Drift Scenarios

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Themonkeyspitter, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Themonkeyspitter

Themonkeyspitter
    Expand Collapse

A drift scenario with outer clipping points on a racetrack would be super sick. I'm not sure how hard that would be since I'm not very sharp on modding, but would be sick.

2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Well, they would still need to add proper grip for tires to hold any drifts... And I guess it won't happen anytime soon

3. bobby_boulgat

bobby_boulgat
    Expand Collapse

you can download "drifting UI" and certainly activate it during a quickrace.
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/drifting-ui.2971/

4. Themonkeyspitter

Themonkeyspitter
    Expand Collapse

Holding a drift is definitely possible. It's difficult in beamng, but once you get it down it feels pretty realistic and super satisfying..
    --- Post updated ---
    Thats a good idea! I'll give that shot!

5. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

This. Realistic physics should happen first.

6. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

In that case it would need to be drift physics as BeamNG simulates actual tire grip very realisticly.
    Im assuming you all use wheels as a controller. The problem you might find is instead input and force feedback and has been covered to some extent in other threads.

7. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

i dont talk about force feedback. BeamNG has issues with lateral tire grip, and their tire grips aren't THAT realistic. Simcade enough to be better than your average Forza or Gran Turismo, but not realistic.

The main issue however is the effect of tire over terrain that gets messy. Driving on dirt or sand is like driving on slippery asphalt. Everything is perfectly plain but you get less grip.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

On dirt and sand i agree, its abit off BUT how much of that is up to the settings of the map itself i dont know. In earlier version for example there was too much lateral grip in the sand on the beaches of some of the maps. I do miss sliding out in that sand and flipping over.
    Lateral grip on roads of asphalt or concrete on the other hand is a whole different story. Looking at the comparison of the different tire types and real tire grip is an intresting read:

https://blog.beamng.com/a-look-at-tire-development-in-beamng-part-1/

Coyldnt find the wheel controller drift setup thread now but its in the forums somewhere. Handles for example subjects like self-centering which is vital for drifting.

I do agree that the overall lateral grip seems off, abit too twitchy in transition, no matter how hard your rear sway bar is set or how high your caster angle is (positive) the transitions are hard to get right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice