1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Do NOT underestimate the importance of sound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrankHH, May 29, 2015.

1. FrankHH

FrankHH
    Expand Collapse

I can't stress how important this is. I know, not at this point in development, but it's something that I expect to be fleshed out at some point.

Good sound makes the experience light years better. I don't really like BF3's arcade gameplay, but you know why I still play it from time to time? Because it sounds amazing.

So please don't think that sound is an optional. Hire good audio designers and programmers when there's the possibility. That is all.

2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Yes, we simply did not work on that yet because we do not want to slap something in there that is not considerably better. :)

We are currently into looking into a combination of procedural generated sounds for the engine and samples for the rest. However, that will take some time still.

3. FrankHH

FrankHH
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the quick answer, you are amazing.

Also, when developing sounds in the future, keep in mind the proper use of dynamic range. Don't take part in the loudness war! :)

This can apply to all sounds (even the very small ones like menu clicking sounds).

#3 FrankHH, May 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

I agree that sound is extremely important for a game, and I for one care a huge amount about quality sound.
    Unfortunately sound is often one of the less important things from a development standpoint. Not that it's of overall lesser importance, it's just usually one of the later things to get done. When you have a barebones game, the engine and gameplay are always going to outweigh the importance of the sound, especially when more recording will be necessary as things are added. I think developers often leave final sound production fairly late.

I for one would love better engine sounds for cars, and less glitchy screech and crash sounds. I can see sounds taking a while really, it's understandable. I'm sure it won't be overlooked though.

#4 Braindead, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  5. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

6. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

7. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

Imagine this :eek: <3

p.s please employ JarHead :p

#7 JAM3SwGAM3S, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice