Defects

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by CaffeinatedPixels, Dec 13, 2014.

1. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

Something that would be awesome is if some cars had defects.

For example, the game could produce a random chance roll for a part to fail. EX. The Sunburst could have a chance roll for the throttle to stick.

2. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

I like this idea. Surely it would get annoying.

3. Atomix

Atomix
    Expand Collapse

I can imagine it would be highly annoying when happening often, and to make it not annoying it would have to happen really really really rarely, But then it is not worth programming.

no

4. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Beam seems to be all about very specific, rare events happening. Just look at the Moonhawk. The chances of getting in a wreck bad enough for it to eject the entire engine are really, really small. But it can.

5. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Oh, I know, lets have cops everywhere that pull you over and give you defect ticket if your car is too low. Or I know, if you crash too many times in BeamNG, it takes your license away and doesn't let you drive any more. Or, if you play too long, it makes you pull over to have a pee.

There are some parts of real life that are not worth simulating, get it? Random mechanical failure is one of them.

6. CaffeinatedPixels

CaffeinatedPixels
    Expand Collapse

When Chevrolet recalled the Cobalts, over 700,000 had been produced.

Only 14,000 actually had the problem.

And I believe the problem would most likely amplify when there's a career mode, where the car has actual use, instead of being spawned onto Grid Map and driven around for 25 minutes.

7. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I have a similar idea... What about rust? That could easily be added. Just weaken the effected parts Jbeam.

8. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Does anybody manage to drive a car long enough for this to even matter before they hit a tree and reset?

9. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

How about a button that just randomly selects a part and makes it disappear? Should be easy enough to implement. (In my mind anyway.)

10. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Well not so much a button, cause accidentally hitting it would cause headaches of anger. What about an option in your garage? I think that would be better

11. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

No. I meant a UI button like the break hinges (or whatever it is) and deflate tires thing that's already there. Like, now. Not in the future when we have all the career stuff. Just for funsies.

12. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

well since the devs would also like to have the sandbox mode, if it does get added (which since it's basically just choosing a random part of the vehicle and removing it, could probably be done with the games current state) i'd personally hope it would still be available in the sandbox mode at the point in time they have the career and all that

13. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Dice rolls are kind of annoying, I thought we moved beyond them in gaming. Back in the early days of this forum I made a post about how I'd want part failure to work.

I still stand by this post. It doesn't introduce part failure right away. It's after you've really beaten down the parts so that they're approaching their manufacturer's intended lifespan we start thinking about mechanical failures.. but you've also got the ability to get things to be in service for a ridiculously long time despite all odds.

Buying a second hand car ingame would be a risk, as I said. but imagine it. You buy this "used" car with various random usage values. If the car is heavily used it might not last long till you encounter a crescendo of complete failures. You can build a car restoration aspect from this. If the car you buy is so used everything mechanical and electrical is nearly dead and cutting out intermittently or occasionally breaking alltogether then you have the basis for buying parts to restore a car you think is worth restoring.... or joyride it/use it as a demo derby car. You've also got the maintenence aspect and the platespinning that occcurs in real life when you own a car and want to keep it alive. Everything wears down and starts failing quickly enough thatone year the car is fine, the next year things need replacing constantly. It's an ongoing expense but the major failures are far enough apart that you think it's worth keeping the fucker on the road

#13 Hati, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i remember that post

i'd imagine that's already planned for the career mode, since the devs are planning to make an SLRR like career mode, but way better (at which point the game will be coded to know how to save that kind of data anyway)

15. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, we're a long way off the whole simulating "owning" the car. There's only 7 completed vehicles for the vanilla game, no save games or actual sandbox as such. Still in the tech demo stages. We don't need to worry about this right now.

16. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Something of this caliber while cool, is light years away from being realized on a bigtime level. I can think of a trillions things do with this but it ain't gonna happen
    from the devs and I doubt even the most skilled modder out there has the time or inclination to code something like this right now. Certainly a cool idea though.

17. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

People assuming it wouldn't be an option...

18. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking this when I read the complaints. Once the game is finished enough I assume it could have an SLRR-style used car dealer with various failing cars.

19. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

I certainly feel like this is going to be a part of the final game, who knows when that may be though. I'm thinking 2017-2018 ish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice