Configurable Transmission control Valve bodies

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by CaptainZoll, Jan 11, 2021.

1. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

A major downfall with current drag cars in the game is the lack of manualised automatic transmissions.
    of course, you could give them a PRND1234 layout, but this isn't really appropriate for cars where shifting from 1st to 2nd is crucial.
    I think a good way of getting around this, while adding an extra layer of customisation, is to have the control valve body as a selectable part under the transmission.
    that way, you could have a more short-shifting prone factory setup for larger engines or economy applications, and you could also have full manualising conversions, which overwrite the automaticmodes to PRN1234, without needing an entirely separate transmission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

The CJD Special Tunes mod has valve bodies like this, not sure if they work like you described though, I don't use them

3. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Time to port the T-Series automatic transmission into the Moonhawk

4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

And keep the amount of gears and turn it into a Fast and Furious car

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

They have manual valve body automatics in the crawlers and offroad racers iirc. A manual valve body is something I've wanted in BeamNG for a while now, just never thought to mention it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TrackpadUser

TrackpadUser
    Expand Collapse

With the way transmissions are made in jbeam currently, it might actually be doable to add a "valving" part for all automatic transmissions, that just tells the transmission what shift pattern to use.

There's a line called "automaticModes", which looks like these in the case of the hopper's 4A and race transmissions, respectively:
    "automaticModes":"PRND21",
    "automaticModes":"PRNM",

That line is just a general "vehicleController" setting (vehicleController is the lua controller that handles the standard driving input stuff), so you could put the previous lines in a separate part and it would very probably still work.

I'll try it out this evening.

Edit: For some more suggestions to the devs on that topic, you could probably make those parts "common" parts, have slots for "auto_trans_valving_3A", "auto_trans_valving_4A", etc, with an option for standard valving (PRNDL) or manual valving (PRNM) for each of those slots.

#6 TrackpadUser, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

I just tested it and it works.
    No need to do it yourself, here's the file:
    (The transmission is marked as the valvebody one)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ryo13silvia

Ryo13silvia
    Expand Collapse

The Celtia's 2-speed Auto, found in the burnout config, uses the PRNM setup allowing the player to reach wheelspeeds that essentially glitch out jbeam and stop the smoke altogether... just sayin'

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice