career mode character

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by rcrmjc, Feb 24, 2018.

1. rcrmjc

rcrmjc
    Expand Collapse

Hello guys. im just wondering can you get out of your car in career mode? like could it be like gtav where you could walk around? I think if it isnt going to be in career mode you could update it at some point whenever and walk around and be your own character. I understand if it is to much work, but it would be a cool idea and feature to have. I cant wait for career mode to come out so keep working hard and do your job. You guys are doing really great with this game. this is my favorite game and nothing will compete with it. Thanks!!!!

2. bluehawk360

bluehawk360
    Expand Collapse

Come on man, you've been around for 2 years, you should know that their main priority is optimizing the game, adding more features related to cars, and integrating mod support.

I personally don't think this feature would be very relevant as this is a simulator and isn't for just "walking around"

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

No pedestrians will be added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bifdro

Bifdro
    Expand Collapse

It's just an idea:
    You might be able to do the BeamNG to have a character with whom you can get out of the car and walk through the entire map
    So it would be like GTA5 is just no violence, only cars and characters (s)
    (As it was in Rigs Of Rods (there was a character there)
    for example)
    And what if this character were to encounter a collision with a vehicle?
    There would be no blood, no more than a dummy
    Thanks guys!
    --- Post updated ---
    Please reply!

5. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

No, we don't need people or dummies or walking around. We need a good freeroam career, shops, individual parts repair/replace, random races and loops, good AI and a ghost multiplayer where yoi don't collide with other vehicles, just with the environment like single player. Dummies and people and walking around add nothing to those I've listed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

The team has been solid on their choice of not adding any pedestrian at all.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Shift-C, if you would bind that camera to 1.65m from ground, I guess that would be sufficient?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

There once was a first-person character rig that was left over from Torque 3D's internal game engine defaults. It could be activated from the console, and would allow the player to roam around the game world as though they were a person. However, that code (as well as a lot of unnecessary Torque defaults) was removed not too long after its discovery.

There was some hearsay from the devs about the ability to step out of one's vehicle in the final version of the game. To what end, where, in which modes of play, and under what conditions weren't specified, and this might have been a hypothetical gameplay feature, rather than a promised or work-in-progress one. It was from a long time ago whatever the case, and I don't even remember exactly where it came from (Q&A, maybe?).

A player character—especially a first-person one—is not the same as a pedestrian system. Pedestrians indicate crowds of collidable people, which both risks moral/ethical/legal/professional obligations and asks far too much of the physics engine. A non-colliding, probably non-visual character wouldn't risk either.

I'll admit that his idea isn't exactly a must-have, but it sounds like you're saying that the devs shouldn't waste the time needed to develop his idea, because they should be busy developing your ideas. A career mode with shops and races, and improved AI are things that we want, need, or have been planned for the game. But all plans for any form of multiplayer are purely up in the air right now, and no features are promised to come in any particular order.

9. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I just hope we get the ability to open more doors/hoods/etc...

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Sure, I'm being selfish. Let's add walking people. Then let's add customized features so we can make them alter egos of ourselves. After that's finished, since it's a sim, we should add grocery bills and hospital bills when we crash . Be sure to add heavy breathing sounds when we've been sprinting for too long. Because that's what BeamNG:DRIVE is about.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, which is rare, (lol) but didn't the devs say they don't want dummies or people in the cars? Probably not just to keep ratings down, but for authenticism so that we don't have characters like in wreckfest that stick out of the car or deform with the car? I'd just as soon not have anything like that. I wouldn't mind being able to swap which car you were driving, but only if you are within 30 feet of it. Maybe each junkyard should have a 10 dollar rental pigeon so you can move about the clutter easily.

My bad, making the post about myself again.

#10 Mopower77, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

^ No need to get altered. Please try to keep the discussion together without it turning into else.

To answer OP:
    This is not GTA, you won't be controlling any character.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Mopower77

Mopower77
    Expand Collapse

Okay. I was just trying to make a point, albeit, a bit over the top. It sure ended the responses fast though, didn't it? :D

So I mean... still effective, no?

13. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Well, here's the authorative word, from the "horizon" blogpost:

upload_2018-2-25_15-48-14.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That is Campaign (currently in game), this is about Career (currently not in game).

15. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-2-25_16-21-0.png

Funny thing about that ... none of these things seem likely for campaign mode, so it seems that the existing campaign mode grew out of plans for career mode.

We'd have to get a dev to confirm the name switch, but I'm operating under the assumption that they produced the existing campaign mode, and are going to make career mode in largely the same way.

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Utah Campaign Rocky start had money, but it was not possible to use it, that was in 0.8 or in 0.9, haven't tested it after that. Also you could kinda say there was events in that campaign, you had to drive to location where new race happened.

I don't know if currently much is known about career mode, except it has been coming soon for quite long time. Will it just bundle campaigns together or what there will be in it?

However for me it appears that Horizons blog post stuff is pretty much in Campain mode, Career is big unknown.

17. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Well, what's odd is that they didn't use the words "career mode" at all - just about every time the beam team talks about the future of the game at large, it gets mentioned. It seems odd that they would mention campaign mode and not talk about career mode - unless they were referring to career mode as "campaign mode" before they decided to create a separate campaign mode.

18. rcemaxx

rcemaxx
    Expand Collapse

aight i see what you mean. Ik i have been here for 2 years but i was just wondering. thanks for the reply.

19. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Over the Horizon was posted on June 19, 2016. 0.7 was the update with the first campaigns and came out on October 7 of that year. IIRC the campaign tab didn't come in until that update, so at the time of Over the Horizon, campaign and career were synonymous in the community.

20. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

The "Campaign" tab shipped sometime between 0.5.0 and 0.6.0 - but it wasn't functional until 0.7.0. The "Career" tab is a fairly recent development.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice