1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

CPU and GPU usage?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Cwazywazy, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

So, I don't get great FPS since my CPU is the bottleneck in my system (A8-3850 usually running at 4.2GHz and an overclocked 650ti boost) but when monitoring both my CPU and GPU usage I see that my GPU tops at around 80% which makes sense, but my CPU also tops out at around 80%, and that's with two cars. Why isn't it running at 100% if it's the bottleneck?

2. BreadForMen

BreadForMen
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG uses between 65-75% of my CPU and around 40% of my GPU.

3. nhutl1

nhutl1
    Expand Collapse

Which map are you using for comparisons, full screen or windowed mode, and finally what settings and screen resolution?

I'd like to compare with my OC 2gb GTX 650 and 3 - 3.2ghz i5 quad cpu...oh and also, do you use vsync?

...but then if i really wanted to compare I would have to ask all of your nvidia control panel settings...so I guess I don't really care THAT much. Just the above questions will do, pls and ty. :)

Cheers,

Nick :D

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Is this total CPU usage or just beamng?

5. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I use 2 programs, HWinfo64 and Rive Tuner Statistics Server to have all kinds of information shown in-game. In my case I can see all 4 cpu cores usage, total ram usage, vram usage, gpu usage, gpu temp, and FPS:

screenshot_00011.jpg

You can edit it to show whatever you want and where you want it.

This might help determine if you have a bottleneck as you can check all the data in real time.

6. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it's a BeamNG thing, if I put 16 cars on the map it only uses 80% of the CPU. 30 cars? 80% anyway, it's the way it is for some reason.

7. nhutl1

nhutl1
    Expand Collapse

Well if we are just talking about the usage by drive? there can easily be 5 - 10 - 15% cpu usage by the system audiodg process depending on your sound setup (Can't see the process unless you use admin rights to view all processes by all users in the task manager). There is probably other stuff that could be using that 20% in your system, so are all the cores actually maxed out while playing? Or does it stay around 80 - 90% ?

In saying that though, I can't get beam to reach 80 (almost), and all of the cores stay around 80 - 90.

It makes me think that there is actually a different bottleneck...perhaps some of the pipelines can't pump it all the calcs through fast enough when doing so many physics calculations at once. I don't know anything about how the inners of the game work, but if it heavily relies on storing and pulling data from ram for processing then maybe the ram speed could be the bottleneck?

But you know, there is always that possibility that the application itself is limited, although from what im reading here, i'm not getting the same max cpu usage for just beam (It's about 70 - 75, pretty close, but it never hits 80)

For me, it basically goes like this (usage is beamNG only):

1 car - 50% usage, good fps 60+
    2 cars - 60% usage, good fps 60+
    3 cars - 70 - 75% usage, fps significant drop below 60
    Increasing cars - 70 - 75% usage, fps takes the hit with each added car.

Overall cpu usage for the entire system was never 100%, only up to 80 - 90%

So who can enlighten me as to how this works and what is happening?

Cheers,

8. AirSKiller

AirSKiller
    Expand Collapse

No, it's really a BeamNG think, Blender (Render) and a tonne of other programs reach 100% CPU usage...

9. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed similar issues on my machine, i7-3770k 4.7Ghz & GTX 680 OC x2. Most of the time I get a solid 60+FPS on max settings without very much GPU or CPU usage, however on almost every map I will get lag spikes where fps will drop very low and gpu/cpu usage will remain unchanged. On some community maps with lots of vegetation I can't get above 45fps regardless of settings, for some reason BeamNG just wont use 100% of what I have. Personally I think it may be map related somehow, at least in my case some maps just will not run at a decent solid framerate. When I try to play the game in SLI the problem becomes even more evident, some maps I get double the performance 120+FPS, while in others the game only utilizes 50% of each GPU and FPS will remain unchanged 45fps or so.

I'm hoping its just some more optimization that needs to be done, really looking forward to the next updates supposed performance increases!

10. nhutl1

nhutl1
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly what i meant

Either the way beam does it's physics calculations requires a lot of pipeline bandwidth with the sheer number of calculations with calls back and forth, and so when this is multiplied with more cars the bandwidth becomes maxed before the processor can reach the maximum number of calculations it can do (which is quite a lot in modern processors....quite a lot...). (or some other bottleneck, this one is just an example)

Or the program itself has been limited for whatever reason, which doesn't give me any reason for why i cant get the same percentage of cpu usage that other people have mentioned here. This is why I'm trying to think of another hardware related bottleneck, and asking if anyone knew of what it could potentially be, regarding the way beamNG processes all the physics.

So yes AirSKiller, I was talking about BeamNG. If I thought that any programs could not utilise 100% of your available cpu, then I wouldn't see any problem with drive.

That's an interesting thought, because I've noticed with some particular community made maps that I get a frame rate that is just unplayable with the GPU using like 1 - 2% or less and the cpu on like 25% for the one car. It seems unlikely that at this sort of computation speed that any of the hardware could be bottlenecking, so there could be some sort of limiting inefficiency in the maps (that are extremely less pronounced in original content maps) that are extremely exaggerated in some community maps. However I think that a lot of people must be able to play these particular community maps, and with us all having the same software (beamNG), there are only hardware differences. So I'm not sure what is going on and I wonder if anyone else has ideas (like yourself). Thanks to OP for posing the question.

Cheers,

11. Xiopop

Xiopop
    Expand Collapse

This is odd as i have a 960m and a i74320HQ and I have 100% GPU usage and only 25% CPU usage

12. NoxiousFumes

NoxiousFumes
    Expand Collapse

I get around 20% cpu and increase 15%-20% each time a car is added, then top out at 100%
    Gpu is stuck at 70%+

13. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Nice bump. I've long since updated my hardware.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice