Flatout-like physics mode.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Gavril T-series, Feb 11, 2018.

?

Can it be in BeamNG?

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. No.

22 vote(s)
    75.9%
  3. Your variant, comrade!

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Gavril T-series

Gavril T-series
    Expand Collapse

(Disclamer: the text below can contain mistakes)

Hello.
    I want to introduce my idea- Flatout like physics mode.
    If you ever played in 1 or 2 Flatout, you can remember that cars could be damaged, but still were able to drive.
    So, it would be nice to have similar damage system in BeamNG (as option, of course).
    What will be changed in this mode:
    - Wheels can't change their positions after crash. (even in new Wreckfest wheels are changing their's position)
    - Car's chasis (or frame) is indestructible and can't change it's form.
    For example, let's take T-series. In this mode it:
    - It's frame is indestructible.
    - It's cab can't attach from frame.
    - Suspension can't destruct.
    - Axles can't detach from suspension.
    (For better imagine, watch some videos about derbies in first Flatout)

What it will give the game:
    - More arcade mode to make races more interesting.
    - Game can attract Flatout fans, which aren't with Wreckfest's damage system.
    - Probably, it will make less work for CPU.

This game mode will be additional an mustn't be main.

2. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Kind of goes against the purpose of the game (to be a realistic simulation), so I highly doubt such a feature will be implemented by the developers (or well received by the community)

You're best bet is to learn how to edit jbeams, and perhaps make internal components (suspension, subframe) reinforced/indestructible, though I can't see it working out well (could be wrong though)

A better idea yet would be to just play Next Car Game instead;)

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

FLT_MAX ftw!

It might be possible, but still I think tires might blow up, I doubt those could be made that strong and still act as tires?

When I read BeamNG company website, they seem to imply that anything should be possible, build whatever you want, so I think also this might be something included in anything.

It might be out of focus of BeamNG itself, but as a mod just start changing beam deform and strength values and make such mod, check out WIKI at top of page for some information of how and build!

4. NistingurA

NistingurA
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG is about realism, not arcade style banger racing..

5. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

While I think this would be interesting, I highly doubt it will be done. The devs just want to focus on one physics setting, and that's the realistic one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I up'd this a few days ago, in my *Flat tire and Derby mode'-thread. Dont know if thats what caused you posting this or if we think alike, although... we think alike. Thinking that making certain jbeams or jbeam groups stronger should do the trick, maybe along with breakgroups not breaking. Arcade damage so to speak. Would draw a larger crowd than the oh-so-lovely realistic physics we have now and definitely make for some heated up races.

Ive been having an idea about LOD jbeams, if possible in some way and if so, that it could be a way to make its possible for more cars in the game at the same time, but with less CPU usage.

7. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

What you call arcare phisics would require basically a wholr new game, so why don't you just go play flatout?

8. Gavril T-series

Gavril T-series
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I agree with you that my suggestion will make game more arcade. But this game mode (or probably game) can attract much more people, then BeamNG has now (Because most of gamers are casuals, that's why War Thunder has about 50 000 active players, then WoT has more then million).
    So, if devs will make this mode, they will more players => they will have more money => they can develop BeamNG better.

9. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

But the people who play this game are sick of those arcade games and maybe want something more realistic? What's the point of making it worse?
    BeamNg wouldn't be that good as an arcade crashing game, as normal physics used in games like burnout or flatout are way better for stuff like that. Here, every single node placement matters, so removing the frame nodes or making them indestructible would make the rest of the body act weird in crashes. The same goes for suspension.

10. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

My man, we're tossing ideas around here, no need to go all out bananas.

We all love Beamng for what it is, thats the same reason we for example have ideas on how to expand it to a wider crowd. Ive been around since more or less day one of RoR, Beamng is THE only game i play but having a mode were you can have derbys without getting counted out in the first corner due to totaled suspension does open up alot of possibilities. If Beamng wouldnt be good, in your opinion, with less sensitive chassis, then the same goes for the newly released 'Realistic' damage mode in Wreckfest, doesnt it? See possibilities instead of, what i assume you are, fearing that Beamng will loose its soul.

11. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I'm saying that colissions in BeamNG work way differently than in any other game. In wrwckfest the wheel is essentially an indestructable object floating in the air, in beamng it wouldn't work as everything needs to be connected. Floating objects just won't work. Also the suspension would have to be removed which would lead to terrible handling. It is simoly impossible to do stuff like the ines you want without basically making a new game. Also.whis game isn't about crashing into stuff.

As long as this game is Jbeam based, it isn't going to work like flatout which I am happy about as you need to actually drive like in real demo debry instead of just brainless smashing into everything

12. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I think we are thinking about different things here since you can change the attribute vaules of a beam, in the jbeam. beamDeform and beamStrength are two big variables here.
    Form BeamNG Wiki:

"Where BeamNG gets its name - beams. These are the spring connections between nodes. A beam starts as simply a list of two node IDs to define the connection. But, it has many properties that can be set. The main 4 are beamSpring, beamDamp, beamDeform, and beamStrength. beamSpring is basically the stiffness or rigidity of the beam. beamDamp determines how much energy gets dissipated when the beam contracts or expands. To represent different materials, it's important to know their relative characteristics. Metal is very stiff and not well damped, while plastic is softer and more damped. Rubber is even farther past plastic with very low stiffness and very high damping. Important: If too much spring or damping is added to a beam, physics instability may occur! beamDeform is the threshold force at which the beam's deformation will become permanent. The lower this is set, the lower the force needed to permanently deform the beam. beamStrength is the threshold at which the beam breaks. This should always be above the deform threshold, except for special cases like glass. If beamDeform and beamStrength are close in value, the beam will be brittle. If beamStrength is far higher than beamDeform, the beam will be tough, more resistant to impacts."

Meaning if you set the vaules higher then youll get a more sturdy vehicle yes? For example, raise the beamDeform for the suspension parts to have it less prone to damage, also do that with beamStrength and you wont loose a tire as easy. See what i mean here?

I dont want BeamNG to become a all out destruction derby game, if so id just get Wreckfest, but instead im seeing possibilities in the ability to have less damage prone vehicles.

13. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Waiting someone doing something you want gets boring fast in life.

This helps you make a mod that is more arcade than other mods or official vehicles around "FLT_MAX" is magic word for deform and break, read more here and start building your dream! :)
    https://wiki.beamng.com/JBeam_Reference#beams

14. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I wish i had the time but right now i really dont :) Would be nice once in a while to just be able to start up BeamNG, bash cars around a track for 30 minutes without risking the side effects of reality lol. If i had to choose between BeamNG and a derby version id go BeamNG 101 times of 100 cause my brain is wired around replicating real physics all the way but still :p

15. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

16. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

The game is suppose to be real world physics the Arcade physics do not seem to be needed here I am trying not to be too negative about this, but I really dont see a realistic point to it, and with the physics engine used this is Torque3D it would take months to add in another "Arcade" physics engine into the game if it was possible....

17. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

If you can do 15 minutes a day, you might have something done already in two weeks.

18. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Only tossing ideas as mentioned nefore :) I dont want the whole physics to change as i hate arcade handling for cars for example, just thinking about a mode where the vital parts for driving is reinforced so to speak. Call it a 'Reinforced Mode' pr 'Strong Mode' if you will. So that you can have a race going on for a longer period of time, than what is actually realistic, which IMO could give a more intense experience, when youre in that mood :)

19. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Maybe but an idea like this is years down the line if its even thought about...

20. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I dont think itll take years to change the appropriate jbeam values unless ive misunderstood the Beams section of the Wiki completely...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice