CPU bottlenecking the iGPU?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Nissan Skyline, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

I have two laptops, both sandy bridge, both Intel hd 3000. Both dual core quad thread i5s. I did a test with fans blowing on the laptops to prevent thermal throttling, and plugged them in for max performance. Used the same graphics settings, (Everything minimums, except textures and models, which were maxed) and same intel graphics control center settings. When I ran the same version of beamng (clean installed) on each computer, the one with the slower cpu (1.5, turbos up to 2.3-ish ghz) got around 20 fps on gridmap (the one with objects) and the D-15. The faster cpu (2.5, turbos up to 3.2 ghz) got around 50 fps. Both laptops have the same display resolution, same version of windows 10 pro (clean installs), and both have 8 gb of ddr-3 1600mhz. Neither thermal throttled (checked in intel extreme tuning utility) The only other difference I can think of is the the one with a faster cpu is using 2 4gb ram sticks, whilst the slower one uses 1 8 gb stick. Does it appear that my Cpu is bottlenecking my igpu?

2. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Your iGPU is on the processor. I assume that if the CPU is slower, the iGPU is slower.

3. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Please post your actual CPU models. It's surprising that you'd think to post in such detail but not post those key bits of information!

EDIT: I don't use the iGPU on anything, but I do use these two programs whenever I find them helpful. Maybe they'll provide some useful info for you in this case.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Two major factors I can think of.

The slower CPU may have been CPU bottlenecked in the game itself slowing the game down.
    The HD3000 is offered at multiple clock speeds in different model intel CPUs, it may be clocked higher in the more powerful laptop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

I probably should have. I was away from the computers, and that is what I remembered.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/52229/Intel-Core-i5-2520M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz
    http://ark.intel.com/products/56858/Intel-Core-i5-2467M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_30-GHz

6. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

jeez an i5-2520M thats a low powered bottleneck....I never expected to see one of them....I am just saying okay....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

They do have different max iGPU boost speeds, but only by 175 MHz. (1.3 GHz vs 1.15GHz), I doubt that would make that drastic of a difference.

8. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the ARK links.
    • You're using XTU - what does it say that the iGPU is doing? I strongly doubt that they're running at max boost... "throttling" is different from just "not boosting"
    • FWIW the TDP is significantly different, are these two different "classes" of notebook?
    • Have you been using the in-game performance monitoring graphs? Fire that up on both and take one or more screenshots.

9. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

10. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty confident in that case that it's simply a matter of the GPU refusing to boost. Use XTU / GPU-Z / CPU-Z / Afterburner / whatever to get a graph of that. I *think* that XTU will provide a graph of iGPU clock.

11. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

I will do that and upload the results soon, but I need to update one of the computers, and I want to do a clean install of Beamng on both for the most accurate results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice