Destructible oil pans

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by crazikyle, Jun 9, 2020.

1. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

It would be nice if you could damage oil pans on cars and run them out of oil. If you drive over too big a rock, or land a jump a little too hard, your oil starts leaking out until you have none and you kill the engine. I'm not asking for much, I don't think it should be necessary to redo engine models to add an oil pan and oil pan J beam; just designate the existing bottom part of the engine block as an oil pan and damaging it when those nodes and beams experience too much stress would work. Could do the same for transmissions and kill the transmission when the fluid drains. This would also make skid plates practical, as they now actually protect something valuable.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mrsmash

mrsmash
    Expand Collapse

the actual engine damage caused by oil loss from the pan damage would be entirely possible, but creating a liquid particle that leaks would require much more work than it’s worth at the moment

3. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I don't think there should be particles, a slick, or anything like that. You're right, it's just too taxing and not worth it.

Though now that I think about it, it would be difficult to tell if you are leaking oil without particles or a slick. If you break a radiator, you get nice plumes of smoke. Maybe adding an oil pressure light on the dashboards and the HUD and turning it on when the oil pan is damaged would suffice.

4. alanas

alanas
    Expand Collapse

Well well well...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice