Facebook buys Occulus

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Bubbleawsome, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Yep. Panic is now ok, even advised.
    I don't have a link here at school, but I'm sure a kind soul will post one later.
    Does this change any of the devs plans on the Rift? Notch has cancelled all contracts with them as of now, but I think that's a bit crazy. Sucks for the kickstarters.

#1 Bubbleawsome, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

Yes, tdev said he's removing rift support.

And I'm no longer pre-ordering the dev kit..

3. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

It's a god damned tragedy. wtf do they expect to do with it? I can't understand all the market speak they're spewing.

I'm perfectly OK with Notch's move... He has a blog post explaining it.

Hopefully some of the other rigs that are emerging are comparable to the rift... I was really hoping to get one.

4. Jon

Jon
    Expand Collapse

5. Petrovsky

Petrovsky
    Expand Collapse
    duplicate account of banned user AwesomeSauce

What if facebook bought car makes like Chevrolet or Mercedes-Benz? :p

6. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

7. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I wonder what facebooks reaction is? The occulus team could retire, but Facebook made a bit of a gamble. Even if they just give it up, $2b isn't small.

8. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

wait, that actually happened? someone said they did on some twitch stream, but i just thought they were trolling, now i'm sad, i was planning on getting the consumer version, mostly for beamng as well, of course, now there's no point in beamng, but will probably still get it, provided ets2 doesn't lose rift support (if they do get rid of it, then **** you facebook, you just ruined something awesome)

9. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

My Reaction :mad:

#9 JAM3SwGAM3S, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  10. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Is this technology really gonna be wasted on social media? Facebook just keeps pissing me off more and more. This and these constant damn emails "you have 3 friend requests and 4 pokes" IF I FUCKING CARED I'D GO ON FACEBOOK AND CHECK
    I might log onto facebook for the first time in like a year just to tell Mark what a dick he is. Gonna cyber bully him on a website he created. WHAT NOW MARK!? ​HUH?!

#10 Potato, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  11. stephen f

stephen f
    Expand Collapse

12. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

turn email notifications off then...

13. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I don't even think I remember my password. I had to delete the app from my phone cause no matter how many times I left that stupid conversation and turned notifications off, IT KEPT BUSSING EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME SOMEONE POSTED IN IT.
    No one young is using facebook any more. Let it die a slow death. Wait it'd be better if I'd die faster before it sucks up any more tech.

14. LiLFunnyMan

LiLFunnyMan
    Expand Collapse

I've heard that their going to make Facebook a virtual reality... Kinda makes me die inside.... lol

15. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

So they are making social interaction... reality? What? But i can go outside and meet up with my friends. I don't understand what they mean by that. maybe i'm just missing something here?

16. jotadoze

jotadoze
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it's facebook trying to help antisocial creeps...

17. kubus765

kubus765
    Expand Collapse

I hate facebook

18. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

This man summed up the thread in 3 words.

19. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Im sorry but i don't see all the fuss.
    All Facebooks support will really do is ensure occulous has more money and can do things that were previously way out of budget such as developing its own marketplace for games, perhaps even its own operating software. I mean they're not going to cancel the whole plan of making it a gaming device and turn it solely into some weird VR online interaction unit. They're not retarded and they just spent 2 Billion on it, far more than they could ever make through advertising on the platform etc meaning its not a purely profit lead purchase.
    Even if they do over-do the whole FB interaction thing, who cares??? Indie devs will just make there own marketplace for it, they have done before and theres no reason they can't again.
    At worst this will just bring some FB branding, perhaps a platform which integrates FB a little more into the experience, no differently from how steam integrates itself with your PC, or how Live/PSN integrates with your Xbox or Playstation.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that i still support the rift, its still an amazing bit of kit, and in my eyes anyone like Notch who claims to be pulling all support for the device is overreacting and will come crawling back when he realises the license he holds with Microsoft will stop him ever integrating MineCraft with the only viable alternative made by Sony.
    So Tdev, please don't pull your support for what will still be an awesome bit of Kit, and please don't let a little bit of FB branding make everyone go crazy.

20. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i see you're out of date, that expired a LONG time ago, there's already a ps3 edition of minecraft out, as well as an ps4 and xbox one edition in development ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice