Copyright stuff

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Ezo, May 25, 2017.

1. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

When you ask for permission for a 3d model, for example, and passes a lot of time and the owner dont answer, its possible to continue the mod until the owner answer after, i dont know ,a month, year?
    How to proceed with this?

2. CreasingCurve

CreasingCurve
    Expand Collapse

Easy solution, don't use someones assets without their permission given first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tropical

tropical
    Expand Collapse

4. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

Even better, you can learn how to 3D model (it can be quite fun)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fast-Subaru71

Fast-Subaru71
    Expand Collapse

With no permission, you can't release the mod on the repository, as far as I know.

6. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Or, on the forums.

7. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

You actually can post a mod that uses someone else' content on the forums. There are many examples.

8. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

...but you have to get permission first...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

We saw what happened with the jaguar mod.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

Thats actually i wont make a 2-door version of the er34, because the owners didnt answer me, and why i asked
    --- Post updated ---
    And if the model is from, example: gamemodels.ru?
    leave credits?

11. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

That site already rips models from us, so no.

12. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

How do i have contact to turn 10 to ask permission?
    --- Post updated ---
    And for developers that closed their companys, like juiced 2 and thq that closed in 2010

13. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

You don't need any permission, you can just release whatever. The only time stuff is removed is because of a direct copyright claim from a company or model owner. That has only happened like twice ever with asseto corsa and something else.

14. Justy4WDTURBO

Justy4WDTURBO
    Expand Collapse

Not always. My Covet 4WD mod has code by SixSixSevenSeven that I forgot to ask permission for, but since it was a 5-minute hack job he didn't care for that much. (thanks again though, your code works great!)

That, or the fixed version of the Pessima's Active Differentials mod I did. Except that one was just a simple removal of one line.

15. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so example: i upload an ford fiesta (example) and the model was taken from fh3,with credits, it will only be removed if the turn 10 (or the original modder) asks for it?

16. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Yep.

17. Ezo

Ezo
    Expand Collapse

So the skyline will have 2 door version, since the pdm-team is unfindable in the internet, well i remove it if they want, and leave credits, of course.
    Thank you very much for all the help that the people here gave to me about this stuff!

18. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

what happened to all the licenced car mods? there used to be a lot of them but now almost none at all.

19. Justy4WDTURBO

Justy4WDTURBO
    Expand Collapse

Beam's forums have progressively become more shitposting and less OC, so I guess most modders quit.

20. Rolph

Rolph
    Expand Collapse

It is simple - back in the day only good way how to get mods was getting them on the forums. On the forums you could release the things mentioned before in this thread - models taken from other games unless author asks to take them down.
    Then came the Mods Repository which is the long name for "Mods" section on this site. There you can upload only things made by you or taken with permission. There are no licensed cars and brands, because that would mean having to get permission from the car manufacturer or the companies in skins. (At least that is how I understand the thing)That is a no go for most if not all cases, so...

Of course, people can still upload and download on the forums, but less and less people search for mods on the forums nowadays, because Repository is just so much better organised and simpler. And if modders want to reach wider audiences, they just have to invent fake brands or make two versions of the car - unbranded for Repository and an add-on mod on the forums that add real branding.

On the forums there is a big mess due to large amounts of unfinished/outdated/dead mods and many younger kids who revive old threads and ask for releases and give bad suggestions.

(I might be wrong somewhere, feel free to correct me in such case)

• Informative Informative x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice