Dynamic Smoke

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Yotaak, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Yotaak

Yotaak
    Expand Collapse

Well, when I was in class, which is right now (I'm such a rebel xD) I was thinking about Dynamic smoke and how cool it would be if it was implemented in BeamNG.

Some cases where it would be useful ;

-Fog
    -Clouds (when flying airplanes for example)
    -Drifting
    -Burn outs
    -Engine blow
    -Steam coming out of exhaust
    -Oil touching hot parts on engine / exhaust.
    -Many others

Here is an example of what I mean.

Let me know what you think about my idea / suggestion :).

#1 Yotaak, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Mastertiti74

Mastertiti74
    Expand Collapse

Sure, it could be great ! But i think it's may be a problem for who using ATI graphic cards no ? (not my case) :confused:

3. Yotaak

Yotaak
    Expand Collapse

Well I amuse they would put it under graphics, so you could turn down the graphic settings (or turn Dynamic Smoke off) and increase your FPS if necessary.

4. Mastertiti74

Mastertiti74
    Expand Collapse

Oh yep I see !!! Nice idea ! +1 :D

5. joytech22

joytech22
    Expand Collapse

They don't specifically have to use PhysX, they could implement something that takes advantage of OpenCL for graphics-accelerated effects. :)

6. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

it looks like a particle with collision detection and simple physics. Seems like a fairly straight forward system. There's absolutely no reason to say they can't do it, even I can make something similar using floating boxes and a rigid-body object in Vpython. You can make a box or sphere push the objects around. Simply replace the box with a particle animation. It should only be done if they think it's needed and if its plausible.

In a demolition derby, for instance, you're going to have many cars generating many particles in a small and contained area. It might not work very well. You already have the thousands of complex particles that make up the cars -- nodes and beams, and plan to add hundreds more particles that also have physics floating around to represent smoke.

#6 Hati, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  7. Pyroxyde

Pyroxyde
    Expand Collapse

Mhm, thinking it's a good idea and seems easy to do (even if i don't know how any language). With a lot of vehicles, the engine can choose to only render the smoke of the player's car. A bit less impressive, but good looking anyway. No ?

8. Yotaak

Yotaak
    Expand Collapse

I guess that may be true, but what if it was a windy day (asuming theres wind in the cry engine). The smoke could get blown away instead of just staying in the air / ground.

9. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

I believe you've got the idea as they are just particle animations that deflect from the spawn point or even a specified wind direction, like with any standard game they are increasing in size and maybe duplicating as they live until they reach a specific size and fade away, but they have an added collision box around them so they deflect of other objects. So its quite simple but in practice will likely cause some headaches both during programming and in-game.

10. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Smoke would be a cool feature to add, more particle effects the better I say :D You could also do fire simulation and stuff too, perhaps even rupturing a fuel tank in a rear end crash causing the receiving car to blow up in flames (like FarCry 2 kinda) :p But seeing as the CryEngine already has this kind of stuff built in smoke could be included, don't quote me on that though, that's the devs jobs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice