1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Damaged steering and fighting FFB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kruleworld, Oct 10, 2015.

1. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

i've noticed when steering gets damaged i need to turn the wheel to the offset center (nice touch), but then i have to fight FFB to get the 'new' center. Would it be possible to tweak FFB to also turn the wheel to the 'new' center? this is what Project Cars does when the steering/suspension gets damaged, it's off-center and you need to turn to go straight, but FFB matches it. would the wheels will still be trying to go straight, regardless of the altered suspension or bent steering arm?

2. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

The direction that the steering wheel wants to go is a product of the tires aligning torque and new suspension geometry after a collision, whereas the "new" center is just the direction you want to go, probably in relation to whatever undeformed bodywork still surrounds your seat ;) Things get a lot more complicated with a fully deformable soft body car.

In real life it's quite common after some collision for the wheels to be pulling left or right to try and find a new force equilibrium in the steering. If the car is really messed up, that equilibrium point might not exist, and the steering wheel could keep pulling until the wheel is at lock and the car is in the ditch.

There are no effects added to our ffb system at all at present. It purely takes the position of the beam that steers the wheels, and puts that into a high frequency closed loop with the steering wheel controller position. Any "center point" felt in the steering is a dynamic end result that the ffb or physics system has no idea about, it just "is" in the nb environment. I would be hesitant to move away from a pure ffb system and override things because a) We are striving for a completely realistic experience, and b) We feel that when we get all the properties of the car right, everything will feel right, without any artificial help needed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice