Create a basic track in Blender.

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by DoullPepper, Apr 30, 2016.

1. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Hello all !

Some people often tell me for advices and help on Blender. It seems to me quite difficult to explain how to use Blender with few words and explanations.
    So I thought usefull to do a video!

There is no sound in the video but I take the time and you can see what keys and fonctions I use to do it.

On the video I make a basic track but you can easily do more complex things with the same method.

I'm open to answer at your question about this video and receive critics :)

The only point where I have omission is how work exactly the beam template between details and mesh name extension, what is the link between them to respect. (detail30,detail300,oval_a2000)

#1 DoullPepper, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Jesus Christ.....how did I miss this thread??? I am losing my mind!

Well since I'm at it can you explain a bit more on the collision procedure for this? I am having difficulty finding any decent and specific
    instructions for Blender to BeamNG collision meshes aside from a two year old vid.

I noticed you did 'append from' to get the collision for this track? It also illustrates the Bezier concept very well:cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AR162B

AR162B
    Expand Collapse

This is great indeed! It great for recreating a real life road (the tremola pass road in this case) using google maps. It's bit more difficult as the height influences the road camber. And in this case the height differences and road camber are a wild guess, but it's fun anyway. I skipped the materials part, it was just a try out.

Any idea if it's possible to adjust the width of a road with the Bezier curves? Adjusting it when it's a mesh isn't that smooth. And has to be done every time the curve is adjusted.

tremola_screen01.jpg tremola_screen02.jpg tremola_screenshot_00057.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Awesome, thanks for making this!

5. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Bezier control points have a width, this can be changed with the shrink/fatten tool.
    blender_bezier_fatten.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. DoullPepper

DoullPepper
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

collision.jpg

For collision there are two things : - first you can only have the render mesh if it's a full solid. Just check in beam editor visible mesh (avalable for buildings, walls ...)
    - secondly, if you want to create an object with solid and un-solid parts like a trees (leaves unsolid- trunk solid) you must use a collision mesh. Or if you want to put it in the forest editor.

And now try to respect this things : - If a buildings or other creations are complex, it's still better to create a less complex collision mesh of the render mesh for optimisation.(look collision mesh in green on the screen);
    - Create a color material unique for collision mesh to see it in the Beam editor.
    - respect the place (in the start template) and name "Colmesh-1" for the collision mesh and "your object"_a"a number" ( example : trees01_a800 )for the render object.
    * You can also have multiple renders in function of the visible distance , example : trees01_a800 (first render), trees01_a400 (second render), trees01_a80 (third render) ,
    * And more the number is big more the render disappear near.
    * Beam editor create the I.OD last render that you can set in "mesh" section of the Beam editor

Also I don't know the link between "detail350"/"detail900" in the base template and the number quote préviously... :s
    --- Post updated ---
    Thank's for this precision, it answer to @AR162B . :)

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice