1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

'Clean Reinstall' on *every* new version # update?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B3_Burner, Dec 12, 2019.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Is it proactive & conscientious to do a clean reinstall on every new version update-- whether I think I'll have problems or not; just for the peace of mind that I'll be starting off fresh out of the gate with the new items added?

Or is it overkill and by and large a waste of time and makes more work for one's self-- unless there's a specific reason it needs to be done?

What's the general group consensus on that? Thanks.

2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I'd probably say it's not worth it, unless you actually see something wrong once you've updated the game. even then, I could clear the cache first, as that will fix most issues.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Okay cool! Thanks for setting the record straight on that, because it's not exactly something I was looking forward to. It's not like I have 200 mods installed, but still... that a lot of squeeze for the juice.

4. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

Personally not a bad idea, or if it at least clears the documents folder of the game.
    Having played the game so long I realized a cache clearing beforehand does make a difference, and since I had a modded postfx file, I made sure to delete that so the game makes a new one now that the graphics were updated, but not many people know their game might not work well.

When we got the ETK driver experience center, I was missing a lot of effects, including the spraying water, that needed the cache to be cleared to work. I think a lot of the reports on the discussion thread could be avoided if the game were to clear some settings beforehand. Remember it's still an Alpha, and even big games like red dead redemption 2 reset your graphic settings after an update

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Usually not. Unless:
    • Some modification was installed inside the installation folder (Pretty much no mod actually requires that. The UserFolder is there for this reason, so that you can leave your installation completely unmodified, while still being able to modify the game)
    • The update was not downloaded properly, and some files are corrupted
    Most of the time issues are caused by outdated mods. If problems persists after disabling the mods, it's possible you still have modification inside your UserFolder. Wiping it would help (that's one of the pros of the UserFolder system, as your custom modifications are separate from the actual install)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your reply. Sorry it took me a spell to get back to you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice