1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Stuck, Having problems with creating your mod? Let us help you: Mod Support

WIP Beta released DH Super Gnat 0.99

The first, and the worst! Full mechanical swash plate helicopter

1. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

#1 Darren9, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    • Awesome Awesome x 31
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Stoat Muldoon

Stoat Muldoon
    Expand Collapse

Looks excellent, interested to see how you control the blade pitch. I tried something similar a while back with mediocre/terrible results. :) The dummy is a nice touch too :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, a good description could be a hydraulic system with cyclic/collective pitch mixing, I think, I'm not a helicopter expert, it just seems to work :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

this looks great!

5. ┬┐Carbohydration?

┬┐Carbohydration?
    Expand Collapse

On as scale of 1-10, how hard is it to control?

6. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

If a real helicopter is 10 then at the moment it's 7 or 8, there's no torque reaction from the rotor to the chassis so any action that adjusts the engine torque doesn't spin the tail around. That'll be added, but only as an option because 10/10 real helicopter is difficult :) It won't be possible to fly with a keyboard, I haven't added the option to set up keys, you need at least a gamepad with two sticks to have a chance.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

Will it be possible to set it up with RC Transmitters? (The ones for stuff like miniquads and RC, well, helicopters.) I'd love to use mine with this, but setting it up for other things proved to be difficult.

8. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

Unless you have a receiver for your transmitter that connects to the Windows operating system and presents standard Windows joystick axis to the game then I'd say probably not.

9. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

I do, it's a FlySky i6 and it shows up in game as a ppm controlller, but the axes aren't quite standard, and the in game setup doesn't let you fully customize them. I was wondering if you could have like an "Inverted Controls" (not that you'd actually just invert them, just an example) version that would have the controls preconfigured.

10. MrMrMan

MrMrMan
    Expand Collapse

Looking forward to this mod. Hope it turns out well.

11. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

That's interesting, I didn't know such things existed, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do, I don't have access to the control/axis setup - that's taken care of by the game engine. I'm just using the standard "aircraft" controller and assign the available pitch, roll and yaw controls to the various actuators on my vehicle. If the problem was just an inverted axis I could flip it in the jbeam but any more than that (limits/deadzones/centering) I don't think so.

12. SirGak

SirGak
    Expand Collapse

I don't suppose you would be able to update the Bell 407 using your control system?

13. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

The Bell belongs to @DrowsySam and it was removed on his request, I don't have permission to view the thread. He's welcome to use my swashplate/rotor/drivetrain system to update his if he wants to but grafting different parts of different helicopters together will be more grief than making one from scratch I should think.

14. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

Got a few more bits done over the weekend, still needs the lower frame and controls at the front and a few other things along with some .lua to control the throttle properly.

• Awesome Awesome x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MilanKD

MilanKD
    Expand Collapse

Lol, where's the Dank music explosion when u do the flip ;)

Great work, looking forward to using it

16. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

I managed to rig the dummy to move all the controls.

• Awesome Awesome x 5
  17. AfterShock360

AfterShock360
    Expand Collapse

Nice! I look forward to annihilating it with the ME262's Heat Seekers! LOL. But seriously, looks great! #NoDummyLeftLiving

18. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

This looks like another high quality mod coming!

I just noticed in the second video all the small details, like the swashplate tilting 90 degrees away from expected direction to account for gyroscopic precession, and you can hear the motor being loaded down when under full collective.

Amazing!!! Cant wait!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Clemens1441

Clemens1441
    Expand Collapse

pls download link :D

20. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

It's still in development, and may I just say this looks really promising!

• Agree Agree x 2