Dynamic Objects without jBeams?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by StolleJay, Feb 22, 2018.

1. StolleJay

StolleJay
    Expand Collapse

Hi,
    it is possible to create Dynamic Objects without jBeams (defined as Vehicles)?
    The reason i ask is that i want to create a Scenario with some Dynamic Objects.

If not it is possible to add such a function?
    I mean like it works with the Colission Mesh of the Objects.
    As example:

Instead of using this Hierarchy:
    - base00
    -- start01
    --- mesh
    -- Colmesh-1
    --- Colmesh-1

using this to create a Dynamic object:
    - base00
    -- dynamic01
    --- CoM (This here is a single Axis which defines the Center of Mass)
    ---- mesh
    -- Colmesh-1
    --- Colmesh-1

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

It's not possible.
    Everything you see moving is done via soft-body physics, hence Jbeam.

3. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

So in that case it would be to introduce another physics model i guess? Big task of course but im thinking of stuff like light poles, letter boxes, cones etc that doesnt really need to deform, just bounce around when hit. Would it be able to make a more CPU friendly jbeam (or would these already be very light on CPU) or will it not be possible to add those things to maps like WCUSA?

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

A physic model suitable for that job would be Rigid Bodies.
    The problem is that both of these engines would have to run at 2000hz (which for Rigid Bodies is really, really high) or you would end up with one 'skipping' into time/space.

Ideally would be to be group all kind of small 'props' into a single vehicle (50 separate cones objects handle worse than 50 cones grouped in a single vehicle).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Yes i was just reading up alittle on what comes out the box for Torque 3D when in comes to object physics, and found out it ships with PhysX (im not completely sure what im talking about here and also if that means anything for BeamNG). Read this btw: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d/overview/physics

Didnt think of that. Makes complete sense to get it to work the way BeamNG handles objects now. My knowledge on JBeams is more or less nothing but just reading the Wiki makes it sound like theres afew strings that the CPU shouldnt need to handle if the object is not meant/set to deform.

Im just letting my thoughts wander here so dont out in to much time on my questions, im just really into making this as effective as possible so these things interest me..

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

7. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, it does for me. I can see a problem in the making though and that is that we are spoiled with open world games, which is a huge task in so many ways, that many of our suggestions (atleast mine can be) come from what we have experienced in those. The ones existing have such a long history of engine development and huge budget that we simpy cant have it all in Beamng, although many modders do bring much of those things to BNG its still just so big of a task.

8. StolleJay

StolleJay
    Expand Collapse

Thats is exactly why is asked. some simple Barrels, Cones etc. which does not need to self deform would be good and would speed up the Loading Times of the Levels.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

As long as it needs physics, it needs to be nodes and beams, deforming is coming as a free on top of that.

In BeamNG only nodes are something, beams just holds nodes on place, rest, what you actually see, meshes and textures are nothing but magician smoke in a mirror to make appearance to nodes.

Without nodes object can't have a mass, it can't have speed, not even collide with anything.

Oh yes and triangles are just sensors and based on those sensors certain things happen too.

This is not real, this is like world in movie Matrix, it looks real, but reality is hidden and looks completely different, (I bashed it with many barrels so it glitched out, don't throw barrels at Pessima):
    upload_2018-2-22_18-4-38.png

This is real (beams):
    upload_2018-2-22_18-5-43.png

Also this is real (nodes by weight):
    upload_2018-2-22_18-6-45.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice