Everything Windows 10 | General Discussion

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Whippy, Jul 27, 2015.

?

What do you think so far?!

1. I wish it came out sooner!

6.7%
  2. It's okay, I miss a few features but I'm enjoying the new ones!

60.0%
  3. I wish I went back to my last windows copy

20.0%
  4. I moved to Windows 10 because its the last Windows and I'll have to use it one day.

13.3%
  1. Whippy

Whippy
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I can't make up my mind if I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on day one or not, I have hype for the new windows operating system and I really want to get off 8.1 for a change, but like anything else on day one, things will be broken, but since Microsoft has a tendency to release a good operating system then a bad operating system after each other. (like XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10... 10 is in the cycle to be the "good" OS). But what I'm scared of is getting a new OS for most of my programs to be broken! Like how Mirrors Edge worked on my 7 system, but not my 8! some games and software that worked on XP fine has been broken since 8.1 (I'm looking at you Off Road Drive.)

I cant make up my mind, so what are your thoughts?

Are you going to wait or are you going the second its out?

Are you doing a clean install or just write over the old OS?

Are you willing to have Windows 10 for a year for free and pay $120 exactly one year later?

I'm curious :p

--- Update ---

I've made this a General Discussion page since it appears that this is the only Windows 10 page I can find (unless there is another one that I missed). Feel free to talk about anything Windows 10.

---Update---

Changed the title since Windows 10 is now out in some parts of the world, feel free to mention anything you like about Windows 10!

-No "MAC IS BETTER IN EVERYWAY U SCRUB OMG WHY DO YOU EVEN USE WINDOWS ARE YOU TOO CHEAP 4 A MAC LOLOLOL" business.

-Keep it to Windows, you can mention other operating systems to compare certain features (like Safari and the new IE), but no fanboying please :p

#1 Whippy, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

Re: Who's upgrading to Winodws 10 on day one?

No, I'm perfectly happy with my highly customized Windows 7 Ultimate.

I don't really see a point to upgrading, my SSD doesn't need any more writes than I already throw at it, plus I know my way around Windows 7 better than my hand. I absolutely despise Windows 8, the start menu really isn't the issue, just the idea of apps, and tiles, and whatnot. This is a computer, not a smart phone.

Windows 10 seems promising, but I realize I'm never going to use Edge, because I'll have installed Chrome, I'm never going to use Cortana, because just like Siri it's completely useless and I don't like things collecting my voice information, and I'm not going to use the app store thing, because that's what the internet is for. So when it comes down to it, I would be essentially upgrading for... what features? The only one I want is DX12, but nothing supports that yet so who cares.

Oh, and if I ever was to upgrade, I always format and fresh install. I still don't trust Microsoft to soft-install an OS. That's what happens when you're raised on DOS, grow up on 95, go through school through XP, and work with 7.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Jury still out for me. I think I'll wait and see, hell got a year to do it.

4. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

nah I will stick to windows 8. knowing windows 10 would probably be shit so windows 8 for me.

5. VeyronEB

VeyronEB
    Expand Collapse

Nope, maybe and only when i get a DirectX12 graphics card and games actually start using it. So a few years at least. For now i'll stick with windows 7, going to skip the mess that is windows 8 thankfully.

6. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I'll probably do it when I feel un-lazy enough to. Took me months to switch from 8 to 8.1.

7. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I probably will be. I have no reason not to, especially considering I have a DX12 capable GPU, installation of Windows only takes about 15 minutes nowadays, and I can upgrade without formatting.

8. Whippy

Whippy
    Expand Collapse

Oh, is DX12 capable only on the 900 series? and I thought that was coming to 8.1, is it a 10 exclusive? I might actually upgrade sooner then to try out DX12, I might do tests on before and after.

9. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I know the 980 and 980Ti are, anything else you'd have to check. There's some other weird thing that's called 11.2 or something that most cards will support, which seems to be almost DX12 but not quite.

10. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

I will upgrade as soon as it's available.
    Maybe it will make GTA Vs textures load at more than 1kb/s.(it's really that bad.)

11. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Well Microsoft has their own keylogger in Win10 apparently, which is kind of invasion of privacy...

So I really don't know.

100% not day one, I am on Win 7, great except for boot time/program delays.

12. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to upgrade though, i will do it on another drive and keep win 7 as my main until i'm comfortable with win10 not screwing things up. I'm really looking forward to DX12, the benchmarks look extremely promising and seeing as my card is compatible i want to see the benefits for myself. Hopefully if it runs smoothly within the first couple of weeks i will fresh install on my SSD after formatting win7. This is the only OS i have had hype for since vista (oops) so i'm hoping i will get used to it faster. I had the early build on my old laptop but nothing worked (I could never get anything to run correctly without crashing) which is understandable.

13. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

dangerous half knowledge

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10s-keylogger-fiasco-has-been-blown-out-of-pr-1642931793

I'm too old for jumping right into the boat - probably will wait 1-2-3 months so customization programs get their time to adopt.

14. Josh

Josh
    Expand Collapse

I will be upgrading to Windows 10 ASAP i'm currently on Windows 8.1.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I;ve completed it start to finish on windows 8 without issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Every tech preview of windows has a keylogger, people just didnt winge about it before because NSA and hacking scandals didnt occupy the headlines. They are always removed in release builds.

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I will be updating my tablet on day one as a test device. But my PC will be staying on Windows 7 for a little bit until i decide to switch that over.

17. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

We have not tested beamng on windows 10 yet, just so you know.

18. iheartmods

iheartmods
    Expand Collapse

Well obviously, it isn't out yet ;)

19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

The developer previews are out so they totally could have done if they had any inclination to do so. It will "probably be fine" though.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Tech preview is..... Tech preview is for devs like BeamNG to perform testing on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice