WIP Civetta Bolide GTR wing [need some help]

Discussion in 'Land' started by Leet34, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Im currently making a wing addon part for Civetta Bolide and i need some help with getting it into game. Ive searched for some tutorials but i didnt find any tutorial for making new parts for a allready made car. If you know how to do it or you know a tutorial somewhere, post it.

cb1.png

#1 Leet34, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Essentially, you will just need to create a jbeam for the wing and mount it to the rear panel. Here is a good tutorial:)

3. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

4. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, i appreciate your help

No man, this is topic about WIP creation and the fact that i need help is a secondary purpose.
    EDIT: Sorry, ive forgot to put in [WIP] prefix

5. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Debatable but OK, in that case your thread is still in the wrong section. The vehicles sub-forum is for unique vehicles, I.E. not a modified version of an official car. This belongs in the http://www.beamng.com/forums/25-Mods-and-Skins section..

Just sayin

6. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Ok i will ask a moderator to move it.
    EDIT: Ok maybe on this forum isnt any moderator

#6 Leet34, Apr 18, 2014
  7. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Download and poke around this.

8. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

No man i wanna create my first car part mod, i like more my own design. But if you mean that i can learn what values to use etc then thanks.

EDIT: Ok after a few hours of messing up in real time editor it turned out in a huge mess... So i will probably type everything i need to.

error.png

#8 Leet34, Apr 18, 2014
  9. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

That's the idea. You download and poke around that mod so you have a rough idea of what to do. Also, your wing isn't creating downforce since the control surface is just a horizontal plane.

10. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Ok so you mean that BeamNG can simulate an actual downforce by where the nodes and beams are located ? BTW it is flat, but it uses some segments to get more realistic damage, see wireframe.

wing.png

Ive choosed this "flat" style of wing because imo it fits old cars more than modern wings. But if it wont create any downforce (I knew it anyway), i will edit it to be aerodynamic.

11. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

There's nothing wrong with a flat wing, but if you rotate the centre part so it points downwards, you will get more downforce, provided you simulate the aerofoil correctly. I'm sure downforce can be simulated, it follows the same principles as what DrowsySam's helicopter blades use (if I recall he used actual air resistance principles as opposed to just thrusters, though I could be wrong)

12. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

The dragCoef value is what controls the amount of air resistance a triangle will provide. To use Zappymouse Wing as an example:

Capture.PNG

If you increase this value you increase the drag and vice versa. I do not know if the angle of the wing actually matters or not..

13. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for the help and after some time of work i have second protoype of the wing. It looks like it doesnt have any angle, but in fact it is rotated forwards by roughly 6 deegrees. I think thats plenty (I dont wanna rotate it by 10-20 deegrees, its not a F1)

wing2.png

EDIT: Bad news, ive got the model working in game, but the whole car mesh is rotated and for some unknown reasons the game freeze when i load the car

#13 Leet34, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  14. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Not really sure why I left dragcoef at 35, seems a bit mucho. Also pretty sure aero is calculated with regard to the collision triangles, so the characteristics of a flat/tilted wing are accurately simulated. Afaik, there's no correlation between dragcoef value and the design of the wing itself, but I could be wrong.

All that would be important if my wing made more than a negligible amount of downforce.

You haven't set location/rotation in your mesh yet. In Blender, you'd highlight the parts that aren't mapped properly, then press ctrl+a to set it.

As for your freezing issue, you probably have syntax errors in your jbeam. Open the game console by pressing the tilde (~) key to troubleshoot.

15. Leet34

Leet34
    Expand Collapse

Man i dont use blender, i use 3ds Max. Anyway, if you mean pivots, then those are at 0, 0, 0 like how they should be, if you mean something else then go more in detail, in 3ds Max it may be different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice