Exhaust Pops and Crackles

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by [DFS] DXing MonsterJ, Jun 21, 2019.

1. [DFS] DXing MonsterJ

[DFS] DXing MonsterJ
    Expand Collapse

Considering all the sound updates recently, adding exhaust crackles and pops after lifting off the gas would be a nice touch. I know misfiring is already implemented, but not all high powered cars can actually shoot flames. I was thinking of cars like the SBR4 or the Sunburst that would have this feature on lower end, basic models, but it would also be possible for race cars too.

This Dodge is a great example of what i'm thinking of :

#1 [DFS] DXing MonsterJ, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

yeah i have always wanted this.
    also a revamp to the preexisting backfire sounds. They sound- artificial i guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

I really wouldn't call the current Beam feature 'misfire' its definitely a backfire. That challenger most likely had an after market exhaust, and quite possibly a tune to make that happen. It seems a bit excessive for just an aftermarket exhaust. In beam, if you make your own engine/exhaust, im pretty sure you can make exhaust backfires more common.

4. [DFS] DXing MonsterJ

[DFS] DXing MonsterJ
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree with you more about the backfires sounding artificial. I can't remember what racing sim it was but the backfires sounded AMAZING.
    --- Post updated ---
    I noticed a bit of a crackle sound while driving a sequential sunburst whenever the car would shift, it sounds pretty good but I would also like to see crackles when you let off the gas. They don't even have to be THAT excessive as the Challenger's. Also I called it a "Misfire" because that's the same word the devs used in their update blog LOL.

Edit: They actually used the word "Afterfire" not "Misfire"
    I always seem to get these terms mixed up ugh.

This video is much more accurate for what I would like to see :

#4 [DFS] DXing MonsterJ, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

Code:
    "instantAfterFireCoef":0.5,
    "sustainedAfterFireCoef":2.0,
    instant = the big boom and fireball
    sustained = the crackles

6. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

oh sheet
    forgot that was a thing
    i still think the sounds should get a small revamp though.

7. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Vehicles will definitely crackle when you lift off the gas if they are running an aggressive tune and race exhaust. The Group 4 Bolide is a good example

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. [DFS] DXing MonsterJ

[DFS] DXing MonsterJ
    Expand Collapse

Ah, I see. Even though this is the case I would still say that the crackles and the backfires sound a bit too much alike. My bad. But like Kueso said, a revamp would be nice. :)

9. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

yes the sounds are definitely not amazing, they need some work for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Most stock cars, even super high performance stock cars, have an exhaust and fuel injection/spark timing that prevents this because it ruins the catalytic converter. However all cars would realistically be able to do this as long as either the timing is late enough, there's enough fuel being injected, or both. Having a straighter exhaust would only help make it more obvious whenever the afterfire happens, but again, IRL it would ruin the cats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice