1. Intel iGPU (6xx series) crashes
    Fixed drivers available!
    Instructions here

Dismiss Notice

WIP CrashHard Classic Straight Eight Engine Addon

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by NOCARGO, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:40 PM.

1. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Dear fellow BeamNG enthusiasts,

After being granted permission by @CrashHard to reuse and remodel his engine parts from the CrashHard Classic, I decided to make an engine addon for this beautiful car. When CrasHard's Classic came out I was immediately struck by the quality and the beauty of this vehicle. At the same time, I was just learning a 'little' bit more about vintage cars and their engines and it sparked a desire to make some dedicated extras for this car. Without permission of the author it wouldn't be really worth to elaborate too much on my ambitions, so early on, after it came out I put some work into it and got CrashHard's approval. I hope I won't let him down and many thanks to him again !!

1.png

By now I believe I have most of the challenges towards release out of the way so hence I pronounce. I wanted to be able to reuse the author's parts for a few reasons : clearly the quality is just impeccable, I'm a fairly good modeler by now and I can help myself doing some texturing but the authors quality is quite another level. So being able to reuse and remodel these parts is saving me alot of time and adds a lot of quality. This was also a part of my strategy to keep my work in the style of the CrashHard Classic and being able to fit everything in as good as possible.

This addon will consist somewhat of the following features :

- Two versions of an inline eight engine which is heavily inspired by the famous Packard Straight Eight engines. One being a stock version

4.png 5.png

and one being a tuned one.

2.png 3.png

I still need to decide which numbers I'll be running on the torque curves but my current setup is getting fairly close to my desires. I'm still thinking about possible stage 1 and stage 2 tuning but I haven't included turbo's or superchargers yet. Chances are I'll add them after my first release.

- A freewheel (please google if neccesary) option will be available with a matching lever (prop) on the steering column.

f1.png f2.png

- And since there sudden was a moving lever on the steering column I considered it a waste not to add a moving gear lever to the transmission. Three different gearboxes (same 3d mesh though) will be available. They run their own shift logic. This means that the 3-speed will be dog legged (please google if nessecary) and the 4 and 6-race will shift straight. By using a shifter you will also have to shift down left to get the 3-speed into first gear.

3g1.png 3g2.png 3g3.png
    4g1.png 4g2.png 4g3.png 4g4.png

I've spend quite some time on the engine sounds too and I'm pretty pleased with the stock engine sound. The tuned engine sound needs a little attention still. I'm using vanilla game sounds but extra lua for mixing them. Simulating straight eight sound without dedicated samples isn't the most 'obvious of obvious' :p

As I mentioned above, most of the challenges are surpassed, yet there is still some modeling and texturing to finish and the mod files need a lot of cleaning up too. The new parts also need to be jbeamed.

Estimated release will be hopefully before the end of the year.

6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png 10.png 11.png 12.png 13.png 14.png

That's it for now, thank you for reading and hope you like :)

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet

ThatCarGuyDownTheStreet
    Expand Collapse

Will we also see any power adders, like perhaps a roots supercharger?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

i like very very much. What version of the packard straight 8 are inspired by? The engine was born in 1924 as a 288cui or a 257cui following the poorly recieved "straight 6", recieved in 1932 the signature separate aluminium crank case and block design crank case, and head design upgrade in 1935, but afterwards there was still a distinction between the "standard eight" and the "super eight". the "eight" iterations would survive until 1954 (!).

What are the displacement and power figures? the first one is not affected by years, but rather by war: the pre war "standard eight" was 320 cui and the "super eight" (after '35 with new crank case for both blocks, although the old block was still in production) was 388 cui and power went from the 125 hp of the "standard eight" to the biggest pile of horse maneur packard ever put out after the "Constellation": 160 hp for the 388 cui. Realistically, still considering how they rated power at the time, it put out no more that 150, still smooth, silky and torquey, hp.

After the war, but technically introduced in 1940 (just before the "clipper look"), the engines beging being a cluster- you know what-. They introduced a 9 main bearing variant of the block for the 365 cui, they stroked out the 288 to a 327, and gave the 288 130hp (note that the 288/327 are still the old 5 main bearing engines). the 356 was discontinued in 51, bsically after they abbandoned "dutch" Darrin's "pregnant elefant" styling, and the 365 cui was reduced to a 327, but still with 9 bearings. Meanwhile the 5 bearing engines were given hydraulic cam phasers.

after this, for '53, the engines have now a newer rochester carb gìving bothh the 8s 150hp (confused yet, there's more!). in 1954 the 288 was upped to 150 hp, thanks to higher compression (i immagine to the delight of the 53 customers) and the 327 5 bearing arived to 185hp and the 359 (stroked 327) 9 bearing hovered around the 200-210 hp. confused? why?. marketing people at packsrds after the heart attack of '53 were calm this year...

In 1955 They introduced the excelent but short lived packard V8, but that's another story

OK after boring you a fair bit i add that i know that it is only inspired by Packard's straight 8 but i put this stuff here for reference, since the engine looks a lot like a mix between a '32 block and a '40 head.

Great job for the gearboxes , dog 1st gears were common back then, and would survive until the 70s, for some reason. if you want to put in auto boxes i explain the packard "Ultramatic Drive" and it's iterations work here: https://www.beamng.com/threads/alpha-testing-gavril-series-8-300-400-500.70841/page-3 .

Anther Packard hot-rod straight 8, that i had the luck to see recently, is Ross Miller's one, truely a remarcable one, with a 327cui and a "Ultramatic drive" gear-start tranny.

Again great job man and i'm happy to even see this here.

Have some immages: 1st) original block-crank design, 924 2nd) separate block-aluminium crank design, and updated head, 1935 3rd) 327 9 main bearing version, 1951

Attached Files:

• 24-packard-143-dv-18-eh-e01-800.jpg
    • packard-002.jpg
    • packard-IMG_0398.jpg
    #3 loba04, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:04 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 12:09 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

It's in the o.p. to say again maybe after first release I will add a supercharger (which was rl common) and or a turbo.
    I know those videos pretty well :) Darn shame we can't have sounds like that in BeamNG for now :/

H O O L Y M O O L Y do you know about Packards, sir !

You got it, I just mixed every bit of features that I liked from different blocks. I liked the fact that the head sits square straight on the the block and I like the valve covers beneath the manifolds. I also like the in and outlet combo and the way the distributor sits on the side of the block. It's a different set of features put together and you know better than I which belongs to which block :)

I went for 5.4L and aimed the stock engine at around 165hp, I think this is closest related to the Super Eight ? Not sure though :p

'Sadly enough' I still have other mod projects too so very maybe in an open future cause
    if I start something it always 'gets a bit out of hand' :D

Thank you and thanks for the pics, they are surely welcome in this thread. People need to know about these beasts :D The stock engines are SO silent and powerful and people will freak out if they learn about the 'coin' thing they do with them, I bet you know what I'm talking about :) I know the first two pictures cause I took my references from such. Here are the reference pics I used :

packard_straight_eight.jpg packard_straight_eight_2.jpg packard_straight_eight_3.jpg packard_straight_eight_4.jpg packard_straight_eight_5.jpg packard_straight_eight_6.jpeg packard_straight_eight_7.jpg packard_straight_eight_8.jpg packard_straight_eight_9.jpg packard_straight_eight_10.jpg packard_straight_eight_11.jpg packard_straight_eight_12.jpg packard_straight_eight_13.png packard_straight_eight_14.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

For who doesen't know what the hell we are talking about go to 11:58 -

The most incredible thing is that i still have firends :) in all seriousnes i had the great honor of talking to King Ole (RIP, he was truely the most knowledgable on packards), Jack Miller, in Ypsilanty at his hudson dealer, and Ross Miller, the guy who cuts up rusty packsrds and restores them. Look at that Patrician!!!

i know exactely how you feel. even if i am a complete halfwit in modding i alfa/beta tested some mods and things like that happen... it's not a work but a greatly (mostly) rewarding hobby.

Attached Files:

• 611385.jpg
    #5 loba04, Oct 16, 2020 at 12:44 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 12:50 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome ! I happen to have a quite weird connection to an extremely profound Packard too, but due to discretion matters I cannot elaborate on that one publicly :/

Anyway, I quickly made a 'bad driving' vid for you to check out the stock sound, torque curve and some screens.. It seems to put out 150hp at this time, I didn't know that cause I just sort of finished the stock exhaust. Without exhaust it produces 162hp. There clearly still is work on that torque curve :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

that engine looks great on the classic's chassis, the detail is incredible, and the workarounds the structure of the ar are elegant, if (age correctly) semplistic. I love the detail of the distributor and the wireing. The sound sounds very nosy for being a downdraft carburetted inline engine, but many people havent even ever hers an I8 running... The sound is nevertheless very accurate, it revvs as it should, with the right "cosistance" nd roundness, and taking that it's a mix between the flathead post 35 but with the pre 35 crank-block bottom-end the rev speed is roughtly accurate. The power is a bit off: in those days dynos didnt exist, and the hp were rated using the CUNA protocols, with the motor out of the car, with no accessories, not even the water pump. They used the the advenced tool called "bucket of water. CUNA nd SAE (another similar method) were still relevant respectively t'ill the early 60s and mid 70s, then we had DIN, that measure are realistic engine power, but at the crank, then, in the 80 we started having real dynos. Anyways this meand that Packard said 160hp, but that truely was 150hp CUNA, so considering various losses and drivetrain losses i confidetly say that to the wheels it put down 135-140 hp. Also, since the mosterous torque Many Packard dealers raccomended customers to start in 3rd... poor (primitive) synchromesh

• Like Like x 1
  8. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'm just keeping it to performance limits, else I would add the whole deal which clearly is unbearable :D

The wires are actually leaning upon the cyl 1 and cyl 8 wire, I'm imagining the wires are kinda stiff :)

I have quite a good hearing yes :p but I do need to deal with FMOD at the time.

Your feedback is mostly appreciated, you seem very talented at the subject !

• Like Like x 1
  9. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

Beamng is beyond being a pretty game, even though it has become rather decent lately.

In those years cables were burlap or "bachelite": fire hazzard is the name of the game. The Fiat 527 Ardita "Tendelziamente aereodinamica" was considered advanced because it had leather wireing. Have a picute of this rather pretty but forgotten luxury fiat of the 30s.

Attached Files:

• 1934-fiat-527-ardita-2500-2.jpg
    #9 loba04, Oct 16, 2020 at 2:37 AM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

I should've been in bed for a long time by now but you keep amazing me :D

I didn't realize this at all, amazing what one can learn on certain days !
    I do know that bachelite is actually an old school insulator which would also be present on the spark plugs of the period. It was used until very recently (and maybe still today) in electrical power stations as well.
    --- Post updated ---
    and yes this is clearly noticeable on many an electric wire :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Today I did some jbeaming, time to take a break now :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

I know a little about jbeam but not enough to say anything interesting. The updraft maniffold is accurate, in fact many luxury cars had this: the fuel that arrived from the tank is cold during winter months, so some rudimentary heat shields were put, and the intake went near the exhaust to heat it a little bit. Even dusenberg used this in their dohc inline 8. at summer there was a mechanism that opened a port on it. this system didn't prevent vapour locking, and it never really caught one.

13. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Currently I will be using CrashHard's downdraft carburetor but nevertheless :p

Wow, another great tidbit I'm learning from you :)

I do know that updraft carbs were often used because downdraft's didn't have proper sealing yet at the time. Then when the car was not in use the fuel would keep flowing thru the carb eventually ending up in the cylinders and causing fire on next startup or even hydro-locking after longer periods.

14. loba04

loba04
    Expand Collapse

I used a poor chise of words. i meant that the exhaust maniffold curves up, to do the gas heating trick i talked about
    -
    you are entirely right. downdraft carbs also aid in cold starts, that's why they were used until the 70s, mostly by british and japanese car makers

15. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Oh so you meant updraft manifold instead of updraft carb ? I get it :)

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice