Choosing the right graphics card...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Neo, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

Hi Folks,
    I'm really undecided which graphics card I should buy.
    I recently upgraded to an I7 7700k on a MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon with 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 powered by a 500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10. Now my really old and crappy graphics card (AMD R9 270X toxic active) needs to be replaced. I only use this pc for gaming in full HD right now, but I´m planning to buy a VR headset, so the new graphics card must have a reasonable VR performance. I first thought of the GTX 1080 ti but I thought this beast is a little bit too overpowered and mainly it draws too much power. Now I really don't know which card is the right one for me.

Greetings
    TenderFishes ;)

2. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, I personally would look at a better PSU over a GPU. 500W for what is a pretty high end system is seriously weak. My PC was considered mid end 3 years ago, and has more power than that.

As for a GPU,I'd say possibly a 1060, but it seems like a pointless bottleneck. Plus, while it can probably do it, it's probably not the best for VR. I don't know if it'll manage 90fps on all VR games. Which is what most people recommend.

3. blueshift

blueshift
    Expand Collapse

I'd almost definitely say a GTX 1070, but 500W seems low for a PC that powerful. I'd probably at least recommend a 650W; you might be able to get by with 500W but I personally prefer more headroom, so if you can you may want to consider a higher-wattage PSU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I already thought about it alot, but so much power does not need my system, more critical is the power efficiency of the psu and after some calculations this psu was the best choice a the time. But if I have to I will upgrade my psu as well, that should not be the problem :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

I think you are fine with 500w. Pure power is a good line.

Get a 1070 if you can afford it, an RX 580 if you cannot.

Will you sell that R9 270x?

6. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

No :D, I reuse this card in another build. Afterall it is still a reasonable gaming graphics card.

And what about the GTX1080? Is this not such a great value than the GTX1070?

7. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I'd have thought that you'd of considered the 1080 if you considered the TI. I just don't know alot about how much power those cards use, so I'm trying to think of something good that won't overload the system

8. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Pick one! In all honesty pitcairn has aged really well. Still a phenomenal GPU. The 7850, (cut down Pitcairn) had the best FPS/ watt when it was released.

9. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Even if it did age well, it's still old and underperforming when compared to the rest of their system. Aside from the PSU, everything in that is pretty much top of the line.
    There's little point in bottlenecking the system, when you're clearly prepared to upgrade it

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

That's the point. The old card it still enough for HD gaming with around 30-60 FPS, but as you can see from my build specs, that is that far from that what I need today. Especially the 2GB of VRam is really a huge downside. Modern games like Watch Dogs 2 or Player Unknowns Battlegrounds are nearly playable. BeamNG now runs with smooth 60 FPS on simple maps, but on graphic intensive maps like the dschungel it only outputs around 30 FPS with one car, not what I want. I tested my old system out with a oculus rift and that was a real nightmare. You need to get at least 90+ FPS to not get motion sickness( and unfortunately I am personally really sensitive to this). I need to get rid of the bottleneck. I want a card wich don´t bottleneck the system, but also isn't too overpowered so anything else is bottlenecking the graphics card like the CPU. I hope that clarifies my requirements a little bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

You'd do well to bottleneck that CPU with only 1 GPU. You'd probably have to get atleast 2 to bottleneck it. I personally would go with a 1080 or 1080ti. That'd set the computer up well for the next few years atleast

12. iTzPolipolo

iTzPolipolo
    Expand Collapse

it's the perfect for you

13. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

I understand. I especially if you try VR on an r9 270x, that makes tons of sense. Vega 56 or a 1070 is probably what is best for you.

14. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

15. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

16. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

looks really good, especially the price, but unfortunately it draws too much power, not even speaking of overclocking...

17. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

To be honest, If you have that much money that you can afford a 1080 TI, why don't you just upgrade your PSU?
    They are really cheap and I don't think that you would even notice the change in the power bills.
    500W is really low for a PC with specs this high... I'm running a 600W PSU with the same CPU, 16GB RAM DDR4 and a GTX 1050 TI.

18. Neo

Neo
    Expand Collapse

I just bought the new 500W psu. It would be a pity for the psu, but if I really need to, I do upgrade it.

19. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Two options: return it, and buy a bigger one, or keep it. A second PSU is really great for troubleshooting or a second build.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

Wait and see what the 1070ti is all about, it might be worth it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice