Solved Creating Wheel/Tire Mod

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by essej818, Jan 27, 2019.

1. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

Ive been interested in creating wheel / tire mods for beamng. I have quite a few 3d models that i have created, but i cant find any clear step by step directions on how to actually create the mod. As of right now i have the 3d models, I just don't know how to do the rest. If anyone has a video or an article that can show me how, that would be great.

2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

If you go to the following directory: (inside steam directory, not MyDocuments)
    BeamNG->Content->vehicles->common.zip

You will be able to see the files for many of the stock wheels there (inside a wheels folder).

So in short, you would need to copy the jbeam text for a wheel of the same size as yours into a new jbeam file (in the correct folders). This jbeam file should go somewhere along the lines of
    MyDocuments->BeamNG->mods->unpacked->[Your Mod Name]->vehicles->[Your Mod Name]->[File goes here]

Then export your wheel as a collada (dae) into the same folder as the jbeam.

After that, open the jbeam file and swap the name of the 3d model for the name of the mesh object inside the collada file.

Your parts should be selectable if all has worked.
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is an example of what the jbeam should look something like:
    upload_2019-1-27_16-0-24.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

Okay so i did what you said so far, and i can select my wheel and tire in the menu, however They are invisible. Any ideas? thanks
    20190127133733_1.jpg Capture.jpg

4. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

any console errors?

(you can open up the console with "~" key

5. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

I did have an error. I used the wrong version of colada. Now that i fixed that, the model shows up, but its about 5 feet under the vehicle.

6. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

You need to make sure that your wheel is centred at the origin in the 3d model.

7. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

I just double checked, and the 3d model is definetly centered.
    20190127141521_1.jpg

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Have you applied the scale and rotation?

In Blender that is Ctrl+a (I think, try shift+a if it isn't)

9. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

Capture.jpg yeah. im thinking it could be something to do with the positioning in the jbeam file. I left those numbers default. when i change any of the numbers besides z (scale) none of the vehicles will load

10. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I assume the wheel jbeam is generating where it should be and not where the mesh is?

Make sure that the 3d coursor is at 0,0,0 before you apply the location, roation & scale.

11. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

the front jbeam is generating where it should. The rear isnt. Im really not sure whats happening. when i drive around as of now, the wheels rotate around the vehicle like the vehicle is the sun and the wheels are planets. im sure there is something small that is the issue so ill upload my jbeam files just in case i messed something up. thanks

Attached Files:

12. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

jbeam looks fine to me, what program are you using for modelling?
    It clearly looks like the mesh is missplaced/origin is in the wrong place or you didn't apply the location, rotation & scale

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

Were getting close here! so the front wheel and tire show up and work great. the rear wheel doesnt show up at all 20190127171138_1.jpg

Attached Files:

• 20190127171138_1.jpg
  14. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Copy the code from the front ones and change the location and the names to the rear ones.

15. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help. i think im just going to start over at this point. Im getting a ton of problems and none of them show up in the console.

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

It could also be a typo somewhere, a missing bracket or quotation mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

I started over and i am getting much better results. Now everything shows up and drives nicely. My next and hopefully last issue is the texture. I baked the texture and converted it into a dds, but it looks weird in game

20190127183806_1.jpg

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

To me it looks like your wheels are very reflective. In BeamNG you would typically have a materials.cs file to go along with your model. This defines which textures map onto which materials. So you might want to check that all your settings in your materials file are correct and present. Each parameter in your material can be set to either a texture or a colour, so if you don't have or want to use a texture for a certain parameter, you could do that instead. There are also some "null" textures that can be found under "vehicles/common/null.dds" which can be useful.

However, if I were to be totally honest, I am legendarily awful with this bit of modding for BeamNG, I can never get the materials to work. So don't get too frustrated if it takes a bit of work to get it sorted. Hopefully someone else can also give a better answer :p

Could also be something to do with UV maps too?

• Like Like x 1
  19. essej818

essej818
    Expand Collapse

ive been messing around with the texture for hours but it stays the same after any change i make. I did notice something strange, if i zoom in (Pictured) on the wheel, i see tiny wheels that are not this wheel at all. I dont know why that texture is being placed on my wheels. Even if i remove the materials file and all the dds files expecting the orange no texture, it still looks like the picture. 20190127203542_1.jpg
    --- Post updated ---
    I finally figured it out! various errors like brackets were preventing the game from accessing the materials file. And a lot of tweaking. I have to fix the model slightly but i like the way it came out. Thanks everyone who helped

20190127213709_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice