Editing Suspension Height (Lift Kit)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by ShinyChicken7, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ShinyChicken7

ShinyChicken7
    Expand Collapse

I just have a simple question (if there is such a thing when it comes to these Jbeam files), is it possible to change a vehicle lift (more than a stiffer spring) without moving the nodes. I don't really want to move them because I'm not good at editing the model. I want a prerunner style rear end on the d15. I've tweaked the front for longer A arms and that's all good, but for the life of me I can't get the rear longer. I was looking at the //'d out precompression settings, but the truck freezes completely until I change those back. Any ideas?

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Precompression is what you're looking for. You can basically control ride height with that alone.

3. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

i can't seem to make it much higher using precompression

4. ShinyChicken7

ShinyChicken7
    Expand Collapse

I had the same issue with a height limit not much more than stock. I adjusted both the Shock and Leaf precompression with no luck.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure, but there may be a beam that is limiting travel? I tried just for kicks jacking precompression way up to 11 and it went way taller all of a sudden, but I couldn't get a usable spring out of that. Besides I'm looking for more pre runner style, as in something like 40% droop or more.

5. chevy65

chevy65
    Expand Collapse

i can get the height the way i want it but the spring is to stiff now i got the shock right but i cant figure out the spring, any help would be awesome.

6. ShinyChicken7

ShinyChicken7
    Expand Collapse

One more thing that I noticed is that the exhaust will limit the travel on the right side of the rear axle. o_O Removing it allows the right side to drop as much as the left.

7. kinney911

kinney911
    Expand Collapse

So far I've found suspension to be the most difficult thing to change within Jbeam. I've got engines pretty much down, but suspensions have so many different variables that it's not straightforward. In order to make a functional lift-kit, you've got to play around with all of the spring variables, not just precomp., because as you said, if you get it high enough, it turns the spring into a rigid beam making the truck impossible to drive. Same goes for coilovers, however i've found that the coilovers, because they rely on an independent (ergo hinged) structure, will break the supports if you extend them too far.

Here's my attempt at a pre-runner or trophy-truck style rear suspension. Tons of travel, extreme damping, and unfortunately, much more prone to rolling over while on asphalt. (if you drift corners, you should be fine.)

Also keep in mind that this type of tweaking is a slow process; this suspension took me a few solid hours of wiggling those numbers around, and I haven't even touched the shocks.

Code:
    {"pickup_spring_R_offroad": {
    	"information":{
    		"authors":"gabester",
    		"name":"Gavril D-Series Off-Road Rear Leaf Springs",
    	}
        "slotType" : "pickup_spring_R",
    	"scalebeamSpring":0.84,
    	"scalebeamDamp":1.3,
    	"scalebeamDeform":1.5,
    	"scalebeamStrength":1.78,
    	"flexbodies": [
    		 ["mesh", "[group]:", "nonFlexMaterials"],
    		 ["pickup_leaf_R_offroad", ["pickup_leaf_R", "pickup_leaftop"]],
    	],
    	"beams": [
    		  ["id1:", "id2:"],
    		  //lateral location
    		  {"beamSpring":5501000,"beamDamp":350},
    		  {"beamDeform":54000,"beamStrength":320000},
    		  ["ax3","fr10r"],
    		  ["ax3","fr10l"],
    		  //--REAR SPRINGS--
    		  {"beamSpring":32000,"beamDeform":180000,"beamStrength":260000},
    		  {"beamLimitSpring":51000,"beamLimitDamp":1000},
    		  {"beamDamp":0},
    		  {"beamPrecompression":1.55, "beamType":"|BOUNDED", "beamLongBound":0.4, "beamShortBound":0.95},
    		  //["axshr","fr17r","beamPrecompression":{"var":"rideHeight_RR","min":1.05,"max":1.85,"default":1.55}}],
    		  //["axshl","fr17l","beamPrecompression":{"var":"rideHeight_RL","min":1.05,"max":1.85,"default":1.55}}],
    		  ["axshr","fr17r"],
    		  ["axshl","fr17l"],
    		  {"beamPrecompression":1, "beamType":"|NORMAL", "beamLongBound":1, "beamShortBound":1},
    		  ],
    }

8. Duran

Duran
    Expand Collapse

where is the option for precussion

9. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

It's also worth noting that you may also have to end up changing the suspension geometry to allow for a higher ride height.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice