Driving The Hirochi Sunburst Sport RS at its Limits - Yes, BeamNG's Driving Physics are Realistic

Discussion in 'Videos, Screenshots and other Artwork' started by JackAttak, Jul 13, 2015.

1. JackAttak

JackAttak
    Expand Collapse

Even after the introduction of pressurewheels, some still believe that BeamNG's driving physics are not fully accurate. I figured I might as well upload this video that I recorded today to provide some proof otherwise, in case it's needed later.

BeamNG is huge fun with a G27 and the newly added FFB. I recorded this video while using my G27 and full manual shifting mode on the back roads of the East Coast USA map. This may not have needed a completely new thread, but I thought I'd made one so it was easily linkable in the future.

#1 JackAttak, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I think that BeamNG is currently in the same state that dirt rally was a few updates ago. The physics are solid, the controls are not though. While you can tweak the controls to make them work fairly well with a g25/g27 etc they still dont feel as good as other games. The update for Dirt rally that added in proper support for steering wheels changed the game from being ok to absolutely fantastic. Its gonna be awesome when that gets sorted in BeamNG, but the same can be said for dx11 support as well as proper audio as well. So its awesome that the devs are working on sorting all these important things. Im really excited for them all.

3. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I can truly knock pressure wheels with is the tires feel to have very exaggerated understeer.

Another thing I've come to notice recently is it's possible that suspension in this game may/may not seem to take longer than it should [Low travel stiff suspension] for the suspension to finish dissipating forces after hitting a very small bump on say a racetrack.
    [In simple terms it takes too long and requires too many rebounds to occur] But I might be wrong and be that guy that shouldn't have voice any opinion]

This is just my opinion, as far as I know it could be a very stupid one.

This is coming from a guy that has a pretty good knowledge of most suspension setups other than pull/pushrods.

It could also be noted that I however am left unable to jbeam one. /= I honestly can say I don't understand 75% of what goes on in suspension with jbeam despite me being a pretty descent jbeamer.

Also, the sunburst seems to be one of the vehicles in-game however that reacts a bump fairly well at speed considering my recent statement. [Sunburst is basically one of my least used cars in-game]

- - - Updated - - -

Also this game's Tires have about x75 more rolling resistance than they should..

And the ABS system [before the upcoming update that replaces it hopefully as seen in the devblog] is very poor.

- - - Updated - - -

About to post a video of me driving the Sunburst on Bathurst.

Prior to recording I only had 3 practice laps which were all in one go without any damages or collisions to the vehicle what so ever as the video also has.

I used my Xbox360 Controller in this video with dynamic input filtering to Direct.
    No vehicle edits just a stock "Duel Clutch Transmission: Racing Sunburst".
    The ABS is the main reason for any moderate mistakes during my lap.

2nd no Hand Breaks were used during this video until I passed the line at the end.

3rd I am Canadian and just have experience with the 67 panorama mod on Rfactor achieving fast lap times there.
    I have seen little to no events/videos on the racetrack that give me any racing line knowledge any racing line I use is just what I've developed for the track myself.

Check back in 10-30min for video. [Colours will be off due to Movie maker being used to render before editing in my editor due to accidental use of PICvideo M-Jpeg3 Codec :( Causing bad dark levels so I had to apply many video tweaks to achieve a better colour]

- - - Updated - - -

So this occurred during production...

(imported from here)and worse ->
    (imported from here)

... New thermal paste or better cooler anyone? [Case relatively clean]

None the less:

Video

Sorry for not editing out that skype noise mid video.. [Personal message sound I made]

#3 KennyWah, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Dagalufh

Dagalufh
    Expand Collapse

JackAttak, what steering lock do you use on your Logitech wheel?
    What number of degrees are set in the windows control panel/logitech software?

Damn nice driving!

5. JackAttak

JackAttak
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! It's set at the full 900 degrees.

6. Dagalufh

Dagalufh
    Expand Collapse

Nice, i can't drive that good with that high of a degree. Trying with alot less and thats working better for me. Currently i'm using around 400 degrees. Seems to be working rather well. I'm just to slow moving the wheel i guess.

7. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I use the full 900 degrees but with the linearity set to something like 0.7 or 0.8

I really wish they would allow for an "s" shaped steering linearity, i think it would help quite a bit. like this (ignore the axis labeling):
    discussion03telecom-graph3.gif
    Since the steering needs to be more responsive once i turn the wheel 15 deg or so, but not super twitchy before that point. But then it also needs to be less responsive once i get to more steering lock.

Although i would much prefer a "proper" solution to this. But im sure it will get fixed at some point, its just that there are quite a few important things that require attention.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice