon engine which wouldn't have any kind of fancy idling tech. i wish you would need to actually apply some throttle or prime the engine upon startup, and i really wish efi engines would idle higher in the cold, to warm up faster. i understand that having to start a difficult, cold, carbureted engine could be too much effort for a casual player, but all the casual players either use arcade mode or assists. it could be grouped in with the gearbox assists, and if you didn't want your engine idling higher you could check the box to pre-heat it. this could actually give some reason to warm up your engine, since you'll feel it trying to warm itself up and it will make it seem more important

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

its probably something that just isn't implemented yet since that would make different code for carbs and efi

6. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

It's not very difficult to implement a choke/autochoke/ECU idle high settings usuing LUA. Look at the satsuma, it has a choke programmed in with LUA.

7. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Yep. I know it might be asking for too much sometimes. But its these -VERY- small details that make perfection and show how dedicated the devs can be to be perfect with some car mechanics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I think the devs have proven how dedicated they are with the amount of VERY small details already in game. Give it time

9. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

The game could have an automated choke. Most automotive engine carburetors have what is called a "high idle cam" or a "fast idle cam" connected to the choke plate. When the choke is engaged, the high idle cam will open the throttle plate a bit to allow the engine to run at a bit higher of an RPM for easier starting. Once the engine has started, you can then disengage the choke and the idle should drop, but on some engines the high idle cam will stay in place until the throttle is pressed enough to release it. That's why in some carbureted engines the idle does not come down until after you press the throttle the first time.

#9 atv_123, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

You can already configure how long the startup takes and how much rpm overshoot there is :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Where? in the individual car files?

12. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

yeah, just add some lines of code. i was gonna mention this before, but i figured you knew, and just wanted the devs to change it by default.

13. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i am not asking really "is it possible?" I dont mind this detail too much and its not just for me, i just thought that it would be one of those nice details. Same as when the carbed engines had the rev limiter removed a few versions ago.

14. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

not super knowledgeable about this subject, but carbureted engines most likely wouldn't have a rev limiter, however didn't they usually contain a mechanical governor like the kind inside a lawnmower engine? this would mean they should have a soft-cut "rev limiter" in beam, shouldn't it?

15. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Not really. Most large American carbureted engines would happily rev themselves until valve float. Smaller European engines usually ran out of power before they could damage themselves. Generally the only way to limit a larger carbureted engine was by cutting spark, which would dump fuel into the exhaust, to potentially catastrophic results.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Only some carbed engines of the late era had an electronic cut.

You are correct. Except in the last part. Dumping fuel into the exhaust is not catastrophic. Unless you care about the catalityc converter in a modern car. The worst side effect it would have would probably have an after fire occur in the exhaust but that's about it. Using more fuel than required is a common practice in performance mods to help cool the exhaust and the overal burn chamber, and cars today also use spark cuts as rev limiters. Using fuel injection cuts its a rather very modern design in only first world countries. If you go to get a 10 year old spanish car, or an old Fiat Uno with EFI, you will see they still used spark cuts.

17. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Carbed engines from the 60's-80s most often did not come factory with a rev limiter. (Which is why some of the stock setups on older vehicles in Beam don't make sense) But aftermarket rev limiters for the ignition were bought for those that cared about the engine they had built. Probably from... dun dun duhhh... Direct Connection! :cool:

18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Spark cut is what my carb engines had, except american ones that were too lazy to rev so high to damage themselves and valve float did not damage them either, just acted as natural rev limiter.

Starting carb engine required to pump gas few times, then have choke out, start up and it did happily rev upon starting, with hot engine tiny bit of gas pedal open helped to start and again it did cause rev to rise on start up then come back to normal.

19. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

i figured it would rev up when you pumped the gas pedal, kinda like when you can't get your gardening tools or lawnmower or go kart or whatever to start up and you rub some gas on the air filter and it happily sucks it up and rumbles with delight on the first pull.

but i do wish carbureted engines would require a little more than just turning the key to start in beam, and i wish fuel could maybe sputter a bit more, just very very very short variations in load to simulate uneven fuel delivery (which could be turned stronger or weaker/off in the jbeam). this would alter the sound of the engine slightly, not the sound samples, but the way it is presented in game with sort of microscopic sputters from the variation in engine load/throttle. i also wish you could kinda bog it down when you pump the gas pedal on and off repeatedly with a small carbureted engine, and it could make the engine stop running if you do it in when idling. sort of a delay between when you go full throttle and when the engine actually responds, and it loses a bit of torque during that time and can be stalled from too high of an air/fuel ratio as a result.

y'know what i mean? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

There's also another problem is that fuel-injected engine cuts fuel on engine braking, carbed engine doesn't. However in BeamNG carbed engine shows infinity MPG when engine braking too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice