1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Stuck, Having problems with creating your mod? Let us help you: Mod Support

WIP Beta released DH Super Gnat 0.99

The first, and the worst! Full mechanical swash plate helicopter

1. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Triggers for Torque? Man, I hadn't even thought of that, but that's pretty nifty. I'll have to give that a go soon.

2. Mr_bin

Mr_bin
    Expand Collapse

How do i pilot this thing?????????????

3. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

Three Steps:
    1. Use a joystick or controller. (you can't fly it from the keyboard)
    2. Access the controls menu > look under "Vehicle Specific Bindings" > link the flight controls to your controller/joystick
    3. Practice (flying a helicopter is a lot more complicated than driving a car)

Good Luck!

4. MrWohoo

MrWohoo
    Expand Collapse

I'm guessing youre just as big a fan of DCS as i am :p I do love the Huey, haven't tried the Gazelle yet, but i will eventually :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

The tell you the truth, Ive only played a DCS demo years ago, with the big russian coaxial. It didnt hold my attention,so I didnt buy it. It's hard to say why it didnt do it for me. It just had the same "plastic" feel that everything else had. And the fake-a** crashes...ugh. I remember the heli feeling all right, but the ground dynamics of the heli and the scenery didnt do it for me.

Where as the Gnat feels like its alive. It jiggles a bit as the rotor comes up to speed ---cool. You have to get light on the skids first, feed in a bit of left cyclic just before you pick it up (to counters the tail's lateral thrust)---awesome. If you input any large cyclic before its ready to lift, the gyroscopic effects can be felt with how it responds ---whoa, heart attack!!!

Have you ever seen videos of helicopters self -destructing due to ground resonance? It's basically mechanical feedback that amplifies if the heli is mishandled by the pilot while spun up. Well, the Gnat feels like it could do this. Hasnt yet... but I really wonder if all that would naturally simulate itself if the heli was heavier and if the skids were more flexible. It may not actually, but I think it says a lot that it convinces you that it could! @darren, i hope you consider modeling some flex into the landing skids on your next heli project!

The thing with dcs and others which is a huge negative, is that the size of maps are traded for detail. The granular detail that BeamNG maps have fits perfect with helicopters operations. So much so, that I secretly wish Beam devs would make "aero" a dedicated development goal in order to make helicopters and other aircraft be at their best. The potential for scenarios involving accurate bush planes or helis threading crazy approaches to insane mountainside landing areas... well, a guy can dream :)

6. MrWohoo

MrWohoo
    Expand Collapse

Hey if you havent tried DCS in years, i can promise you that today, the helicopters in DCS is a dream. Its so much fun to fly and it feels really realistic. It is in my belief that the flight models and aerodynamics in DCS is the best commercially available flight simulator out there.

I do recommend you pick it up and see for yourself :)

And yes, i do hope BeamNG devs really pick up the impotancy of flight development within the game, could be really giving.

7. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, may have to give it another shot then. Arent there a bunch of different packs? Do you recommend one in particular? Hopefully my old system can handle it. Always did like the eye candy in the cockpit, and the fact that you can pretty much use all the switches.

8. Dyghaun

Dyghaun
    Expand Collapse

I've had a blast with dcs black shark 2 with the coax ka50...
    all of its buttons work!

on beam thought I think there's no ground effect :(
    I mean, there's no airflow from the blades...
    keeping it on the ground, light on the pads with 70% throttle it still overheats...

9. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, ground effect would be something on my wish list for the ideal "aero beamng." Also, I am not sure if translational lift is something that can be modeled either. And how awesome would it be to have "dirty air" modelled, just so you can get that chop chop chop during when the rotors are cutting through their own wake.

Im just dreaming now ...:p

10. MrWohoo

MrWohoo
    Expand Collapse

Well the most popular modules are the F-15 and the A-10C Warthog. Bear in mind it comes in handy to have a few sturdy peripherals at hand, etc. the Warthog A-10C joystick and throttle. I myself have it, and its capital awesome. Also a set of rudder pedals, and if you can afford it, either TrackIR 5 or one of the VR headsets. For fixed-wing airplanes i must recommend the A-10C, as it comes featured with a fully interactive cockpit and flight characteristics. In later years, the DCS team and third parties have released additional aircrafts with similar interactivity as the A.10C, so there is little to no loss in realism on that part.
    The aircrafts thats been ported from Flaming cliffs and Lock-on are more arcade-like, much like the SU-25, the free aircraft in the base game. But it dosent make it any less fun. believe me.

But when it comes to helicopters, i do recommend all of them, in which includes the Huey, Mi-8, KA-50 and the Gazelle, the latter in which i haven't had the opportunity to try yet. All of them comes with a fully interactive cockpit, as real as you can get them, although the Huey is by far the easiest to operate in the cockpit, due to its simplicity, and the hardest is both the MI-8 and the KA-50, due to it being russian, and we all know how they like to over complicate things for their pilots.

The flight dynamics, characteristics and aerodynamics are unprecedented in commercially available flight sims found today, and that is why DCS is one of the best in the business.

#130 MrWohoo, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

The Devs did say they'd look at ground effect at some point, it's quite important for cars as well, but we'll have to wait and see - I don't think they've finished with aerodynamics yet. At the moment each surface has a "lift", a "drag" and a "stall angle", and they're based on the area of the triangles. It's up to the modder/creator to tweak those values for different shape aerofoils.

I added a turbo option to the engine with a scary high 148bhp, and reduced the over-rpm damage threshold since the problem with the blades spinning up too easily has mostly been fixed, and changed the default keys for the Xbox pad around to leave the camera controls alone (left stick). I'm relying that anyone who knows they really want all the analogue axis controls will know how to assign them in the menu :)

There's an official update in the repository that should be available some time soon.

12. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

Darren9 updated DH Super Gnat with a new update entry:

Realism Improvements and Adjustments

Read the rest of this update entry...

13. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Turbo Version? right then time to crack some knuckles and get hacking in a stage 3 Variable boost turbo *Evil Insane Laughter* you better be afraid.....CodeGraice is about!

14. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

You'll need to increase the radiator, it already overheats if you stop moving :)

15. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Also why did you change the entire control system on the vehicle itself, I use to be able to fly so easily on the "Easy" setup now its impossible, is there any way I could get the old controls back?

16. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

There still there, some people complained that the first one blocked the camera movement. The collective and rudder can have either two buttons/keys or one axis, to have the axis just delete the buttons/keys and set the control with the (axis) label to your desired joystick axis (settings > controls > vehicle specific controls). Unfortunately whichever way I set it up it doesn't work too well with the default "control a car" settings Beam has. This way makes it a bit easier for someone with just a keyboard/mouse to see how to get those working.

17. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

haha yeah well I figured out the controls which is bloody weird, would be helpful if you had a moving graphic of the main control input stick that moved in real time with the input and a collective as well, its an idea for you but it would be useful

18. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

I agree that's ideally what's needed, I'm not too good at programming though. Perhaps the Devs will get around to adding an aircraft controls app to go with the airplane input system they recently added, then I'd be able to copy it :)

19. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah definitely it would be an idea I mean who does the UI around here?, as for the Turbocharger I was thinking of swapping in some code to make that turbocharger you added into a Variable Boost Turbo, its easy when you know what to look for in any of the car files for a stage 3 Turbocharger, take that code and then splice it into yours and away you go, Variable boost Turbo

20. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

I havent tried the new version with the turbo yet. Something tells me that the tail rotor wont be able to keep up with the extra torque :). This should be fun!