Custom skin for the new bus now working.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by TheBlackWoodpecker, Apr 4, 2018.

1. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

Made my first skin for the new bus; I followed tutorials from YT and wiki but the skin is not showing in the paint design selector.
    I did this by creating a project folder, zipping it and putting to mods. The paths should be 100% correct.(maybe lol)

But here i think is the problem: I reused materials file from the bus files, and chose "safari" part as a base because it had that separate "citybus_dirt" .dds, which i wanted. I thought i would get that dirt over my skin if it worked, but it never worked. So i just deleted the dirt path from the .cs but still the skin doesnt show up. I have not tried to put the dirt into my project folder.

What all things could possibly be done wrong in this? Did the dirt uv thing mess it up? Did the update change skin system?

2. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

Update: bus disappears when i enable the skin
    but i get it back when i disable the skin.

3. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

Fixed jbeam and materials and now bus does not disappear anymore! But the actual skin can not be seen on the bus when i choose it. Its just white.
    I guess nobody actually cares about this :/

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

If bus disappears, it's possible you have a typo or a wrongly formatted JBEAM file.
    The game console would give you more details, just open it (see Controls menu for the button, depends on your keyboard)

Post your files here please.

5. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

Here is the skin :)
    Just making this clear: I changed zip name to "Citybus_skintest" to be more understandable, but you will see a word "pikakoe" in most paths, that is the original name of the project and the name of the skin. "Pikakoe" is Finnish and means "quick experiment" :)

There is nothing weird in the log

Attached Files:

#5 TheBlackWoodpecker, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

Torille

The jbeam seems fine (?) but the materials.cs has a small error. Where you have "citybus.pikakoe" it should read "citybus.skin.pikakoe", in both of the places. Lines 2 and 4. Feel free to ask me in finnish if it's still broken.

7. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! Kiitos! I changed the lines you mentioned, but the bus is staying white. Here is the new version of the file.

Also, hmmm... As you can see the bus is still white.
    BUS.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

That's, uh, new to me. I'm on mobile so I can't open the image (dds) right now, but I can tell you any of those log errors shouldn't come from this skin.

I can test the file tomorrow, so I assume someone else will get it fixed sooner.

9. Blijo

Blijo
    Expand Collapse

you map the skin to the Overlaymap, not to a diffuse map.
    I think that this should work

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! Tested it, the bus is still white. Clearing cache did not help.

I was just gonna write that it might be a bug with the bus itself, as it is a new vehicle. Idk.

11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

No, other skins work fine as you can see from the community screenshots.

Also that spamming about the particles is not normal.
    Please fix that first. Disable all your mods and check again. If persists, also clear cache.
    If still happens, clean reinstall: https://wiki.beamng.com/BeamNG_FAQ#How_do_I_perform_a_clean_reinstall.3F

12. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

I tested some skins for covet and miramar, and they work, but when ever i try to modify the files, they wont work. Could the problem be in the .dds files itself?
    edit: I mean that the skins i have created in paint.net are not compatible because i have wrong settings in them (i dont know how to use paint.net so its possible that i have not checked some details in settings that i dont know about)

#12 TheBlackWoodpecker, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  13. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

I know this thread is getting old but here is an update.
    I can use bus skins that i downloaded and i can modify them(changing the dds) and they work, but I can't make my own skins, they just wont work...

EDIT: I don't think reinstalling would help as i tested my mod on another computer and results are the same.

#13 TheBlackWoodpecker, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The problem is not coming from the game, but your materials file, which contains errors.
    Here's it fixed:

(This is based on the one in post #9, which fixed the fact you did not use 'overlayMap' for the skin texture)

Your mistakes:

1. No "" in the material name (required)

2. Two 'overlayMap[2]' lines conflicting. Remove the second one:

Fixed materials.cs file looks like:

15. TheBlackWoodpecker

TheBlackWoodpecker
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much Nadeox1!
    I got the skin working and looking at the errors you found, I don't think I could have fixed that myself.
    Now i just have to get my other skin/skins to work :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice