Dedicated to Victims this morning...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Car8john, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

this is a thread to remember the 15 Dead and 14 Injured Junior League Hockey players that where involved in a highway collision with a semi truck this morning in Saskatchewan, the team from Humboldt, Sask. Left on their bus early this morning to head to a game in their tournament, when they where T-Boned by a Semi truck when at a highway intersection, the ages of the players ranging from 16-21, among the dead was the youngest player, who would be seventeen this Thursday, the team captain, described as a kind and gentle person, and the head coach, who leaves behind his wife and 2 sons.

This is also to mourn the lives of those lost in this morning attack in Germany, when a delivery van was deliberately drives into a open air Cafe, killing 2 people, injuring 20 others

Truly a terrible circumstance for 51 families to never live another day the same as yesterday, and who will have an even harder Tommorow...

Edited due to fact changes

#1 Car8john, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Damn, that's brutal. I wish their families hope and I feel bad for them TBH.

3. losr

losr
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

wow... :(

4. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, we have learned that one more of the junior league hockey players has died from critical condition, our hearts go out to their families, friends, and loved ones
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, why was this moved from general to general off topic? Oh well....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Ouch. That's sad. Though I guess the survivors are lucky that they were on a bus and not a plane. Everyone would've died then.

Is there any information on what all lead to the accident? Or are they still investigating?
    --- Post updated ---
    I agree with the decision. It fits better in Off-Topic.

6. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Well, the main leads from the news was the amount of objects blocking the view of the truck driver from seeing the bus cross the highway, the positioning of the sun facing the truck drivers eyes, and the overall nature of that highway system
    --- Post updated ---
    A lot of the information is on the CBC website, where Canadians get news

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Even America is reporting on it, such as CNN:
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/07/americas/canada-bus-crash/index.html

8. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

9. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Lots of times, the non US-news are usually from Europe or Asia. (Especially Asia)
    The strange thing is that Mexico currently gets more coverage than Canada, although it was most likely because of politics.

For Brazil, (half of my genetic nationality) they mostly cover the US, rarely any other countries currently.

10. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Huh, I know in Canada we get little American news, just political issues and tragedies, our news is usually 2-3 happy people around a desk who, at the end of each segment, have found a fun viral video to watch because nothing exciting happens in Canada.... Well, you can't call a disaster exciting...

11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

For some reason, there's not a whole lot of coverage in the US for Japan, and is focusing for now on Russia and partially the UK. Since I don't watch a whole lot of news nowadays (Brazilian or American), I have to infer based on what I watched before. Atleast for Globo (Brazil), they have a bit more variety in coverage of their own country. Most of the times, Brazil either covers sports or shootings (I call them shootings only because they involve weaponry), while America is more on politics... pretty boring when it makes up more than 50% of the news.

12. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

I guess

13. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

*sits at my PC Super quite for 15 seconds to honor the 15 people*

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

I actually thought that if the whole forum could give 15 minutes of silence for each member killed, that would be very fitting

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

The only news stations I watch the most is Globo (already listed) and Fox News. I can tell you that you will be getting A LOT of politic-based stories than Globo, which gets tiring after a while. (Even adults get sick of it, and I'm just wishing for a new topic to focus on.)

The German incident you mentioned is somewhat similar to what happened in Barcelona last year, although it was with an crowd on the streets instead of an restaurant front.

16. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

Our world recently has been ridden with terrorism... Such a sad thing to see happen, and the only thing you can do is watch and mourn

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

That would be the second-most reported-on topic news do. Just an question, what are the differences with news stations in Oregon and Massachusetts on how much and what topics they report on.
    (I'll do some research myself.)

18. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

I don't really know
    why specifically those two states?

19. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Those are the states I will have an connection with. (Oregon for the later future, since I only had lived in Massachusetts for my lifetime)

20. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

oh
    I couldn't really answer that question, because i don't live in either state.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice