Computer building guide

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Mar 1, 2015.

1. JoJodude

JoJodude
    Expand Collapse

oh ok :/

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Updated: Changes to GPU section, added R9 390 to list of recommended cards.

3. SuperMike222

SuperMike222
    Expand Collapse

I changed some things that you had for 1500$ here is mine: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yBTYyc i dont need a HDD since I have a 5T external one, I changed the CPU to an I7 and the Ram to 16 gigs instead of 8. I also changed the motherboard because I prefer Asus :p

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

That's an ITX board. No multi GPU support, only 2 DIMM slots, fewer SATA ports and bad for cable management. You can also get much cheaper ASUS Z170 ATX boards.
    Also, don't get an i7 for gaming, waste of money. Most games are GPU bound anyway even with a 980Ti.

5. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Your 5TB external hard drive is likely to be a 5400 RPM drive, therefore, very slow. Even slower if running on USB 2.0. Go ahead and get a WD Blue 1TB. It's not very expensive and works extremely well.
    What do you plan to do with your PC? Just game? or will you be doing content creation as well? If you're just gaming, you don't need hyper threading and 8GB is really fine for it (although 16GB would be future-proof).

• Like Like x 1
  6. SuperMike222

SuperMike222
    Expand Collapse

Im going to Game, but I am currently learning HTML and CSS, so I will move on to content creation. My laptop that I am currently using has a 1T HDD that's 5200RPM and its perfectly fine for me. Ill change the MotherBoard but im gonna stick with an I7 because it has some other important features that and I5 doesnt have, my laptop has an I7, it was worth an extra 100$ because it has better cooling, better battery life, and better performance overall.
    --- Post updated ---
    I just updated it: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9tcHYJ. there is one error saying this "The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled." and I dont really know what it means :/, im using an external HDD, so will it effect that?

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Updated: Removed GTX 970 $750/1K builds. I can't really recommend the 970 over a 390 unless you're upgrading a PC with bad airflow or PSU.

8. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

The only thing the i7-6700k has that the i5-6600k doesn't is hyper threading (EDIT: and slightly better base and turbo clock speeds at stock. they'll overclock identically). That is it. No other differences when you overclock. No differences with cooling, battery life (it's a fricken desktop for crying out loud) and only performance improvement is due to the hyper threading. Also, web design doesn't need the hyper threading. I don't think it'll need the extra ram either.
    Excuse me being a bit annoyed. Other people are being annoying. It's not you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SuperMike222

SuperMike222
    Expand Collapse

im not just going to do HTML and CSS, im going to move on to Unreal Engine and stuff like that, I want this PC to last for about 6 years+ so an 4.0Ghertz I7 would make it obsolete a year or two after and I5 would be. The game that I am going to play that will prob need the Ram or GPU would be Star Wars Battlefront. BTW, can you tell me on what the error thing was?

10. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Web development does not require a good PC, you can do that on a C2D machine.
    Also, i5 vs i7 is very different in laptop and desktop.
    In laptops, i5 CPUs are hyperthreaded dual cores. i7 MQ/HQ are HT quad cores. So they actually have twice the physical cores. Cooling and battery life have nothing to do with the CPU btw.
    Desktop, only difference between i5 and i7 is HT, both are quad cores. HT does nothing for games, only useful if you do massive multitasking (which in 90% of cases is just not knowing how to properly use a PC) or video/3d work.

No effect.

11. SuperMike222

SuperMike222
    Expand Collapse

ok thx, im still new to the PC thing so... I need to learn xD, ive only known more than usual about PC's for almost a year, but I knew how to use a PC when I was 3 :p

12. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

With that workload, you'll make full use of the i7's extra threads and more RAM. However, both the i5 and i7 will be replaced by better CPUs at the same time (not obsolete, that's workload based assessment).

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

skills from html and css won't particularly transfer to ue4. Html and css are markup not programming or scripting. Of course doesn't make them useless skills to learn, just don't enter with one set of expectations and receive something else

14. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Hd5870. I own 2 and even after 6.5 years, it can be considered a mid range card. I was a freshman in college when they came out. But yeah the 390 pushes pixels for days.

15. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

The build guides are for building with new parts. Old components (especially used ones) are going to be less efficient, more likely to die, and they may not support new games and games to be released in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Gee, thanks for lesson on computers @Funky7Monkey, I had no idea!

17. SuperMike222

SuperMike222
    Expand Collapse

i going to a programming class and i am going to do WAY more different types of coding languages before I reach UE4, such as Javascript,C#,C++ and things like that.

18. blueshift

blueshift
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the guide. Very helpful guide for noobs like me :) I've built 2 computers, one last year, one this year. I didn't actually use any guides though.

I like Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte boards (I use a Gigabyte board!) but I happen to think ASRock boards are utter crap (in my opinion). The only time I would use one if I had a $250 budget for a PC and wasn't going to game on it. Even then I'd definitely prefer something much better even if it was more expensive. Keyword: opinion.

19. CrashTherapy

CrashTherapy
    Expand Collapse

So i just ordered my new pc components.. (holy shit it was expensive AF..) And i have a question.. I ordered this.. 600W power supply from CoolerMaster, ASUS B150 PRO GAMING Motherboard, Intel Core I-7 6700K, 8GB 2133 DDR4 RAM, ASUS GTX970 4GB GDDR5... And the question is.. will it be able to run BeamNG on full details with no lag?? I'm thinking of stable 60FPS on 1920x1080 resolution?? (2560x1080, i'd like to buy 21:9 monitor someday...) And sorry for my crappy english.. i s*ck at english..

20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Should run Beam fine, as long as you don't max out dynamic reflections.

Also. Why did you buy a 6700K with a non-Z board? You won't be able to overclock, might as well have bought the cheaper non-K 6700.
    Also, should've got a 390.
    --- Post updated ---
    Updated:
    Removed 4790K from list of recommended CPUs (6700K is no longer overpriced). Also removed 5820K (6700K is actually a better gaming CPU for less).
    Added big bold 'OC requires Z board' to 6600K/6700K in CPU list.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice