Car shader suggestions

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by AX53, Mar 26, 2018.

1. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Fresnel reflection shader
    Is there any plans on adding fresnel shading to the cars? The game looks great with matte cars, but as soon as you add reflections to them, especially on dark colors, the lack of fresnel makes the cars look flat. Fresnel comes standard now-days in unity and unreal engine because it's a PBR component (physically based rendering). In other words a necessary component for photo-realism. It would be amazing if beamNG could get this as well. I don't know how easy it is to integrate it in torque3d though.

What fresnel based reflections mean is essentially the reflectiveness strength should be based on the angle at which you're viewing the surface from. As you can see the reflections increase along the sides, while the middle of the ball appear flat.

Metallic
    What metallic means is essentially that the reflection is tinted after the color of the object.. Metallic cars usually have a rough metallic paint layer at the base, and a weak non metallic reflective clear coat added on top. As can be seen in the image, the reflection has no extra colors other than the red. So instead of adding the reflection map, a metallic material basically multiplies a greyscale reflection map instead.

Flip paint
    Fresnel can also be used to generate the flip paint effect, where you blend between two colors based on the fresnel. This could be a cool feature too for making some cool car paints.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Its in the devs pipeline, if you search the forums. None the less its a necessity for modern games if you ask me.

Also, im working on a version of a shader for Reshade that will get a similar result until the devs get one ingame. Cant code shaders myself so its up to Crosire and Marty McFly if they get the time to help me at the Reshade forums.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Uanpis

Uanpis
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that is currently possible in torque 3d

4. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice