1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Deleted mod shows as 'Missing Preview'

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by JoshOz, Jul 10, 2020.

1. JoshOz

JoshOz
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,
    I am having trouble with a mod that I installed from the repository. I have removed it from my library (unsubscribing) like I have done with other mods but for some reason it keeps showing a tile in the vehicle selection. If I try to load the vehicle it doesn't actually load so the mod is not active. I have even gone into the JSON database file and manually deleted the reference to the mod but after running BeamNg the file gets rewritten with the reference to the mod returning. I've included a screenshot so you can see what I mean.
    Also, I tried adding the mod and removing it again but that didn't work either. Any ideas???
    JoshOz.

Attached Files:

• BeamNGdriveScreenshot20200710-16245897.png
    #1 JoshOz, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

This is a very specific issue that I happen to know quite a lot about, so I guess it's time for me to finally create an account and write my first message, explaining what is causing it.
    Imagine if you have 2 mods: one adds a vehicle, and the other adds something to the previous one, like a new part. What happens when you delete the first one? Obviously, the second mod won't work, because you can't select the vehicle it modifies. In this case, it shouldn't appear in the selector, because the mod only "turns on" after you spawn the vehicle. But in this specific case it's different. There are mods that add content to multiple other mods (example: Firwood Police Skin Pack). For them, once you spawn one of the vehicles that use this mod, it activates for all other ones, even for the mod vehicles you don't have. Since the mod can't find vehicles it's supposed to modify, it "creates" some of them itself (and I have no idea why it only works like this for some vehicles, and for others not). Since it doesn't create the preview images, it causes the issue you are having. Obviously it doesn't create the vehicle itself either, that's why it would probably spawn the default D-Series if you tried spawning it. In order to fix this issue, you need to either delete the mod that modifies the vehicle from the missing preview, or unpack it and delete just the folder of said vehicle (I'm not sure if you are allowed to do this kind of stuff, probably you would have to ask the mod author).
    Now, you might be wondering, what kind of mod you have that modifies the Semi EU Truck? This is where it gets even more tricky.
    The only mod I know of that does this is the Drivers, Passengers and Loads mod. You might ask, what does it change in the mod? It changes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Why does it cause this issue then? Because it does have all the files that are SUPPOSED TO add content (like with other vehicles, it adds a driver and a passenger), but they don't work. And the reason why is very simple. The mod always works by adding stuff to the Additional Modifications slot, which the Semi EU Truck doesn't even have! Why did the author leave files that don't work in the mod then? I might know the answer to this too. Both the Passengers mod and the Semi EU Truck were made by Synsol. He might have had another version of the truck on his PC that does have the slot, maybe as an update to the mod which he forgot to upload, and it all worked for him. This is just my theory, it might not be true. What I still don't know is why the issue with the preview image only occurs for the Semi EU Truck, and not for any other vehicle the Passengers mod supports.
    Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Tl;dr: it's most likely the Drivers, Passengers and Loads mod causing this for you.

3. JoshOz

JoshOz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Agent Y. As it turns out you are correct about the 'Passengers and loads' mod being the culprit. I had that mod installed and once removed, the 'semi_eu_truck’ missing preview went away. Now that I think about it, I don’t remember downloading the 'semi eu truck' mod in the first place so maybe it is strictly related to the 'Passengers and loads' mod. Either way I’m satisfied that it’s gone. It would be nice to know if anyone has the 'Passengers and loads’ mod installed without this problem occurring. Thanks once again for taking the time and effort to create an account just to answer my question. Hopefully you can put your knowledge of BeamNG to good use on the forum.
    JoshOz.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice