Fixing d-series rust skin.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Deleted member 197136, Sep 5, 2018.

?

Do you want a new rust skin?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Deleted member 197136

Deleted member 197136
    Expand Collapse

While the Barstow and moonhawk have a great rusty and old skin, the d-series looks weird. I think it should be changed to be more like the Moonhawk and Barstow.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

In addition, I'd like to see the D-series skin become colourable in such a way that it can be used to simulate either of the two-tone paint jobs:
    screenshot_00246.png

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Deleted member 197136

Deleted member 197136
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-9-8_10-25-55.png
    this is a black Barstow. with the rust skin on it the color is faded and the car actually looks old.
    upload_2018-9-8_10-27-23.png
    this is a Black D-series with the rust skin. The color is not changed and the rust skin is hidden. I hope they update this skin in the next update...

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The D-Series rusty skin, unlike the most recent Barstow/Moonhawk rusty skin, was made before a neat recent-ish feature that allows for more flexibility with textures.
    Just updated it to use the newer method. You'll notice it doesn't blend with the car color anymore.
    Will be available in the next update.

• Like Like x 17
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

Support for two-tone paint? For rusty two-tone paint jobs?

6. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

That looks fantastic! Finally the old work truck looks like it's had some rough usage :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Deleted member 197136

Deleted member 197136
    Expand Collapse

Now I can use the rust skin, thank you!

8. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Which feature was that? I'm working on a few rust-ridden skins myself, and I'd really like to take advantage of whatever magic you're using... :cool:

9. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Likely the colorable skin system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

https://www.beamng.com/threads/deve...r-contributing-post.1575/page-815#post-817443

You can choose which UVMap to use on the diffuseMap.
    As mentioned earlier, the Barstow and Moonhawk rusty skin do take advantage of this, so have a look at their files.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

What does 'support' means there? There is no "Rusty Two-Tone" skin.

If you want, you can easily mod that in, by mixing the current Two-Tone skin and the rusty skin:

Although you still need to wait for the next update, since you need the adjusted rusty skin.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Acrain7

Acrain7
    Expand Collapse

will this new system being used on the rusty skin come to pass for the dirty skin aswell?

14. Aerohead1999

Aerohead1999
    Expand Collapse

I noticed with the D-Series when you have the rust skin The inside of the bed is shiny and looks odd and i don't know if im the only one but When i put the camper shell the two rear pillars make the skin stretch and makes a strip witch makes it look weird.
    20180909155401_1.jpg <--- You see with this Picture The inside of the bed is chrome like you see the Jeeps reflection slightly and it makes it unrealistic knowing that I have the color set to matte white no chrome what so ever
    20180909155445_1.jpg 20180909155450_1.jpg 20180909155459_1.jpg With these pictures you see that there is a line like i was talking about before It makes it like i said unrealistic i noticed that a year or two ago people where talking about this for a moment. It might be my game that might have the skin do that with the camper shell or chrome bed liner, But i would like to see this rust skin be like the Latest barstow or moonhawk skin.

15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

For me rust in D-series looks to be in odd places.

Usually rust happens around wheel arches and lower part of the vehicle, those edges at top would be like last places to rust. Exception of bed and places that get rubbed when you load stuff to your bed.

Those top two stripes though, they look to be at odd place.

This is realistic, just does not look so 'cool' I guess:
    upload_2018-9-10_15-41-44.png

upload_2018-9-10_15-43-32.png

Those who have stood still for 30 years or more might get rusted from top more, but it is still not exhibiting much of vertical lines of rust like D-series rust skin:
    upload_2018-9-10_15-44-21.png

Even in this, which does show some horizontal rust, it is still mostly vertical that does show up a little on some horizontal edges, but this is one of the most extreme examples that has probably stood still for that 30 years or more:
    upload_2018-9-10_15-47-41.png

As realism is a goal, I think these horizontal rust stripes kinda pops out? At very least it could use more of rust area to top to exhibit that level of horizontal rust lines.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Rust happens in different places depending on where the vehicle is when it starts to decay.

In northeastern and midwestern states, rust happens from the bottom up as a mixture of road salt and wet slush strike and stick to the bodywork. Because it contains salt and sticks for so long, this type of rust is generally more likely to penetrate deeper and cause structural damage.

Cars in dry southwestern states like Arizona and Utah generally rust from the top up, as the sun bakes through the paint and exposes bare metal. This generally starts in areas that the factory paint would be stretched thin - like horizontal creases along the bodywork. I think the vertical lines depend on the amount of rain the vehicle receives - in some cases, it's only rusty water seeping down over serviceable paint.
    Here's a car rusting in Thompson springs, Utah:

Cars from the southeast rust from the top up in strange "patches" that I think come from standing water on the vehicle, but you can still see that wear on the paint is concentrated along creases in the bodywork. Here's a truck found on Mississippi craigslist:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm finding it incredibly difficult to find any examples where creases have been rusted well without much rust on top, usually top is well gone from paint to rust before there is rust in those kind of horizontal creases.

Especially difficult to find something that has gone so far that is relatively close to age of D-series.

Then again in Italy rust might happen bit differently and especially on Italian cars. When I search rusty car Italy, it gives all sort of things:
    upload_2018-9-10_18-44-15.png upload_2018-9-10_18-46-8.png

18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Is it possible that we will ever get an extra skin layer to add effects like rust instead of having them as a unique skin?

It would make it easy to have different levels of weathering ontop of whatever basic skin is wanted (instead of having an unreasonable number of weathered skin variants) but I’ve noticed whenever adding another skin layer is brought up as a solutions to scratches people often have various concerns.

19. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

Deleted

#19 Nathan24™, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  20. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

The rust does not seem to appear at all on the rear door of the extended version of the D series. Hopefully that's gonna be fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice