1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Stuck, Having problems with creating your mod? Let us help you: Mod Support

WIP Beta released DH Super Gnat 0.99

The first, and the worst! Full mechanical swash plate helicopter

1. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Its good fun, I ended up tweaking it to get this helicopter to produce something like 280bhp and it could crest 140mph in the process but the fuel economy was HORRIBLE...

2. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

Umm.....yeah. So I took it out the realistic version for a spin. You'll probably want to avoid full collective.... pretty much ever... at any point in flight. Otherwise you get a nice sweeping 360 degree view of the world around you :p . Perhaps a model of a little vertical tail fin for yaw stability is in order? (ducks behind wall out of shame for asking for more)

But wow wee is this thing fast for a little chopper! It's proper "cheeks flapping in the breeze" speeds!

Nicely done model on the turbo by the way, all hanging out :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Very cool, that's insanely fast! I think at that speed you might actually want fuel economy to be bad so you can just land the thing and change your shorts.:D Did you try out your 280hp using the realistic version yet? It should be fun...once haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. LIFE

LIFE
    Expand Collapse

IMPORTANT - Can be flown with keyboard and mouse but it's very difficult, you'll need to set up the controls yourself.
    *sniff sniff* I smell a dare that needs to be accepted.......

4. Dyghaun

Dyghaun
    Expand Collapse

One day, one sim will be the only sim you need ;)

seriously now, how much are they paying you?o_O
    that reads exactly like sales material :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

YES!!! Ive been waiting a long time for an accurate "everything" sim! Ever since the days of Operation Flashpoint (pre-Arma). That was the first game I played that made it seem you kinda were in that world. You could walk, ride a bike, fly, drive cars, tanks, boats. All simplistic (but sufficient) physics because it was fps game, but immersive. Then i found kerbal space program, which then meant my everything sim needed to have outer space as well.
    Sim geeks...sometimes we talk like that. :)
    I guess that's why we dont always get why people seem to prefer a keyboard

• Like Like x 1
    • Awesome Awesome x 1
  6. MrWohoo

MrWohoo
    Expand Collapse

Yeah seems about right :)

@Darren9 Hey, you might add a tailfin next to the tailrotor, or furthest point of the tailboom, to stabilize yaw , so you dont have to adjust with rudderpedals under high speed.

Just a suggestion :)

#146 MrWohoo, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely a blast to learn to fly, in all its brutal, complicated, realistic glory.

Learning to get around was relatively easy - learning to take off, maneuver and land consistently is definitely the hard part, and I am still working on it - more videos to come, from more locations as I get better. Definitely up there with the motorcycle as my new "Everest" vehicle to conquer.

#147 NewoFox, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

@cgjunk @MrWohoo and anyone else who's interested in testing a tail-plane, I stuck on a removable one, it allows full collective/torque in the realistic with turbo option once you get up to a high forward speed.

Also, thanks entirely to @metalmuncher for giving me a centrifugal clutch, I've removed the gearbox. Just increase the throttle to max and the blades will engage, they'll disengage immediately if you turn off the engine/ignition (useful for emergency auto-rotate landings). With the turbo fitted the clutch will slip to keep the engine in turbo's boost range (around 3000rpm) if you reduce the rotor rpm too far to allow a faster recovery and not need to "spin up" the turbo again.

screenshot_00229.png

Attached Files:

• Awesome Awesome x 4
  9. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

Awesome, again! Thanks to @metalmuncher as well, the clutch is a real nice addition. And it works perfectly on the over-run, just like I would expect. Hassle-free auto rotations now!

After a few high speed delivery runs across East Coast, it seems the tail fin is doing quite a nice job. I havent used the turbo yet, but with the realistic version with regular motor, I can relax the tail rotor input entirely once I reach 60-70mph. At that speed it's pretty immune from getting overwhelmed with full collective. Only when you overtorque the main rotor, and the RPMs decay below the green band, is it that the tail rotor loses effectiveness, and it snaps to the right. This makes perfect sense because at that point, the low RPMs at the tail would not be able to make enough thrust.

Also, even if the tail fin didn't work, it looks so cool on this thing I'd keep it anyway :)

I'll report back if I see anything odd pop-up, but so far the tail fin fits right in.

EDIT: The turbo works great! This thing's is a rocket, It's like Im flying a mini MD-500

#149 cgjunk, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

As of current testing, the tail-plane seems very helpful in terms of high and low speed stability! Great work bringing such a complicated contraption to life in BeamNG ^_^

With practice comes improved skill -

Hovering down to the ground at the end takes forever, but it was so satisfying to do right. I really feel like I am getting the hang of it! I'm really surprised I was able to fool around like I did in this video and come out alive.

Update - A lot of shaky and frankly clumsy maneuvering in this video, but the successful recovery from a stall @ around 2:46 is something I am quite proud of - that and the fact that my landing and take-off technique have greatly improved since the last video.

#150 NewoFox, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

Just watched the second video. Nicely done! I noticed that you led with a bit of left cyclic right as you lifted off..very nice. Were you using the realistic version?

Also, nice semi auto-rotation recovery! Next time go for a full auto. Shut down that engine and fly like a maple seed! It's still pretty forgiving, since the blades still give a fair amount of lift well below the yellow band. You can do it!

Are you using a joystick, or a gamepad?

Id like to make some videos, unfortunately my frame rates go down too much when using recording software. I can record fine with the ingame app, but Im sure I cant export that to youtube. Oh well...

#151 cgjunk, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. NewoFox

NewoFox
    Expand Collapse

I recently graduated to the realistic version between the last video and the one before.

As for controls, I am using a Steam Controller with the gyro (180 points of data on X & Y position each) as the simulated flight stick, the triggers as the tail rotor control, and the gas pedal from my Logitech G29 controlling the collective.

It really is the best way I have found of controlling the helicopter thus far, giving a combination of flight stick/collective finesse that can't really be matched short of having dedicated flight hardware.

Thanks - I am working on getting better every time I boot BeamNG up, as it is easily my favorite vehicle alongside the motorcycle.

Maneuvering this beast successfully feels like I am accomplishing something for which the default outcome is violent and often deadly failure.

#152 NewoFox, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  13. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

I managed to get an un-guided missile working, no sound yet, and I'm really not sure about getting 5 more on to fill the pod.

• Awesome Awesome x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

@Darren9 I found a bug with the latest release, it doesnt show fuel level and I have tried patching it, but to no luck

15. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

I'll need to have a look, I haven't checked that for a few versions - it definitely worked some-when :p

16. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Okay thanks, I also tweaked the "Fun" engine with my "Mad Turbo" and also gave it twice the power, if you want the engine file I will gladly send it to you so you can see the madness I created haha

17. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

Dear Mr Darren9,
    You should be ashamed of yourself. Your behaviors and modding activites are responsible for causing me, a grown-a** man, to giggle like a litlle kid in anticipation of another update. That is embarrasing to me, and my family. I have one thing to say to you: carry on my friend. :p:oops:

I agree that filling all 5 tubes might be problematic. Hmm. The eternal challenge of aeronautics. Increasing the weight leads to more increases in weight. However...... a slightly longer tail boom could give the tailrotor more leverage. Or a larger tailrotor itself. Pair it up with the turbo, and bam...Bob's your uncle!

Of course, the rocket gasses could be harmful to the pilot, so maybe a fairing...hmmm....just for safety, you understand...

#157 cgjunk, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

Here's another teaser, if you hold the fire button they ripple fire at 0.3s intervals, they're actually accurate enough to hit something while flying :) Some problems with the flame effects at the moment due to I can't program. Six are gone awfully quick as well, I might have to look at a small gun on the other side.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cgjunk

cgjunk
    Expand Collapse

I was going to say it needs a gunsight now, but you already took care of that :)

20. Darren9

Darren9
    Expand Collapse

Here's one to try, I ended up with a 6 pack of missiles each side. You'll need to go into settings>controls and set the "Trigger" to a key or button. My .lua skill is poor, so it's badly optimised, it seems to run OK on my PC. The range isn't very far before they start to curve down and I expect I'll have a better sight. Let me know if there's problems.

Attached Files:

#160 Darren9, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    • Awesome Awesome x 4