WIP fixing Russian mods

Discussion in 'Land' started by auntie, May 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auntie

auntie
    Expand Collapse

No idea if any of this is legal or allowed, but something I've been doing for personal use.

Some of you who have ventured beyond the bounds of the official forum (*cough*World of Mods*cough*) may have run across this little beauty. The 1975 Ford LTD. As far as Russian mods go it was better than average. The jbeam matched the mesh mostly, and the mesh was relatively simple. It's basically a mesh from a GTA SA mod, stripped of some detail. It looks like the modder, Alex Gunchokov, converted the GTA mesh until he got frustrated or bored. It had a semi operational speedometer, some glowmaps, control animation, and it was blue. On the bad side, the mesh was missing some largish parts of the model, the suspension was unstable, it was grossly out of date, etc...I thought it would be a good place to start to learn about Jbeams and Blender and such. So I've been playing with it, trying to get it right. I'm a physics student/scientist/engineer and grew up around these old boats. Using the wonders of math and computer simulation, I've been trying to unravel the mystery of how these old monsters actually performed, especially the muscle era cars where the gross horsepower ratings were just straight fiction for the most part. I've got this LTD working about right, which is just terrible. I fixed the suspension, the actual big Ford's had 4 link suspensions, and this thing had a weird setup that caused crazy axle oscillations. Also the front suspension would snap under any aggressive cornering. These old boats would plow and tear up asphalt like a pig, but they usually held together. So I think I've got the suspension worked out. I built simulations for the actual net outputs of the available engines at the time, and think I have a pretty realistic set of powerplants in the 351M-2V, 400M-2V, and 460-4V in standard and police interceptor trim. They are all disappointing. The big 460 police package will hit 60 in just under 9 seconds with a satisfying but sad amount of wheelspin, and cross the quarter in a little over 17 seconds at around 82 mph. If you keep the pedal down long enough it will eventually cruise at ~120mph, just don't try too much in the way of turning at that speed.

Anyhoo, I've got thermals and pressurewheels working, two exhaust systems (stock single and police duals), the color picker works, I gave it a 140mph speedometer because I've never seen an 85mph speedo on a mid 70's car, recalibrated the animation of the needle, added more mesh details, particulates are working, some fire stuff works, you can put any 5 lug wheel on it, and all the lights now work. Here are some pics pretending like I stumbled across it on a trip through Utah :)

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00000.png
    • screenshot_00002.png
    • screenshot_00003.png
    • screenshot_00004.png
    • screenshot_00005.png
    • screenshot_00001.png
    • screenshot_00007.png
    #1 auntie, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 15
  2. JK_S60R

JK_S60R
    Expand Collapse

Sooo... Basically, you took a (I'll admit it) cool Russian mod, and tried to rework it? I mean, some people say that this kinda stuff is bad, but, it is great! Good job by now! I have the standart S****Y version of this, i not so really loved it, until I bumbed over this thread with my car! :D I hope you will make me, and hopefully the others happy with this!

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

sounds like a good idea but with both the bandit and the charger its a good idea to send the files to them so they can use them when they update their mods.

4. whyipaybillz

whyipaybillz
    Expand Collapse

can you do this to all the cars cause I cant get these mods of that site you got this off

5. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Fixing Russian mods. I want to see how this turns out. Can you fix the Zonda next? I would like to see a better version.

6. ★ Godzilla

★ Godzilla
    Expand Collapse

Also the Aventador. I think the Aventador is broken :p

7. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

He would fix cars he prefers plus that car is so bad it isn't worth working on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ajc918

ajc918
    Expand Collapse

Finally people being civil on this subject. I think this is great, and I wish more people worked on (and completed) russian mod fixing. They have some cool cars that people want, but most of them are terrible, and the mods that are on the Beam N.G. site are getting boring, and the really neat ones are going out of date, and haven't been updated, like the '49 Cadillac, the Mercedes W124, and many others. I hate it when other people are bashed when they try do fix Russian mods, but I think because you credited the creator, these bashes left you alone.

Great work!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ★ Godzilla

★ Godzilla
    Expand Collapse

Oh okay. Last time I played it, it was so awful.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't mean it isn't possible its that its not really worth all of the work that you would need to put into it.

Who needs super cars anyway.

11. JK_S60R

JK_S60R
    Expand Collapse

Oh, and also... Can you please, do the MAZ Bus? That is the only Public transit bus out there! I like it! So... please?

12. Powered_By

Powered_By
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't think some mods from Third Party websites deserve to get any improvement...

• Like Like x 1
  13. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, a lot of Russian modders, steal things from the BeamNG forum. Look here!

14. ThreeDTech21

ThreeDTech21
    Expand Collapse

I think this is a good idea, the car models are already made, the jbeam just needs updating, I may give it a shot myself if I get the time, I say go for it!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr. Twiglesworth

Mr. Twiglesworth
    Expand Collapse

Wait a second, myCharger is in there. I'm not Russian, is it broken?

16. JK_S60R

JK_S60R
    Expand Collapse

May I ask, what Charger?

17. auntie

auntie
    Expand Collapse

Oh geez, sorry, no. Your Charger isn't a broken Russian mod :)

I started down a rabbit hole with BeamNG when I rewrote the performance timer app to give me 0 to whatever times plus a quarter mile time and speed. I originally downloaded your Charger, but the textures required the bandit to be installed, and then after loading both of them, I wanted to figure out what the conflict was, so started teaching myself about the materials file, textures, etc... One thing led to another, and the next thing I know I'm learning about jbeams, blender, modelling, pressure wheels, thermals, etc. I just thought the re-textured dash's were cool so shared them as an aside. I'll take them down.

I think there has been a misunderstanding. I didn't start this thread for requests. It's more of a show and tell. I'm a student and can't spend all my time on Beam mods. Bringing the LTD up to date has taken a great deal of time and it's still not quite right. But I thought it was a good place to start because the model wasn't bad, the original jbeam fit the mesh (mostly), and it was relatively simple (not too many parts in the original).

I thought that by fixing it, it would be a good place to learn all the things required to get a car working in the game, so when I have more time, I can put some of my own models in the game. I'm happy to release the updated LTD when it's as done as I'm comfortable with, and if it's allowed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. michaelbooster3

michaelbooster3
    Expand Collapse

How about the 2011 Kia Ceed?

19. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

Please remember that these aren't all Russian. Some could be made by an inexperienced Nigerian. Please don't be offended, Nigeria.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Powered_By

Powered_By
    Expand Collapse

Another good point made. This is why I think another term should be used to refer to car mods that are terrible in quality and performance.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice