"""Cylinder Deactivation"""

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by SebastianJDM, Oct 8, 2018.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

GM attempted to get cylinder deactivation to work back in 1981 with their L62 engine, which they dubbed "Cadillac V8-6-4" and it was an absolute nightmare for customers who bought them. Cars with that system would regularly get stuck on 1 of the modes, or maybe even just 2 or 3 cylinders. It proved to be wildly unreliable, so when GM brought back cylinder deactivation with the new generation Tahoe/Sub/Escalade/GMC, they did so rather quietly and just lumping the deactivation system into the new fuel saving ECO name. Needless to say, GM (and other manufacturers) have made strides in R&D and now have a somewhat reliable system in place. Theres nothing worse than having a 5000lb vehicle running on 2 cylinders lol

2. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

IIRC, even Corvettes now come with variable cylinders, at least the base model ones.

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I know it is way over my head, but maybe it can be something you eventually figure out, it might be too much today, but learning pieces here and there, maybe some day it is possible to tackle.

4. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

If you select "ECO" with the drive mode selector (can choose between eco, comfort, sport, track, and weather modes in the C7) the engine will kick down to 4 cylinders with light to medium throttle input, but if you floor it, it will go back to 8 cyl. We ahd one for a while, a 2015 C7 Stingray Z51 Convertible (auto blechhhhh)
    --- Post updated ---
    exhaust note barely changes too, besides being more "pulsey" and much quieter but still sounds like a V8 DI engine which I thought was funny, but it IS still firing the cylinders in a V formation, thus it wont sound like an inline 4 for example.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. lioneljohndeere

lioneljohndeere
    Expand Collapse

cool

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

It is a very interesting feature that actually makes the car feel more peppy when you stomp on the accelerator due to the car feeling sluggish after driving on the highway for a while, this is my families car that we take on long roadtrips yes I have kept everything inconspicuous I would love this in beamng as it would make long roadtrips more interesting and fun
    Photoon26-11-18at1053am.jpg

7. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

i love mazda sm and i love what they're doing with the skyactiv technology.

8. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

Well when buying it we test drove a vw tiguan trendline fwd 1.4L turbo it was fun to make the tires squeal and a notification came up saying 2 clylinders activated but in the mazda it is much better with awd and a 2.5 litre engine . and no notification except for engine noise to tell u about the cylinder deactivation

OT:The idea is something that would be great for an economical car that is for running about the city

9. ItsTheLittleAcura!

ItsTheLittleAcura!
    Expand Collapse

I was just thinking about developing a cylinder-deactivation system for the LeGran V8 mod that mimicked the L62 (V8-6-4).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice