Confusing Internal Connections

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Core2Duo_E7400 2, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Core2Duo_E7400 2

Core2Duo_E7400 2
    Expand Collapse

I just bought a Fujitsu Siemens M450 to build a gaming pc out of (as I love the look of the case) and am currently having some potential trouble using the front connectors for the case.

The yellow connector is for the headphone/microphone port and the black one for the front USB 2.0 ports.

I have also included a image of a standard port to show what it needs connecting to.

Any help on this dilemma is greatly appreciated.
    --- Post updated ---
    It looks like I've found my own solution, the USB connector has the exact same interface as others but has a longer plug for reasons I don't quite understand and the front audio is supposed to have a different pin configuration to the USB.

Attached Files:

• IMG_20171108_1620425.jpg
    • 15101586219461051437024.jpg
    • IMG_20171108_1621581.jpg
  2. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Put the black connector on the white motherboard header. There should be something hanging off of the edge, but that is all I can figure out. The audio connector looks proprietary, you probably will need to remove the black cap on the cable and plug in the cables individually. That might be hard, a front panel 3.5 bay cover with a 3.5mm jack might work, although it might be kinda ugly. That is all I can say.

3. Core2Duo_E7400 2

Core2Duo_E7400 2
    Expand Collapse

It looks like I've found my own solution, the USB connector has the exact same interface as others but has a longer plug for reasons I don't quite understand and the front audio is supposed to have a different pin configuration to the USB.
    Thanks, I did look at the USB and you are correct that it is a longer plug for the same connections.

The audio is actually fine, I originally thought I may need to do some rewiring but it looks the right shape compared to my HP reference board (I was confusing the USB and audio inputs).

Attached Files:

• 1510165713003-1713961376.jpg
    #3 Core2Duo_E7400 2, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, the audio cable is standard. I thought the front panel connector was the audio. Whoops. I think the USB one is keyed so it cant be installed the wrong way, which is interesting. Glad you got it all sorted out. I have a pentium 3 system, the front panel headers are a nightmare, there are so many led indicators.

5. Core2Duo_E7400 2

Core2Duo_E7400 2
    Expand Collapse

I hope you don't mind me asking which Pentium 3 you have?

I have a board with a 500Mhz and it's simply too slow at 1600X1200.

Also thanks for the help :)

6. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Sure, I picked up a pentium 3 & motherboard for $5.00 at a thrift store. I want to say it is 450 mhz. I got it all built, but I can not for the life of me configure the hard drives in the BIOS. I can't book off of a USB, so I tried booting off of a CD, but the drive wouldn't be recognized the BIOS, and I couldn't configure it properly. I put it on hold for now, but I plan to run lubuntu on it. Snapchat-1629666808.jpg Snapchat-1073176155.jpg

7. Core2Duo_E7400 2

Core2Duo_E7400 2
    Expand Collapse

Sorry if I'm bumping here but I don't think you'll have much luck with Lubuntu, I've recently been playing with a Celeron 2.8 Ghz which despite being much newer crawls through any slightly demanding tasks.

As for your drives you may want to check the jumper settings.

If both the hard drive and optical drive are on the same cable you'll want the hard drive set to master and the optical drive set to slave.

If they're both on different settings you'll want to set them both to master.

also try installing android X86, My celeron will meanwhile keep finding the strangest problems.

P.S
    If you get your optical drive working try this
    https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/intro.html

Together at last LOL.

Attached Files:

• 1511049800474247607199.jpg
  8. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips, Ill try that over break.

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Drives can be configured for master (end of cable) or slave (middle of cable).
    For each cable, you can have one MASTER, one SLAVE, and the far-end is what plugs into the motherboard (or in the case of upgrades or REALLY old systems, a controller card).
    Even older systems had proprietary Mitsumi, Matashita, and SONY connectors (and more) on the SOUND CARD for bundled CD drives. I had a Matashita on my 486 Soundblaster 16 MPC-1 kit.

Drive can also be BOTH set to CSEL, which is short for CABLE SELECT.
    You need a CABLE SELECT cable to do that as on of the grounds is missing near the socket on the cable. You'll be able to tell there's a wire missing (it's a little hole in the ribbon cable).
    Cables are usually keyed, do not FORCE them or you'll bend pins on the drives or controller card port.
    Bios needs to be set to auto-detect drives. You can also select boot order here by drive type or model (usually!).
    Your DVD-drive needs to be set the same way.
    If you have the DVD/CD drive hooked to the same cable your hard drive might not run full speed, but will run ATA/33.
    ATA/66, ATA/100, ATA133 were all requiring 40-pin 80-wire cables, where DVD drives only ran on ATA/33 and took 40-wire 40-pin cables. The difference is visible in the ribbon cabling. Keep hard drives and DVD drives on separate cables.
    I don't miss messing with jumpers or ribbon cables one bit!!! This was dreaded in 90s computing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tips! I will try to get my computer up and running during my winter break. I can see why people said building a PC is easier now than it used to be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice