Solved Does putting part JBEAM files in mods folder not work anymore?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by BigE1205, Mar 25, 2019.

1. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

I have 2 differentials that used to work when saved in the mods folder, such as Documents\BeamNG.drive\mods\pickup\my_diff. This woker for a while but it seems everytime I go back to try and load the part in the D-Series, it isn't in the part selector. I know it used to work. Now it appears it doesn't. I discovered this after trying to make a transmission for the Moonhawk and finding it didn't work in that instance, then seeing my differentials didn't show up either. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

2. synsol

synsol
    Expand Collapse
    QA Lead
    BeamNG Team

it still works, seeing the path you indicated, you forgot the "vehicles" folder, it should be: documents / BeamNG.drive / mods / unpacked / vehicles / pickup / ...

3. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

I didn't actually. Apparently when I clicked 'copy address' it didn't copy that part, or i accidentally backspaced it out, my bad lol

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There is chance that there is other part with same name, then it gets bit random which gets loaded last.

To avoid that game of chance, set naming unique:
    {
    "etk_transmission_6M": { //make this as unique as possible, like your_cool_transmission_BigE1205
    "information":{
    "authors":"BeamNG",
    "name":"6-Speed Manual Transmission", // make this to what you want to show up in game
    "value":1800,
    },

So that would be:
    {
    "etk_transmission_6M_BigE1205": { //make this as unique as possible, like your_cool_transmission_BigE1205
    "authors":"BeamNG",
    "name":"My cool 6-Speed Manual Transmission", // make this to what you want to show up in game
    "value":1800,
    },

Of course there can be missing bracket or something like that too, but you can see that in console with tilde key ~

5. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

I changed the name that would show up in the parts menu to "2 Speed Automatic Drag Transmission." I'm not too sure on anything else at the moment as I'm not home. But again, like I said before my differential mods used to work. I had a D-series configuration saved before but after I think the last update or the update before that it stopped showing up and it loaded up an older version of my differential file with an older name. I can check when I get home later and will update accordingly

6. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

The first few lines of the trans code is as follows
    {
    "moonhawk_transmission_2A_drag": {
    "authors":"BigE1205",
    "name":"2-Speed Automatic Drag Transmission",
    "value":1600,

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Try if this changes anything, if not, then you need to perhaps hunt missing or extra bracket:
    {
    "moonhawk_transmission_2A_drag_BigE1205": {
    "name":"2-Speed Automatic Drag Transmission",
    "value":1600

8. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

No luck on that, but I tried something different. I copied and pasted the files for my front and rear differentials into Documents\BeamNG.drive\vehicles\pickup and my rear differential shows up in the parts menu for the D-Series and works like a charm. As for the front differential, it isn't showing up for what ever reason. Adding a 'vehicles' and putting the files in that makes the front diff show up but then the rear diff isn't available, and doing the same for my transmission file makes the game fail to load the Moonhawk and a ton of red text in the console

9. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

I've added the 3 files referenced above to this reply if someone wants to give them a once over and see if anything is out of order. It's kind of aggravating to me that I got the diff files to work before and now the game seems to ignore them along with the transmission, not letting me use the console to see where there's an error

Attached Files:

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You notice how first curly bracket is not glowing in color? You need to add one } to end of that file.
    upload_2019-3-28_14-10-25.png

For rear differential, might need more unique naming.

For differentials, variables need to be different for front and rear diffs, add F or R respectively to their variables so that game does not confuse them.

Those were at least what I quickly did spot, but didn't have time to test in game yet.
    --- Post updated ---
    upload_2019-3-28_14-21-54.png

Example of how to change:
    Code:
    {
    "pickup_adjustable_differential_F_bigE": {
            "name":"BigE Adjustable Front Limited Slip Differential",
            "value":250,
        },
        "slotType" : "pickup_differential_F",
        "slots": [
            ["type", "default", "description"]
            ["pickup_driveshaft_F","pickup_driveshaft_F","Front Driveshaft"],
        ],
       "variables": [
            ["name", "type", "unit", "category", "default", "min", "max", "title", "description"]
           ["$PreloadF", "range", ":1", "Front Differential", 30, 0, 100, "LSD Preload"]
           ["$LockCoefF", "range", ":1", "Front Differential", 0.125, 0, 0.5, "LSD Forward Locking Coefficient"]
           ["$RevLockCoefF", "range", ":1", "Front Differential", 0.0625, 0, 0.5, "LSD Reverse Locking Coefficiecient"]
            ["$finaldriveF", "range", ":1", "Front Differential", 4.266, 1.0, 6.0, "Final Drive Ratio"]
        ],
        "powertrain" : [
            ["type", "name", "inputName", "inputIndex"]
            //front diff
            ["differential", "differential_F", "driveshaft", 1, {"diffType":"lsd", "lsdPreload":"$PreloadF", "lsdLockCoef":"$LockCoefF", "lsdRevLockCoef":"$RevLockCoefF", "gearRatio":"$finaldriveF", "friction":5, "uiName":"Rear Differential","defaultVirtualInertia":0.5}]
        ],
    },
    }

11. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

ill be sure to keep the glowing bracket tip in mind going forward. Always wondered why that was. But even after copying exactly what you've shown for naming, both front and rear, they still wont show up in the parts menu for me
    Code:
    {
    "pickup_adjustable_differential_R_bigE": {
            "name":"BigE Adjustable Rear Limited Slip Differential",
            "value":250,
        },
        "slotType" : "pickup_differential_R",
        "slots": [
            ["type", "default", "description"]
            ["pickup_driveshaft_R","pickup_driveshaft_R","Rear Driveshaft"],
        ],
        "variables": [
            ["name", "type", "unit", "category", "default", "min", "max", "title", "description"]
            ["$Preload", "range", ":1", " Rear Differential", 30, 0, 100, "LSD Preload"]
            ["$LockCoef", "range", ":1", "Rear Differential", 0.125, 0, 0.5, "LSD Forward Locking Coefficient"]
            ["$RevLockCoef", "range", ":1", "Rear Differential", 0.0625, 0, 0.5, "LSD Reverse Locking Coefficiecient"]
            ["$finaldrive", "range", ":1", "Rear Differential", 4.266, 1.0, 6.0, "Final Drive Ratio"]
        ],
        "powertrain" : [
            ["type", "name", "inputName", "inputIndex"]
            //rear diff
            ["differential", "differential_R", "driveshaft", 1, {"diffType":"lsd", "lsdPreload":"$Preload", "lsdLockCoef":"$LockCoef", "lsdRevLockCoef":"$RevLockCoef", "gearRatio":"$finaldrive", "friction":5, "uiName":"Rear Differential","defaultVirtualInertia":0.5}]
        ],
    },
    }

12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Not exactly enough, variable names are missing letter that makes them unique to front or rear.

Also there can be something else, but in game hit ~ key and see red text in console to get information of what goes wrong.

13. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

Screenshot of the text attached, nothing referring to the Jbeam files in question that I can see

Edit: I replaced all my code from my Jbeam file with your code from the above post and it still seems to not recognize it

Attached Files:

• DesktopScreenshot20190330-210320100.png
    #13 BigE1205, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Well, you still might have some error, even one char missing or wrong makes things not to work, one has to be very precise with these, but as you can see everything works fine:
    upload_2019-3-31_8-5-31.png upload_2019-3-31_8-5-53.png upload_2019-3-31_8-6-54.png

Compare files to what you have, there is compare plugin for notepad++ which makes it easy, you just open file in left and right view, then go to plugins compare. If nothing still works then it can't be much else than files in wrong place. Correct place is Documents\BeamNG.Drive\vehicles\pickup and Documents\BeamNG.Drive\vehicles\moonhawk

Attached Files:

15. BigE1205

BigE1205
    Expand Collapse

I kind of feel stupid now. The entire time I was using the path Documents\BeamNG.Drive\mods\pickup\vehicles. I made a vehicles folder, with a pickup and moonhawk folder in it, dropped the files in and BOOM, all three working like a charm. Thanks for the help again. Can't thank you guys enough!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice