WIP CANYON OF SPEED II : Asphalt Revenge (COS AR)

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by DoullPepper, Mar 6, 2017.

1. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

100.jpg

CANYON OF SPEED II : Asphalt Revenge (COS AR)

A new extreme track in perspective!

By creating this thread I wanted to share my work on this map since the beginning, share some time technics of creation, if someone want advices.

Well, and now a little description of this futur map :

I really love the first canyon of speed atmosphere and track, and now by using the stuff already done in COS I, I want to use it in COS II AR and more to create a really best map.
    Try to stick as much as possible to the title, the real meaning of "canyon" and "speed".
    To do that I took a 20 km*20 km heightmap of the Grand Canyon-USA (near the sky walk and west airport) and improve it with world machine.
    The size of the map will be 6144*6144 meters, I thought that exceed 4096 was not a good idea but in 6144 the resolution of the shape stay correct.

What is planned?

- A very big track with a lot of technical escapes and shortcuts, thinking to test the maximum possibilities
    of a real car, all stunts must be possible but insane!
    - I want this track possible to the AI too, to do the race with.
    - It will be possible to acceed to point of interest of the track by easy path or roads outside of the track.

The best description would be a race like track mania but realistic. And add also realistic roads, paths, an airport, a lot of bridges, mines with maze of tunnels ( some deadly ascapes!;)), broken highways, etc.

Well I hope you will like it and follow me on this project. (or not)! xD

279.jpg 101.jpg 102.jpg 276.jpg 20.jpg 103.jpg
    39.jpg
    --- Post updated ----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I WILL REPORT HERE USEFUL THINGS SAID ON THIS THREAD :

* I use this site : https://terrain.party/

When you export the files from this site you have a zipped folder with different qualities of heightmaps, it depend of satelites and regions of the world.

For exemple in this place you have only 3 files and precision is 30 meters. Use aster(30m) heightmap.

1.jpg

But in United States you have the USGS geological survey with a better precision. Use USGS (10m) heightmap.
    2.jpg

Also more you take a little scare (8km*8km minimum) more the terrain will be precise because your height map is limited to 1081 pixels in terrain party.

* When you take a 1081 heightmap in terrain party and put it directly in the torque , it don't work because you must change the resolution to do it compatible : 1024 or 2048 or 4096 pixels. Also the mode of texture must be in Grey level and not RVB channels. Then it must be save in 16 bits.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wanted to share the setting with you so I have uploaded a zip folder with the world machine files, macros used, the height map test and overlays for BCORE macro.
    Also it is a simplified adjustment of the original setting, in the video I show the process of creation and importation in Beam editor. There are no comments or explanations in the video otherwise it would be too easy for you!:D
    If you follow the video and play with this setting of World Machine you can already create beautiful maps. (I hope...) You can modified colors or setting in macros to do a green map or other renders.

* There are some steps to follow before :

- First you must begin your map with the beam template in the game. follow this beginning of this tutorial https://www.beamng.com/threads/tutorial-how-to-create-your-own-map-for-beamng-drive.19598/
    VERY IMPORTANT : When you want to import an height map in beam, it don't work if your files are in document/beam/levels, you must have your levels folder in the main installation folder of the game.
    - Then you must create your terrain materials in the game before import heightmap.
    - This template of world machine create :
    * a detail height map for the game
    * textures Overlays for your terrain materials (in the video you can see the texture from the BCORE macro,and an other is a mix between Bcore and UDK macro, it's simply to add more details to the overlay and particularly the flow detail) and these textures must be mirrored vertically in GIMP to match correctly with the terrain in beam.
    * And next, 4 textures in black and white. These textures must match with terrain materials in the beam editor. The black is translucent and white match to the terrain texture. These textures are after modified in GIMP to change the mode RVB to the mode grey scale.(only one channel).

Here there are only 4 textures but you can add as much as terrain materials you want.

Attached Files:

#1 DoullPepper, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  2. grayman9000

grayman9000
    Expand Collapse

Cant wait for this. really hyped.

3. Giraffinator

Giraffinator
    Expand Collapse

Looks awesome already! Can't wait.

4. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

This looks so amazing man. I hope that you still have some high speed roads on top of all the offroad!

5. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Sure! ;)

6. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Looks beautiful! The river is awesome:cool:. This should be fun to follow!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

what do you use to make heightmaps?

8. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I never made a river before, it brings something very alive to the map, all the down of canyon will have rivers and little streams with falls. I have planed a cave with underground rivers too.. Maybe duplicate the rock library and assign an other materials with a specular modification to do a wet visual aspect.:confused:

I use this site : https://terrain.party/

When you export the files from this site you have a zipped folder with different qualities of heightmaps, it depend of satelites and regions of the world.

For exemple in this place you have only 3 files and precision is 30 meters. Use aster(30m) heightmap.
    1.jpg

But in United States you have the USGS geological survey with a better precision. Use USGS (10m) heightmap.
    2.jpg

Also more you take a little scare (8km*8km minimum) more the terrain will be precise because your height map is limited to 1081 pixels in terrain party.

I thought about a very fastidious technic but I have not test it. Take 16 heightmaps of 8 km in terrain party with 1081 resolution and merge it in Gimp to do a 4324*4324 heightmap resolution. But to do that correctly it should have a grid on the terrain party with landmarks.:confused:

Coming soon, a little tuto how show quickly the work on World Machine and export in beam with splat maps...:)

9. CRAZY RACER

CRAZY RACER
    Expand Collapse

Wow this looks Amaizing! And you are Always making a good map!

10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Terrain party is pretty good however I have to run it through World Machine first, before it will import into Torque. For some reason the terrain party
    export or something isn't compatible. No biggie because the heightmap is headed to WM anyway. L3TD works for this as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. airman426

airman426
    Expand Collapse

Fantastic. Even though my toaster of what once was a decent computer can't run a map like this, I can and will admire from afar, just like my wife when I was crushing on her in high school.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

VERY IMPORTANT!

When you take a 1081 heightmap in terrain party and put it directly in the torque , it don't work because you must change the resolution to do it compatible : 1024 or 2048 or 4096 pixels. Also the mode of texture must be in Grey level and not RVB channels. Then it must be save in 16 bits.

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. jdbensch

jdbensch
    Expand Collapse

This looks absolutely amazing! I'm looking forward to see how it progresses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

When something is informative or useful I will report it on the main page :)

15. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

Love it
    ''Foams at mouth"

16. Average Person

Average Person
    Expand Collapse

yes I have heard of this site and I have tryed it before but I would always get a heightmap that was I think 1081 by 1081 and if I scaled it I would get a low resolution height map, but thanks for telling me, Now there's hope of making a map larger then 2048 without buying a program.

17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I'm not aware of a program that can process 16bit heightmaps at 2048 and up for free. Usually the export size in free programs is limited to 512/1024
    for precisely this reason.

18. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

You probably can do it with GIMP 2.9 dev version. It's free , here is the download : https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.9/ Download a .bz2 (it's a compressed file)and extract it with the software 7Zip.
    I have just discovered this version of the soft, I don't have tested it yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hey, maybe 2.9 will solve my .dds export problem too ( off topic:p )...shall give this a go. Thanks!

20. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Hello all!

I have done a little video on the terrain creation with world machine,

I wanted to share the setting with you so I have uploaded a zip folder with the world machine files, macros used, the height map test and overlays for BCORE macro.
    Also it is a simplified adjustment of the original setting, in the video I show the process of creation and importation in Beam editor. There are no comments or explanations in the video otherwise it would be too easy for you!:D
    If you follow the video and play with this setting of World Machine you can already create beautiful maps. (I hope...) You can modified colors or setting in macros to do a green map or other renders.

* There are some steps to follow before :

- First you must begin your map with the beam template in the game. follow this beginning of this tutorial https://www.beamng.com/threads/tutorial-how-to-create-your-own-map-for-beamng-drive.19598/
    VERY IMPORTANT : When you want to import an height map in beam, it don't work if your files are in document/beam/levels, you must have your levels folder in the main installation folder of the game.
    - Then you must create your terrain materials in the game before import heightmap.
    - This template of world machine create :
    * a detail height map for the game
    * textures Overlays for your terrain materials (in the video you can see the texture from the BCORE macro,and an other is a mix between Bcore and UDK macro, it's simply to add more details to the overlay and particularly the flow detail) and these textures must be mirrored vertically in GIMP to match correctly with the terrain in beam.
    * And next, 4 textures in black and white. These textures must match with terrain materials in the beam editor. The black is translucent and white match to the terrain texture. These textures are after modified in GIMP to change the mode RVB to the mode grey scale.(only one channel).
    Here there are only 4 textures but you can add as much as terrain materials you want. (that why this setting of world machine is simplified)

If there are some questions after , I can answere with pleasure!:)

Attached Files:

#20 DoullPepper, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice