Countersteer from weight transfer / drift mode?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Kitteh5, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

So, when I am drifting in the Grand Marshal, I notice something not very realistic. When the back end lets go, the wheel straightens like it is supposed to, but then it stays there. So, I seem to have to turn the wheel left, but in real drifting, see here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XmCC3kWStg, when the car lets go, this guy lets go of the wheel and it countersteers with the front end grip. That is what happens in a real car if you are drifting. Also, there should be a drift mode, in which I press Ctrl+something command, and it switches the transmission to manual shifting with clutch, and this countersteer is activated, and if I repress the command, it goes back to automatic and auto straighten the wheel. Just a suggestion...

2. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Force feedback.

3. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, we have said many times that we will add both force feedback and an optional steering assist driven by the aligning torque that will behave just like a real car.

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

"But in real drifting, see here"
    Where? All I see is a video game? How does that prove anything for a real car?

If you didn't notice, this is simulator. Why would you have a ctrl+something to enable a fake drifting mode that creates some effect that might or might not exist in real life? That's something that belongs in Need for Speed, not in a driving simulator. If this effect where the grip countersteers the car by itself on full-opposite-lock exists on a real car, then once force feedback gets implemented, it will take care of this effect as well, because that's what force feedback does. Force feedback will take the real forces of the steering rack and push them into your steeringwheel. If it doesn't happen in real life, it won't happen in the game either. Right now there is no force feedback in BeamNG, hence why it feels weird to you.

Also, if a car is an automatic, in the future, it will be made impossible to shift it manually. It's a simulator after all, and not Need for Speed or Burnout... If you want a manual gearbox for a particular car, it depends on the author and the real car wheither or not you'll be able to swap out the gearbox for a manual one.
    (For example, a car I'm working on only came with an automatic 4-speed from factory in real life, but since I know many drifters in Japan swap the gearbox on this car for a 5-speed manual from a Supra, I'm adding that option as well).

#4 Mythbuster, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  5. vicnitro

vicnitro
    Expand Collapse

This may be off topic but....what's that JDM monster I hear you speaking of?

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

But it is possible to shift a real car without damage while *not* using the car??? Try it some time, or don't, your choice, but you can do it.

You can even start and pull away in a manual without using the clutch by rocking it back and forth on the starter motor, that doesn't do as much good but most cars are built to sufficient strength to do it without any damage, its just not the best idea, I certainly wouldnt recommend it outside of emergency.

I have personally ridden passenger in a vehicle where the clutch cable snapped entirely (hence why they tend to not be purely cable driven anymore :p) and needed to get to a garage, could have towed it but the above got it there perfectly intact (excluding the mishap it had with the cable in the first place). Traffic lights were interesting to say the least :/

7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

He's talking about cars with automatic transmissions. Last time I checked they didn't come with H-shifters and clutch pedals.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Somehow I managed to misread his entire post to mean that you wouldnt be able to shift a manual without the clutch...

9. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Ok, fine, I am sorry for being a troll idiot. I am running on a keyboard, and I thought it could help me and other people running keyboard controls.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice