Electronc Diff lock(EDL) or Anti slip regualation(ASR) integrated in TCS

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Passat Alltrack, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Passat Alltrack

Passat Alltrack
    Expand Collapse

Would love to see this implemented on the more modern cars in the game, as most modern cars have it. The system where it uses the brakes on an independent wheel spinning to transfer power to the other. Would also be cool to have some uphill sections with the different surfaces on the grid map, like there already is but not with an incline so you could test it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

That's already there ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. btcb48

btcb48
    Expand Collapse

Any plans to implement this when ESP and TCS are fully off?

In BMWs context, over the past 15-20 years, the "Auto Differential brake" (ADB) will activate even when DSC and DTC (ESP and TCS) are off. This applies to VAG's EDL/XDS too.

Can't comment much on the older implementation in the earlier ASC (TCS) days as sources contradict there, some say that the system will cut throttle first before applying the single wheel braking effect. Some say the ADB still works when TCS is off, others say it doesn't...

In the current ADB implementation, the throttling effect of TCS can still intervene but only to a minimal degree in super extreme 1% cases when all driven wheels are spinning. Therefore, 99% of the time, the only effect is 1 wheel being braked across the open diff, acting as a virtual LSD. Good for extreme low traction events when TCS may be too intrusive. The system also monitors brake temperature and will dial it down when needed.

(Personal note: As ADB relies on the same hardware as ESP, I find it humorous when it's not implemented in certain crossovers and SUVs.)

Generally, the only complaint with BMW's implementation of ADB is that it can be a bit unpredictable kicking in.
    My understanding is that the max speed at which such systems activate has been creeping up over the years.

Note that the front axles of many AWD performance/super cars use open diffs with ADB like functions too.
    The system can also be made to work preemptively and combined with LSDs to get R35-esque Torque Vectoring, which Porsche also implemented. (Both on rear axles) These points may be of interest to relation to the Hirochi SBR4.

Or even without the LSD, resulting in Mclaren's current Brake-steer system and Ford's (3rd gen Focus ST brake-killing) TVS.

Interestingly, certain North American Fords of the 90's could be optioned with either an ASC+T like system or a LSD.... (Wink-wink-nudge-nudge)

Thanks for reading this wall of text.

4. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

You could technically do an ESC/TC mode where only wheel braking is active yea. (Remember that "Off" is also just another mode with all components disabled)
    I haven't investigated EDiffBrakes much since somehow it feels a bit unnecessary in game atm, I think our surfaces are a bit too perfect to have a ton of single wheel only spin where this makes.
    That's why the maximum speed up to which this happens before throttle is being cut instead is rather moderate. But there's nothing stopping you from playing around with more aggressive settings :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Passat Alltrack

Passat Alltrack
    Expand Collapse

It feels like it is implemented in the rwd etk 800 but if i have two wheels off ground with awd on the etk 800 it does not even try to send power to the wheels still on the ground, which cars is this implemented on then?

6. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

That's because with AWD cars you have no trustable reference for the actually correct wheelspeed. Hence why the effect is much less pronounced. It's implemented on all cars with ESP, just with varying intensity

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. btcb48

btcb48
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for replying.:D

Have played with the esc .jbeam and successfully added the functionality I wanted, disabling the throttle reduction and the yaw stabilising brake effect. Pleased to say that the SBR and modern ETK brakes can stand up to extended use of these. Also did a low-speed version for the Marshal and Roamer. It works well on AWDs too.

Have to admit that I don't agree with the point on the map surfaces though, the mod has proven very effective on hard driving on normal tarmac, when tackling uneven surfaces/moderate off-roading with otherwise open diffs, and especially on the black-iced surfaces on the Automation map if you stop at the wrong place :eek:.

(I would concede that my preference for the mod is fuelled by the freedom of not being slowed by ESP/throttling and the system being based on an IRL implementation. It's a game after all, it's equally fun testing ESP and also seeing what happens without it.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice