Unsolved Engine troubles [Stupid question(s)]

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Fuzzwad, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

I feel ridiculous for even having to ask this, but how do I go about, y'know, adding an engine? I'm working on a completely from scratch mod, but the wiki article seems outdated, and even by using it's instructions it wouldn't work (I got sound and revs, but the car didn't move.) I've been looking through the official vehicle's jbeams, and I try to copy (as in emulate, or mirror, you know what I mean) what's in their jbeams as to how the engines and stuff work, but I can't seem to figure it out. I took the jbeam template from here Engine and edited it to my preferences, then attemped to use slots so it would work- I think you get the point, I have no idea what I'm doing. Let me know if you need any other files, I'll put them up.

Also, I may just turn this into a thread for all my stupid questions, as I have no doubt there'll be more.

Attached Files:

2. christianzee2002

christianzee2002
    Expand Collapse

Do u have a transmission

3. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

Not yet, I wanted to see if the engine would be there at all, and when I loaded the new jbeam my vehicle doesn't even show up.

4. christianzee2002

christianzee2002
    Expand Collapse

You might be missing a bracket somewhere.........One bracket error and the whole thing doesnt show up

5. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

I'll check, no telling if I'll catch it though. Thanks!

EDIT: I found the bracket error, it was around the new "slots" area. The car shows up in game again, and I can find the engine in the parts menu (it's not default selected though.) I selected it and I get power, but again, the car doesn't actually move. I think the engine jbeam has the transmission already in it.

#5 Fuzzwad, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  6. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

Okay, so transmission's in, engine's in, there's gears and everything. Just no power to the wheels. It's probably just something stupid staring me in the face. If anyone wants a look at the files, here they are.

Attached Files:

7. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

We changed the system with the last update of the game. The new system is called powertrain.

Here is the wiki article about how to covert your engine etc. to the new system.

8. Fuzzwad

Fuzzwad
    Expand Collapse

THANKS YE! That's what I needed. I feel kind of ridiculous for not seeing this sooner, but it's whatever now. Again, thanks!

Also, since I have a boatload of other questions on this, should I just turn this one thread into a list of questions, so I don't load up this forum with a bunch of threads?

9. meywue

meywue
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    BeamNG Team

Yeah, just drop them here...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice