Released Desert Highway 2021.12.29

Now 75 Miles of Roads!

1. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Ah shit. Not intentional. The editor does this sometimes. Will fix tonight.

2. PainyTOXA

PainyTOXA
    Expand Collapse

Just wanted to tell you about that crater :D
    At first you're doing 320+kmph and the second later you're completely flat after hitting the ground :)

The roads are not as flat as I like tho. Maybe doing a huuuge 3-4 line highway around the map is a good proposal? It could provide us with some great views.

Nice map, I like to see it's still updating.

Attached Files:

• 20170705150846_1.jpg
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

This thing is like a tumor I can never get rid of when I do updates lol.

Will fix tonight.

4. PolishPetrolhead

PolishPetrolhead
    Expand Collapse

Maybe instead of repairing it make a bridge over and forget about fixing it again every time you want to do any update to the map?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mii_Channel

Mii_Channel
    Expand Collapse

6. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Nah, too much of a pain.
    Tried to fix that in the past but the game wouldn't let me.
    --- Post updated ---
    Update 13.1.01, to be approved.

Fixed massive terrain blemish in the center of the map. Thanks for pointing it out!

7. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

8. games11

games11
    Expand Collapse

very good

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I missed the version with the huge crater in the road, would have been fun to blast through BOOM WTF. I have a perpetually volcano-looking spot at my 0,0,0 coordinates in my So-Cal I never bothered to fix, in fact, I just let it there like a work of art, on purpose. I got sick of fixing it :) It's near a cloverleaf that leads to a mountainous but straight section of highway, and an unfinished bridge is next to it leading to an island, in my So-Cal map if anyone cares to look, but seriously man, don't feel bad.... this happens to all mappers.
    There's always that one spot. It does it every time you're in the terrain tools, changing the terrain, and it SKIPS/HITCHES, that's when it does it. As it's hitching (try working near to the spot it errors at, meaning, the part with the crater), the cursor will snap back while it's frozen to 0,0,0 because the editor isn't communicating where the cursor should be while changes are made. To minimize this happening, when you get hitching, let off the button for a second as soon as you can. It's totally aggro-inducing when it happens though. It's happened to me more than once, like OOPS, DOH! No good deed goes unpunished, they say.

In fact, I am pretty sure if you find 0,0,0 in Roane County, there's a small pit there. It's in the middle of a corn field, so who cares.

10. Latios Jeff

Latios Jeff
    Expand Collapse

We'll just say that a sink hole happened in that cornfield. I couldn't help but chuckle a bit at that line.
    as for the main topic... that is pretty useful to know about that quirk in the map editor and with maps that are so massively huge makes errors much harder to spot, especially if said map has a lot of stuff going on in it.

11. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yes, best thing to do is leave it error away until you're tying up loose ends, so-to-speak, and getting ready to ship it out for folks to download, then fix that spot when you're sure you're done messing about with the terrain for a while. Sure, if it's a small-enough map, you can move it away from 0,0,0 so that the terrain isn't under or above those coordinates, however, this can only be done when the map is just begun to be built. If it's a large map, or at-least moderate sized, say 6km x 6km across, you would rather have it centered so it didn't get the 'large map shakes' like my Roane County map gets when you're at or near the edges of it (this is due to floating point precision loss, which gets exponentially worse the further you get from 0,0,0). So basically, what really isn't visible a mere few miles from 0,0,0, is quite visible 10 miles out and looks like the car has a loose vacuum line/vacuum leak, or isn't running on all cylinders, or that there is a small 4.0~4.5 scale earthquake going on. So, it's the shakes, or the occasional boo-boo from the editor, the boo-boo is at-least fixable in a few minutes. It comes down to the lesser of two evils.

On-topic here, I did enjoy the latest revision of this map, especially one specific quality I have always enjoyed about it:
    It's when you get sick of driving ON the road, you can now drive OFF the road, and use the varying terrain as huge jumps and go mega-crazy with jump length and completely obliterate the car. I've made sure my so-cal map has that quality too, as it's quite a hoot when you get going at a good pace. My 'Buick Oldington' / Le Granny Bucket (read: Legran) got pretty far up the side of that hill before it fell off, crashing all the way to the bottom into a mangled mess. Always fun!

Far end of the map where a few roads combine, there's a couple bushes in the road, but I didn't really see anything else out of whack too badly. Everything seemed pretty well in order.
    There was a misplaced sign near the top of the waterfall (if you're looking at the front of the falls, the road on the left, as you get to the top of the steeeeeep dirt road, the road curves left as it's cresting the hill, there's a mostly-buried sign here off the the right about 15~25 feet off the side of the road).

This map has come a long way, job well done I'd say, especially now that it's really starting to give you that feeling of a true desert highway. Glad the mesh roads are mostly all gone, too... I don't think anyone misses those things!

12. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

There are small stuff like the waterfall and the mountain lake not having the right coloration, some paths not being smooth enough, far away land has ugly textures, but i dont think that you are unaware of those.

If you pick a plane and go from the spawn point into the mountain you might see a very small square of not-terrain in which you can see and go through. Next to the road path leading up the mountain. Thought you should know.

13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

OH NOESSS!!!! POTTY WORDS!!!! IMMA TELL YO MOMMA!!!
    Mua-hahahaha.

Enjoy the new editor updates guys.
    We got one way roads now (with 'flip direction).
    That's thanks to the developers... and me constantly complaining about not having them with every version that did not.
    So I know what I'll be doing...fixing...all...of...my...maps... well 3/4 of them.
    Guess who won't be spending any money on black Friday sales because of having too much to do?
    (this is aside of the fact that i'd just about cut pennies in half to save money, it's the way I am/was raised)
    It would be safe to say my invisible road trick is here to stay.

The developers are using it in their new map. Awesome. I wouldn't want to have to do hundreds, thousands possibly, of way-points, to get my AI to go where it's supposed to but refuses, without said trick.

14. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Hey, sorry to bother you i<3mods but are you gonna continue work on this map or are you gonna officially abandon it?

15. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Enjoy it for what it is. This is not something I want to spend my free time doing anymore. Anyone's free to update this or modify it.

16. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Oh, well, that's a shame. I hope you still enjoy doing something related to modding anyways

17. Crazy Killer

Crazy Killer
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Hey buddy, how big is this map? e.g. The small island, USA is 2048 × 2048. Since my laptop not so good at gaming and i haven't downloaded it :/

18. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

about 7x7 or 8x8

19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

This should be easy for your laptop to run, despite it's size.
    If I remember correctly, it's just a hair smaller than Roane County... not by much though.
    4096 meters x 5, in both the X direction and Y direction. Something like 21.x km x 21.x km, it's not much different than the map I made.
    This map is MUCH easier on RAM and CPU and GPU to run, than Roane County however, so if you have integrated graphics, you might be able to pull of 720p @ low to medium settings on half-decent integrated (intel 4200) graphics with at-least 512mb~1gb of video memory.
    If you only have 256~512mb or so of video memory, then consider 'lowest' and turn all optional details and shadows off (you can often leave shadows for your own vehicle only enabled, if you have all but the slowest / oldest of processors).
    Reflections are definitely out unless you have a great CPU and a good GPU.
    My old Radeon 7850 2GB ran this like a boss on my 4790k when I still was using that card & PC.

For what it's worth, Roane County isn't the size it is to one-up anyone; it's the size the terrain translated to, to be accurate (mileage-wise) between highway exits as I measured by driving across the map from one known location to another.
    That being said this is a great go-to for some high speed and serious air-time, no wings/airplanes needed...

@iheartmods if you long for a city map, my Los Injurus city has just that, it's finally out. It also has all the modular city-road-building pieces you could ever wish for. Roads, highways, subways, road tunnels, train tracks, bridges, train crossings, jersey barrier, pillars, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  20. EdibleLiquid

EdibleLiquid
    Expand Collapse

I'm aware this thread is about 8 years old but it's the only thing I can find to contact anyone about this, I have a lot of missing textures, I don't know if this is my fault or not, please help, thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice