Changing Soundfiles with FMOD

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by NistingurA, Dec 11, 2019.

1. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Good evening

I am currently trying to change the Turbo BOV sound for the Sunburst, just to experiment around.
    I´ve already added a new Turbocharger that uses a different path for the turbo sound, tho nothing changed?

upload_2019-12-11_18-50-11.png

upload_2019-12-11_18-50-29.png

This is as far as I got, the car itself works and I can select the new Turbo in the game as a seperate part, but I now have no BOV at all :confused:

A good friend suggested to use FMOD Studio and gave me a link to some very slim documentation "here".

I tried making something and building a rather simple "Master" bank with the bov soundfile in it.
    upload_2019-12-11_18-52-41.png

upload_2019-12-11_18-53-2.png

But again, nothing.

So what I am asking is, if there even is any way to change sounds in the game and if there is, how you do that, since the documentation is very spartanic and honestly, not very helpful.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

I suggest taking a peek into the Satsuma 100 files. If you can figure how those work you should
    be able to put your sounds into the game :)

3. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

good to see that the mod is no longer available for download
    any other mods I could look into ?

4. R4NKING

R4NKING
    Expand Collapse

I tried the same thing, i can't getting it working aswell. :confused:

5. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

What a shame to see the mod is offline :/
    Anyway, I've been browsing it shortly and I don't think there is custom turbo sound in that mod. It's just that the way the
    custom engine sound is made that I find very elegant, not to say brilliant. :)
    About the turbo sound, idk, aren't there a few custom turbo sounds in the repo ?
    I think this is clearly a matter of finding the right path name for your sample. Let's say you should stay on the right path :p
    Code:
                "bovSoundFileName":"event:>Vehicle>Forced_Induction>Turbo_01>turbo_bov"
                "hissLoopEvent":"event:>Vehicle>Forced_Induction>Turbo_01>turbo_hiss"
                "whineLoopEvent":"event:>Vehicle>Forced_Induction>Turbo_01>turbo_spin"
    You need to find your way to this path : Vehicle>Forced_Induction>
    Whatever comes next you need to replace by your turbo sound name and perhaps name your sample just like the original.
    Something like Vehicle>Forced_Induction>MyTurboSound>turbo_bov. Probably anything after Vehicle>Forced_Induction>
    will do but you need to know where exactly to place your folders. If it's nowhere to find then by trial and error I guess.
    I might be wrong but this is the direction I would start looking into.

6. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

The problem I see is that the game doesn't allow modified sounds yet?
    I tried fiddling around with the event path so much yesterday I think I went through all possibilities.
    I'm just going to wait for more info on that topic or more detailed documentation

7. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

This problem has been bothering me too long for now so currently I'm doing just what I quoted ^ :)
    I'll get back to it later..

• Like Like x 1
  8. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Alright so here's a working workaround :
    This whole FMOD and other sound issues thing sometimes makes me go like *KRRAAARRGHH* :D
    So I put FMOD aside for a moment and focused on another approach. Learning from an outdated repo mod I figure that
    this method is not straightforward imo ( we should be able to easily fmod ) but it works. What you do in this case is actually
    replacing the default bov sound. Default sounds are meant to be activated if others don't work if I'm correct so there hardly
    a chance it disturbs one of the other sounds. Drawback is you can only use one at the time, unless you're going to code it in
    more deeply. I am using an example of a crash sound from 0.15 that serves as blow off sound in 0.18's Sunburst.

I added the zip so you can check out the files yourself. If you want to change the blow off sound just unpack the zip,
    replace turbo_bov.ogg with your own sound but, as you might quess, rename yours to turbo_bov.ogg. Naturally this
    has to be a ogg file. :)

edit : oh I only changed the stage1 turbo sound so you must select the S turbocharger instead of RS :)

Attached Files:

9. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Thats cool, I´ll go check it out!
    I appreciate your efforts alot man, thanks ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome :)
    In the meantime I discovered some interesting stuff about changing the bov sounds. And indeed, as I guessed
    before, with a little bit of core file changes we are able to add as many sounds as we want. On top of that
    I discovered another 'interesting' fact : If you unpack the zip and check out the car's engine jbeam file you
    will see that the turboBovSoundFile ( or bovSoundFileName or something ) is set to "turboBovSound".
    This baffled me for a while since I couldn't find anywhere in the core files where this option was made
    applicable. As usual, being of the persisting kind, I kept on searching till I found what I was looking for.
    That naming has its origin in a .cs file that defines audio profiles for the game. It's to be found in the
    game engine zip. I'm on another system now so from memory I'm possibly not describing it right but you
    need to go to the art folder and then find datablocks and then find audio profiles or something. That's
    the .cs file in question and you will find several audio SFX profiles stored in there. Now, the thing is
    that you can use all those profile names directly thru the car's engine jbeam file. Among them you will
    find TurboBovSound so that's how I found out. For instance, if you replace it by GlassShatter01 or
    PianoSmash02 or any profile in the file it will just work as well. Anyway I still discovered more but only
    worth to explain to who really wants to figure it out :) . So feel free to ask if you want to. Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  11. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Legend ;)

I made some progress on "variable bovs" adding a slot to a new Turbo with 3 test bovs

• Like Like x 1
  12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

Hey,

Using your own FMOD events is not possible atm. You can however simply reference regular files from the jbeam, there is no need to go the additional step via datablock files anymore.

13. R4NKING

R4NKING
    Expand Collapse

How did you did this, like NOCARGO did or did you found a other way?
    --- Post updated ---

Doesn't work for me, don't know why..

EDIT: Never mind, it was too quiet, edited the volume now it works :D

14. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

Here´s the "mod" that I made so far using the datablocks method if you will..

I am going to check a bit more with how FMOD works later on tho

Attached Files:

15. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

That's indeed one of the other things I found as well, Diamond, but if you devs want us to use this option
    then you musn't forget to change the audio description from the turbo bov sound in the turbocharger lua file
    from 'AudioDefaultLoop3D' to AudioDefault3D'. Otherwise our custom sounds will loop every time blow off is
    activated. I thought this was something overlooked in the first place. :D
    --- Post updated ---
    Nice work ! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice