1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Dynamic collision

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Holland, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

I'm making a map. And I'm making these tall objects, and my question is two questions, one can I make these objects blow in the wind like trees? I'm wondering on how that's done. And second is it possible to make the objects have collision, meaning when you fly through them they will cut/rip, tare? Is this possible to do?

#1 Holland, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. Tglvg11

Tglvg11
    Expand Collapse

Object collision is possible, but you would have to Jbeam them, which would require some additional effort. :p

3. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Are you saying Jbeam will make it blow or cut? And I know how to do jbeam.

4. thevidmaster

thevidmaster
    Expand Collapse

cloth as far as we, the community knows isnt simulated Yet (if thats what you're referring to) but if drowsysam can make a spaceship, then anything is possible

5. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

I was referring to a plastic material. And I know how to do a spaceship also.:p

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Cloth is easy... just make a grid of nodes and connect them, make the diagonal beams undeformable, but very low spring(just enough to make it not roll up into nothingness when you drive into it), and you can make it rip too I guess... But then you can only place it on the map as a vehicle.
    And wind isn't simulated for n/b... If it wasn't made of n/b, you could make it move in the wind the same way trees move in the wind...

7. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Oh okay, I see now, I'm doing the Jbeam for this objects now, but I'm having some trouble getting it all right. And it wouldn't really matter if it was set as a vehicle, will it? I mean it should stay on the map when released?

8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, you can place "vehicles" on maps permanently, but you can't rotate them yet.

9. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

I won't need to rotate them. Now if I make it a cloth material, can it rip when flow through?

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, if the beams are breakable, but it will only rip nicely if you have enough nodes.

11. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Now would I adjust beamdeform? And how many would you think it would take?

12. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It depends on what kind of cloth - do you want it to stretch permanently before tearing? If not, set beamStrength to be lower than beamDeform. Then it'll just rip.

Just make a grid with a high enough density, maybe 0.2m between nodes? I'm not sure what you're making exactly.

13. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

I just want it to tare when flown through. And stretch a little bit. Here's the model, the top point and down to the base will be the cloth material:

(imported from here)

14. Tglvg11

Tglvg11
    Expand Collapse

Ahhh nice! Those things would be fun toys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice