Easier way to create road markings?

Discussion in 'World Editor' started by Jihad-Teppo, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Jihad-Teppo

Jihad-Teppo
    Expand Collapse

I find adding the divider lines etc manually by hand very tedious and inaccurate, is there a way to create them either automatically or combine them into a single texture for the decal road so i need to only drag once across the road surfaces?

2. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

You can just make a wider road with the markings on. Take a look at the files in the Route folder in my somerset map for examples. These were modified from the Altitude map, so also could look there.

This works for road markings like the central line (or edge lines).

If I was redoing the somerset map, I'd probably do the STOP markings and the give way triangles using the decals tool instead of the road tool.

Hope that helps.

3. Jihad-Teppo

Jihad-Teppo
    Expand Collapse

So i create a road decal that has all the markings i need? Could you help me with actually getting the texture to show up in the decal road texture drop down menu though? I couldnt get it working properly.

4. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

In general, the best way I find is to copy across a folder from another map. Feel free to take any decals or folders from my maps. Just switch the materials.json files as per normal maps. Then just modify the DDS files in gimp or Photoshop.

5. Jihad-Teppo

Jihad-Teppo
    Expand Collapse

Alright, thanks for the tips

• Like Like x 1
  6. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

For center lines you can duplicate the road (Ctrl-D) and change the material,
    screenshot_2022-10-10_22-30-46.png screenshot_2022-10-10_22-31-02.png screenshot_2022-10-10_22-32-01.png
    then press Ctrl-A to select all the nodes and adjust the node width and texture length.
    screenshot_2022-10-10_22-32-07.png screenshot_2022-10-10_22-32-25.png screenshot_2022-10-10_22-32-41.png screenshot_2022-10-10_22-32-44.png
    Works also in some cases for making edge lines, but the road line must be selected in SceneTree and moved sideways blindly, then usually all the nodes must be still fine tuned one by one.
    screenshot_2022-10-10_22-34-21.png screenshot_2022-10-10_22-34-38.png

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jihad-Teppo

Jihad-Teppo
    Expand Collapse

This is the method ive been using and its very tedious, especially since im doing fairly simple tarmac roads with minimal intersections where the markings would need to be changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Maybe they should create an advanced decal road editor. Like with the mesh road editor, you can select top, side, and bottom materials. Additional material selectors for the main road's decal center line, left and right edge lines, and L&R rough edges and their lengths and widths.
    Then lay up to six decal roads at once :).

9. el_ferrito

el_ferrito
    Expand Collapse

There is a road decal editor tool, but I've never used it so no idea how it works. Decals are definitely a faff though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice