1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Current file location for height map images and texture maps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Ouerbacker, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG 2015-12-22 15-02-09-84.jpg
    The title sums up my question. I'm curious as to what the current file location for height map images and texture maps is. I've tried the old location, which was documents/beamng.drive/mods/levels/levelname, and had little luck, so I suspect that the file location for these things has changed.

I am able to import the heightmap from documents/beamng.drive, but importing the texture maps form this location causes the game to crash.

This is a very simple thing. I'm about 99% sure that someone knows the proper location

2. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I've had no issues dumping heightmaps and associated textures directly into the contents
    folder in the main steamapps directory. They appear to load from there regardless whether
    doing maps from documents or steamapps. I've just gotten used to re-naming the materials
    files when the time comes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

Note: While I was writing this, Aboroath posted his solution. I hadn't discovered that (as I found below quickly enough: the same happens when saving prefabs), so I don't actually know which method is better. Anyway, here's my post:

This system has fallen prey to the same problems that plague the rest of the editor: taking absolute file paths and applying them relatively. This means that you'll need two copies of your layer files: one that you will select (which will determine the path for searching) and one that will be imported (from the location that the editor will then search in). Assuming you have one set of files in C:\PATH, you'll need a copy in C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\BeamNG.drive\PATH. For example, if your texture maps are in C:\Users\Ouerbacker\Documents\BeamNG.drive (next to your terrain file), you'll need a copy of them in C:\Users\Ouerbacker\Documents\BeamNG.drive\Users\Ouerbacker\Documents\BeamNG.drive (where the editor thinks it has to look).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ouerbacker

Ouerbacker
    Expand Collapse

That directory works! Thanks.

Now, I feel a little dumb.:p

I've noticed that the game has been doing the roundabout thing on the file paths.

Here's how Aboroath's location loads, though. It seems to not be doing this.

BeamNG 2015-12-22 16-39-53-02.jpg

Ignore the extra letter in "common." That was fraps.

#4 Ouerbacker, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hope that works for your workflow Ouerbacker. This location was nothing more than my
    scorched earth attempts a year ago at finding where to get a heightmap to be seen:p.
    Mind you I have no idea how this will work further into a different workflow and is
    merely suggested.

I'm still not of the mind to make maps from the documents folder and have just learned
    my own way to get an end result that works.

6. crazy867

crazy867
    Expand Collapse

Still having a bit of trouble when importing heightmaps. I have copies of my heightmap in both c:\users\username\documents\Beamng.drive\mods and c:\programfiles(x86)\steam\steamapps\common\beamng.drive\content\levels. I also have a third copy in c:\users\username\onedrive\documents\beamng.drive. I also have my texture map from L3DT in all three locations as well. I have noticed that when I try to import that the channels box remains empty and it will not allow me to add anything to it regarding .jpg or .png.

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out. Thank you.

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

For those wondering, you need a terrain file in 16bit, like the kind you get off Terrain Party, or from L3DT. Try out the L3DT trial and see if using on of it's files works to fix your issue. I almost choked my computer until I tried it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice