Electric Powertrain Devices

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by acynder, Jan 24, 2019.

1. acynder

acynder
    Expand Collapse

As an electrician, I know a few things about electricity, so I want to help to define the electric powertrain devices to the best of my abilities. First, the electromechanic devices:

Motors & Generators:
    The motors are a electromechanical machines that are built to the purpose to transform electric energy to cinetical one, that makes them a trasductor bettwen the electric devices and the mechanical ones. They are reversable, so they can produce electicity whit cinetical force. But whit lower performance. For motors, there are 3 types that are diferent enought to be diferent in game:
    DC-Series Motor (brushed): They are the most basic and old types of motors. They have a great low end torque but at high velocities they sufer from magnetic field rotation wich lowers performance and if they overev the colector sufers a lot of damange and destroys the motor in seconds.
    DC-Brushless/3-Phasic Syncronous Motor: They are the most recent and the most eficient type of electrical motors, also they double great as generators.They main downside is a lowend lack of response of the torque and the lack of high end performance.
    3-Phasic Asyncronous Motor: These are the top tier type of motors, they sacrifice a bit of eficiency in post of high end performance and instant response. Also these tolerate a relative overload whit ease.
    Also is important to note that these last 2 have a great tolerance to overreving, mostly limited by the bearings.

The generators are electromechanical machines that are built to the purpose to transform cynetical energy to electrical energy. For our intends and purposes they can be treated genericaly. Also they are bad motors.

Power Sources:
    Since generators have already been discussed. We will focus on the 2 left:
    Power Lines: These are an infine power source and receptor. They can be conected to various ESC's as their power source.
    Battery/Condersers: They are a finite power and receptor. They get hot if a high amount of energy enters or leaves it and if they get too hot they performance lowers and become less efective. These can be conected to powerlines and generators to recharge and to a various ESC's as their power source.

Power electric receptors:
    ESC's: These are motor controlers, they can control any number of motors as long has they have the same specs in parallel, wich means that they will do the same thing at the same time. Diferent motors should be avoided and diferent performing motors need diferent ESC's. Also they determine if a vehicle can use their motors as dinamic/regenerative brakes.
    Reostatic loads: They transforms electric excess of energy to heat, that canot be absorved by the batt or the Power lines. They conect directly to the ESC.
    Power breakers: They can be operated by UI, excess of energy passing trought them or by other means (configurable)

Also would be nice that vehicles could share an electric power network and comands (in a more configurable way) for composite vehicles

I hope this could clear some things for electric powertrains and thanks for reading. Also feel free to tell me if I got anything wrog or if you want to ampliate anything, Im gona make a tree scheme to see how they conect bettwen each other and upload it later.

EDIT: Here is a quik scheme of how it is wired up

Attached Files:

#1 acynder, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice