1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Decal road fade-out distance NOT working/NOT writing to file

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by bob.blunderton, Feb 4, 2019.

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Example here is the grey roadway, it's eventually going to be a runway / landing strip. Need to be able to see this from far away.

The darker winding roadway (due to be removed soon), is from a much older version of the game, and that one takes just fine (and is set for fade-out distance of 1000 500), where-as the future runway is set to 1200 500, even when it's set to 6000 6000 that does not work. It still fades out at the default distance (Whatever that may be), in other words, you won't see the runway until you are on it. This is a problem!

Anyone else getting this issue? This is recent, as-in 0.13.x or newer has this bug. Not sure about 0.13 but know 0.14 and 0.15 have developed it somewhere along the way.

Old decal roads that have been in the map a while don't do it, it's almost like this isn't taking the values or something. Give me a shout if there's any tricks. Will try duplicating an older road and see what it does.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I've noticed this as well, it's been one of those, "I'll deal with THIS later" things. Among many.

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well honestly it would've been just fine if it wasn't a runway, as how often do you need to see the roadway from really far away - but in this case - obviously, seeing it a mile or two away, would be really helpful to any would-be (or is that soon-to-NOT-be) pilots out there.
    Have a sneaky suspicion it's not writing the values correctly to the json file but haven't confirmed.

BINGO!
    It's not writing the:
    Code:
     "distanceFade":[5000,5000], 
    line into the main items level json file inside the main\missiongroup\ folder. That's why it's not taking.
    To clarify, it's keeping the old ones I made in November (it worked then), but not now, enter anything you want into fade-out distances, it does not enter this into the JSON file or accept the changes within the editor.
    COPY-PASTING an OLD road made in 0.14.x or older works though.

#3 bob.blunderton, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. CEvans

CEvans
    Expand Collapse

Having the same issue with decal fades only halfway working in the current update and adding a bunch of unnecessary numbers on the input number. (0.15.0.4)

5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I found out in one instance, the texture was causing the fade out, oddly. I couldn't reproduce it 100% so I am going to try to reproduce these (the devs couldn't), on my other maps as I fix them up for re-release.

6. LuisAntonRebollo

LuisAntonRebollo
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We are not really sure about the issue.

In our internal tests serialization of "distanceFade" works properly.

Will be very helpful if anyone can find a "step to reproduce" for we can understand and fix the issue.

Thx for the report :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I'm working on getting it to reproduce, I will drop you a line as soon as I manage to get it to act up again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice